PDA

View Full Version : tranny help

GrandmasterCow
02-09-2005, 03:41 PM
okay, i lost my first gear, second gear, and reverse. they constantly pop out of gear IF i can even get it into gear, and they grind all the time. took to three shops and they all say the gearbox might be damaged or something. anyone have any ideas? i have no money atm so im trying to get this thing functional.

Batman
02-10-2005, 02:19 PM
You are probably gonna need a rebuild. Sounds like you cracked a synchronizer ring or just ground the synchros to pieces. Could also be a bent shift fork. There is no way around it, you will have to ge *** fixed. Having been there it is cheaper to just buy a rebuilt for about $1500 then deal with buying the few parts you need and the $700 or so for a rebuild. A synchro alone can run you between $180 -$300 depending on the year and which one it is.

GrandmasterCow
02-10-2005, 06:43 PM
great. i cant afford any of those options at the moment and im so pissed. i was told by two shops it has to have a history of being abused from the way it looks like, and i really dont want to be stuck like this. tomorrow im talking to a guy about it hope fully he can help, if not, i wont be making saturday.

GP99GT
02-10-2005, 07:05 PM
well...just use 3rd gear and waste your clutch, and get it all fixed at the same time. :lol:

But really, that sucks...part of the reason i dont want to get a DSM is because they have problems with the synchros in the trans, almost ALWAYS 2nd gear grinds.

89 Trans Am WS6
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Not to mention head gaskets and the fact that its a DSM.

LT!freak94
02-11-2005, 12:18 PM
my friend had that happen check the tranny mounts thats what happened to his car but that was a pulsar good luck

GP99GT
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Not to mention head gaskets and the fact that its a DSM.

head gaskets are fine if you use the mitsubishi one, not aftermarket...another thing is the timing belt, if i get one thatll be the first thing i do.