PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the TBI once and for all

Koll
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I posted this over at TGO once, but all I did was get aholes writing back (what else is new). Anyways. Is there ANYWAY to get rid of TBI, but keep the stock fuel pump? Id rather not drop the tank if needed. Could I just get an inline regulator and put it before the carb? I heard that since the fuel isnt always running through the pump this might make the pump overheat. But since its submerged in fuel, I figured it should be Ok. Has anyone actually done the conversion and mind lending a hand one weekend (when its warmer)

deadtrend1
02-20-2005, 12:41 PM
You would be fine using the stock pump.

Did you read this article on TGO ..... i know its no thte greatest because most of those tech pages suck ass ... but its a start.
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/carbswap.shtml

Koll
02-20-2005, 12:43 PM
You would be fine using the stock pump.

Did you read this article on TGO ..... i know its no thte greatest because most of those tech pages suck ass ... but its a start.
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/carbswap.shtml

Yeah. About 3 times. It seems like he wrote it out a lot more complicated than it is... Take off manifold, TBI. Put on new manifold, carb, and dist. Then just wire up certain wires for the converter lock up to a switch.

deadtrend1
02-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Yea, its not all that complicated as many make it to be.

NJSPEEDER
02-20-2005, 04:16 PM
is there a particular reason you feel you need to ditch the tbi? there is a ton of performance potential in it as well as reliability and mileage to be had.
the easiest answer to the removal is get an intake and carb and a presure regulator. you can go to the junkyard and get an older style weights and vacuum advance HEI distributor and pull the computer all together.
if you are worried about inspection you can switch to an old style controller on your EGR as well.

later
tim

deadtrend1
02-20-2005, 04:43 PM
....and pull the computer all together.

Wont that screw up his VATS?

Koll
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
is there a particular reason you feel you need to ditch the tbi? there is a ton of performance potential in it as well as reliability and mileage to be had.
the easiest answer to the removal is get an intake and carb and a presure regulator. you can go to the junkyard and get an older style weights and vacuum advance HEI distributor and pull the computer all together.
if you are worried about inspection you can switch to an old style controller on your EGR as well.

later
tim

I evuntally want to remove the computer all together. I just dont like TBI. Have grown up on carbs so I am partial to them (and I have a few VA HEIs around)

NJSPEEDER
02-20-2005, 07:18 PM
....and pull the computer all together.

Wont that screw up his VATS?

to beat the vats all you have to do is rewire it skipping the vats controller.

later
tim

maroman88
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
88 camaros dont have VATS, only 89+ firebirds and i think 90+ camaros

Batman
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
88 firebirds have VATS.

EVIL90SS
02-23-2005, 05:20 PM
horray for carburetion !!!

deadtrend1