PDA

View Full Version : EMISSION TESTING

kodaddy
02-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I've contacted NJ MVC/DMV regarding bringing an out of state vehicle(IROC-Z28) into NJ and was told that I could register my vehicle as a "low mileage" vehicle(10.000miles/2years) and only have to pass HC and CO, no NO testing(dyno) would be required. Has anyone been down this road and if so what are the HC(ppm) and CO(%) allowable measurements? Any other suggestions regarding this subject would be appreciated. Thanks

exhaustguys
02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
There are actually 3 different ways to register "special interest" cars in NJ.
Cars over 25 years can get QQ plates do not have to go thru any inspection at all and mileage is limited(I think to 2,500 miles) the second is special interest(corvettes ect)autos. Generally these are cars over 15 years again a mileage limitation is about 2,500. You have to go for VISUAL inspection only, every two years but no other testing is required . I bring these two methods up because I have registered cars this way and both are great. The third method you bring up was passed a couple of years ago when the Dyno emission test was started.. It basically is the old emissions test which some claim is not as sensitive, and was a carrot tossed to the public as a way of apealing to the car hobby. You are correct that you have a 10,000 mile limit per two years. The only difference from the others mentioned above is that the car must also pass all other saftey inspection tests (such as brakes, suspension) ect. So depending on the year and how many miles you plan to drive any of the above will work. One other thing to consider is insurance cost's. While you will not save a much money on the last option. The middle option qualtifies for collectable insurance. Where you can pay as little as say $175 for Full coverage ( appx $10,000) Over 25 years the premiums drops to 1/2 of that. A down right bargin here in NJ.

camaro2you
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
ya im waiten to hit that 25 mark not to many years left ill probalby only need to get one inspection before it hits 25