PDA

View Full Version : Changing Steering Wheels

Untamed
03-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm about 45 minutes away from winning an ebay bid for a steering wheel. Assuming I win, how tough is it to swap out steering wheels? Looks like there are some special tools to make it happen.

Is this something you guys think can be done in an hour or less? It's an early 3rd gen wheel without the airbag (the T bar with the center horn button). Im swapping out the standard 88 TA wheel with the horn buttons on the sides of the wheel, no airbag.

Tough for a newbie or easy?

j0n
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
easy cept u need a steering wheel puller

HardcoreZ28
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
You don't need a steering wheel puller. I did mine with a regular gear puller I believe. It took me about two hours to remove my old one and install my new Grant one, but I have that anti-theft kit that allows the removal of the wheel so that probably added a good half hour to 45 minutes to the process. If you want help let me know and I can always take a ride to your neck of the woods one night.

Untamed
03-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks Paul I think I will. I don't have either a wheel puller or gear puller, and I'd hate to buy one for a one time use. I won the bid, and just waiting for the wheel to arrive. No airbag, no VATS, just a straight wheel swap so -should- be easy. Haynes makes it look easy though they caution everyone to make sure they use the right puller.

HardcoreZ28
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah let me know when you get it. I'll have to take a look at my old IROC wheel to refresh my memory. I think maybe I reversed the jaws on my puller and put it inside the wheel after I removed the horn and used the center nut to center the large bolt onto.

deadtrend1
03-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Dont need a gear puller.

Need either a wheel puller or a hormanic balancer puller (one that looks like a pigeons foot).

ar0ck
03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Most of the big auto part chains are now offering free tool rental. I think its a $75 deposit and 1 weeks use. When you return it, you get your money back. Just look into it some more.

NJSPEEDER
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
you can easily make your own steering wheel puller. takes 3bolts a couple nuts, some washers, a piece of scrap metal and about 5minutes of free time.
i will find mine and get pictures and a how to posted up asap.

later
tim

84HOtransam
03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
rent the harmonic balancer puller from autozone for 20 bucks or so..keep it as long as you want..get the money back when you return it..

HardcoreZ28
03-04-2005, 07:41 AM
That's right.....I used my balancer puller.....I have the tool Dave, just let me know when you want to do it.

Untamed
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Well if the wheel arrives by Tuesday I'll bring it to Fudds. That way I'll at least have part of an f body there. :wink:

Actually I'm having it shipped to my work address since I can drive straight to the storage place and drop off the wheel. Looks like I'll have time towards the end of March to get some stuff done on the car. Wife and kids and headed out to grandma's out of state for a week or two.

Injuneer
03-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Grant sells a steering wheel puller for $6. Worked on my 94.

Ian
03-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Taking steering wheels off is easy. I take steering wheels off all the time at work to replace clocksprings. I get a little scared while removing the airbag part though :lol: . Ones without airbags are much easier and safer to work on/replace.

89 Trans Am WS6
03-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Dont cut the yellow wire. :lol:

Untamed
03-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Steering wheel came in. Looks good just a little dirty from sitting in a yard somewhere probably. The leather is actually in great shape.

Problem is, the horn button is there but the wiring is missing. It shouldn't matter what wheel is on there right? Pull the old one off and just use the existing wiring?

Untamed
03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Well I managed to crack the plastic housing over the steering wheel coupler, just behind the wheel itself. Is this replaceable? Anyone know if this is a separate part that can be bought and replaced?

This is for an 82-85 T-bar wheel with center horn button.

HardcoreZ28
03-24-2005, 12:22 PM
How the hell did you break that?? Check the local junkyards.

Untamed
03-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I tossed it into the back seat without looking - and ended up dropping it on the car battery. The edge of the plastic must have caught on the edge of the battery, cracking it on the way down. I'm such an idiot. After looking it over, the plastic seemed kind of weak anyway, maybe from years in the sun?

I'm hoping to replace that one piece instead of buying a new wheel. If AutoZone doesnt have anything, and I cant get to the junkyard, maybe Lowes has some thin plastic piping I can spray black and glue onto the back side of the wheel.