PDA

View Full Version : Cam Help

ar0ck
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
LT-4 "Hot-Cam" For an LT-1 car is an emmisions legal cam :

24502586 Hydraulic Roller (LT4 Hot Cam)
This hydraulic roller cam is for service only for all V8 engines with roller camshafts. The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 279/287; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 218/228; and maximum lift with 1.6 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 525/525. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 112 degrees.

And some Comp Cam's that go anything over 279 Duration become non "street legal" Or "Not for Highway Use"

Can someone just exlane how this cams work, and how it would benefit a "bolt-on" stock internal engine?

j0n
02-04-2005, 05:34 PM
might be best off callin up comp cams and talking to someone over there

Fasterthanyou
02-04-2005, 05:59 PM
A cam is "legal" when it's company pays to get the cams tested in an otherwise stock engine. The test basically doesn't let you tune the EFI because that's considered tampering with emissions equipment. So they have to pass the emissions requirements for every state to be called 50-state legal.
Most of GM's "hot" cams are very mild, just well designed where as the aftermarket has each other to compete with and so they push the limits of the ramp rates (how fast the cam opens). By having a high ramp rate you'll fill the cylinder with more air and fuel causing all emissions to increase.
Most of the time it just has to do with them paying $$$ to get the cam through the testing. I've gotten plenty of "hot" aftermarket cams to pass emissions requirements. Make sence? Basically comp cams hasn't seen the demand to require testing of those hotter cams.

ar0ck
02-06-2005, 03:17 PM
So is the "Hot Cam" A good all around cam that I can still use on a daily driven car? Or their any better cams.

I still want to keep daily grandma driving ability and emmisions

NJSPEEDER
02-06-2005, 03:59 PM
hto cam does pretty good on a stock LT1. you may wanna go voer to www.camaroz28.com and try to catch up with projectz28. he got into teh 11's on a full weight cam only LT1. i forget his specs, i think it was only a little bit more aggressive than the hot cam though. definately has a killer idle adn will benefit from a wide open exhaust.

later
tim

Tony Danza
02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
So is the "Hot Cam" A good all around cam that I can still use on a daily driven car? Or their any better cams.

I still want to keep daily grandma driving ability and emmisions
After a PCM tune it will pass emissions; even some LT1 hot cammed cars with the LT4 hotcam "kit" (w/1.6 RR) are able to pass emissions. It is a very good all around cam, with the kit usely netting up to around 30rwhp (w/aftermarket exhaust). Those who have it say its much like the stock LT1 cam, but has a deffinate and noticable midrange and topend power increase. Dont worry a second about daily driving difficulties with the cam, especialy after a dyno tune.

Obviously, it's easy to say there are many "better" cams out there, the LT4 hotcam is concidered mild by many, but all of the ones that have more power will cost you in the departments of emissions and drivability. If you want to know more, be a lil more specific about what ya mean about better cams?

kamikaz
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey Alex maybe you might want to take a look at a CC305 cam.might give you a little more than the LT4 hotcam.stay away from the 306 unless you got the rest of the stuff to back it up and a place that'll get you an inspection sticker :)

Later,

Santos

Squirrel
02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
or a gm846, milder than the cc306 and gm847 :P, and a GM cam

kamikaz
02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
or a gm846, milder than the cc306 and gm847 :P, and a GM cam :werd: :)

ar0ck
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Now that you mentioned other possible cams. Can it be possible to build a complete kit, like what is included in the "hot-cam" kit for the same or less money?

If someone can price and build a good cam "kit" for me it would have to include something that is equal or better then the LT4 HotCam and still emmisions capable with : 16 1.6 roller rocker arms, 16 valve springs, 16 valve caps, 16 valve keys, 16 valve spring shims. For Under $509.88

foff667
02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Now that you mentioned other possible cams. Â*Can it be possible to build a complete kit, like what is included in the "hot-cam" kit for the same or less money?

If someone can price and build a good cam "kit" for me it would have to include something that is equal or better then the LT4 HotCam and still emmisions capable with : 16 1.6 roller rocker arms, 16 valve springs, 16 valve caps, 16 valve keys, 16 valve spring shims. For Under $509.88

:rofl: dude ive seen some high end ls1 "custom" grinds go for more then that with JUST the cam nothing more...get what cam will work best for you and what you want it to do and go from there...dont worry about an extra 100 if its gonna make your smile just that much bigger.

Tru2Chevy
02-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, LS1 cams in general are a lot more expensive then basic small block or LT1 cams. I've seen lots of LS1 cams that cost more than the $300 I spent on the full cam kit for my 400 (cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, and double roller timing chain).

I say to look around and piece together your own cam kit if you don't see anything out there that really fits you.

- Justin

foff667
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, LS1 cams in general are a lot more expensive then basic small block or LT1 cams. I've seen lots of LS1 cams that cost more than the $300 I spent on the full cam kit for my 400 (cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, and double roller timing chain).

I say to look around and piece together your own cam kit if you don't see anything out there that really fits you.

- Justin

Every ls1 cam ive ever seen has been over $360 unless it was used...im just saying for him to not skimp $50 or $100 if hes gonna get more performance with a cam more matched to his combo.

Tony Danza
02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Performence is good, but its not good for him when it will fail emissions.

foff667
02-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Performence is good, but its not good for him when it will fail emissions.

im not even sure if the hotcam would pass emissions without extensive tuning...with a 112lsa theres alot of overlap meaning alot of unburnt fuel.