PDA

View Full Version : Free mods

maroman88
03-05-2005, 08:52 PM
i was wondering about the throttle body bypass mod. im not gunna buy a kit and i have just connected the out line from the intake to the heater valve, do i need to cap off the spouts on the throttle body or can i just leave them?

also looking to gut the TPI air box, how can i go about doing this, i cant belive how restrictive it looks

any other free mods you guys know of?

maroman88
03-05-2005, 09:09 PM
also is a TPI throttle body interchangeable with an LT! TB?

deadtrend1
03-06-2005, 07:35 AM
You can just leave the TB plumbing tubes open, it wont matter.

To gut the air box...i dunno cause I never did that. Are they the two Mini-rams with the scoop behind the foglight area?

A TPI throttle body wont swap with a LT!. The IAC or whateer is different.

maroman88
03-06-2005, 09:27 AM
yea its the TPI ram air lookin setup, right now the car is set up for the TBI infront of the radiator, all the air is directed to the radiator, so i have to remove all that plastic so air can get up to the TPI box. the bottom of the TPI box sucks its got like 6 tiny holes on each side. i was thinkin of takin a saws all and just takin it all off and making 2 giant holes the size of the air filters:)

bokey
03-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Another free mod is to advance the timing ... this helps compensate for "mistakes" the factory made.

PDubs87Z28
04-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Take the bottom of the TPI air box where the two filters sit and drill big holes through them or even cut the whole bottom off, Whatever suits you. Take the air deflector that runs into the rad. and cut large squares out of them. The car won't lose air going into the rad. as long as you have the air deflector on the bottom of the radiatior support on you won't lose air to the rad and over heat. That Air deflector on the bottom is much more important, the way the camaro is designed, the nose splits the air(going up, over the car making down force on the back end and air going under the body,) That air that goes under is caught by the delflector and sucked into the radiatior keeping it cool. IF you're going with a TPI set up for your car i would recommend you buy a ram air hood with the air box. the air box is in the same location but the filters of turned the other way. thats the best way air won't get robbed air to your TPI. My buddy has an 88 IROC with that ram air set up and he loves it. I know about the other tip because i butchered my other friends 87 IROC TPI Air box/air delflector and you could hear the air getting sucked in when you were driving....those are the two tips i think would work well for a TPI.