PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Tim and Justin

Untamed
02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Great site guys. The forums and club members have provided more information than I could have hoped for as I jump back into F-bodies from married-with-family-vehicle land. Thanks for making your vision and passion for these cars drive hundreds of people together to form a great community.

Ok, enough sunshine up your asses.

Is there a better way to keep track of technical information and photographs of projects for easy viewing / uploading / searching? Aside from sifting through all the tech articles in the tech sections of the forums, I can't find a way to easily upload pictures into the forums as a better way to ask / answer a question. Is there anything out on the web we could attach to the website to act as a sort of project log, complete with pictures, that we could easily search using keywords? The problem with forum posts is the number of topics that actually get discussed in one thread, that have nothing to do with the title. Beyond poster discipline, what else can we do?

Hopefully there are other newbies out there besides me that can benefit from lots of pretty pictures as well as the written instructions and suggestions.

Thanks!

Tru2Chevy
02-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the "sunshine"! :)

Tim and I have been talking with a few different members about writing up some articles for a tech/how-to section to be added to the website.

I guess this is a good time to open it up to everyone in the club. So if anyone has any well-written tech articles (pictures are a great addition), please send them to me at tru2chevy@gmail.com.

We will add the "tech database" to the site as soon as we have a few articles to include in it.

- Justin

j0n
02-11-2005, 10:50 AM
u should allow uploading of images directly from your computer as well...btw ill agree with what untamed said...this site is very well run, and much better than the ugly chick's site :P

Tru2Chevy
02-11-2005, 11:04 AM
u should allow uploading of images directly from your computer as well...btw ill agree with what untamed said...this site is very well run, and much better than the ugly chick's site :P

The only problem with uploading images from your computer is storage and bandwidth.

Right now we have plenty of both, but I would hate to add a feature like that and have to take it away after everyone has gotten used to it due to server restrictions. It's something that we will think about for the future.

- Justin

GrandmasterCow
02-12-2005, 09:11 AM
justin, if you want to do this idea go for it, ill supply you plenty of storage from one of my servers.

Untamed
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Excellent! This wouldn't be a discussion board, but a collection of tech articles posted by members, complete with pictures (if they have any) so that the newbies just starting out, can get a better handle on things with step by step instructions and pretty pictures to get frustrated with.

Spread the restification disease! :lol:

NJSPEEDER
02-12-2005, 10:20 PM
perhaps we can carry this along with teh average guys car show concept. both projects would benfit greatly from one another.
for any tech article to be really good and useful there are a few things that it definately needs.
first is an exact list of tools, both required and recomended. jsut saying a socket set doesn't help those of us who use tools enough to regularly crack sockets or have lost tools. knowing the exact sizes of sockets/wrenches needed will make sure you are ready for the build ahead of time.
an exact parts list. if it is a common part like an open element jsut saying the dimensions and style is fine.
pics pics pics. describing the little whodingy in the corner of teh engine bay next to that thing with the pointy thing and the wires is not as good as having a picture with and arrow photochopped into it point at teh whodingy you are trying to describe.

a good starting point for any tech series is a stock, or basically stock vehicle since that is where most people who are new to working on their own car or starting a new project are gonna be.

later
tim

NJSPEEDER
02-12-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks for the compliments. although not all of our ideas have been working out in teh time frames intended lately, we are going to constantly work to improve teh site.
justin and i formed a vision of a complete f-body site when we started all this. eventually we want to include tech articles, event calendar, a personal car page for each member, scans of vintage ads and revue articles of f-bodies, a media gallery from all of teh gatherings, complete research information about teh history of f-bodies, vin decoder, rpo decoder, and a bunch of other stuff i can't think of right now.
hopefully over the coming months/years we will get to see all of these things happen. it will be an amazing site if it all works out. :)

later
tim

Untamed
02-14-2005, 07:55 AM
:whip: Hop to it! Gotta do an engine swap once its gets a little warmer. :)