PDA

View Full Version : Turbo help

ar0ck
03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
If you guys can help me out here. Im looking for information on how to set up a bare basic turbo system for a 350. Doesnt have to be anything wild or exotic, just home built, fairly power-full, and reasonably priced. I could also use some pictures as well as home-made systems.

Just some basic goals Im looking towards :
- Single Turbo Set-Up
- Carborated
- CONSISTANT Sub 13' - 12 second car
- Fully Gutted
- No power accessories
- Manual Steering
- Posi Rear with 4.10's
- Drag Radials & Skinnies
- 350ci 4-bolt Main
- TH350 Transmission Shift Kitted
- Home made Suspension parts
(Boxed LCA's, Subframes, tourqe arm)
And It does not have to meet emmisions or street driveability.

My Idea was to take 2 passenger side SBC manifolds, and mount the drivers side up-side down. Custom drill a mount for a medium sized turbo. The rest I really dont know what to do. I could easily get a turbo and intercooler. But I draw a blank on how a turbo system actually works.

foff667
03-06-2005, 02:19 PM
check out the sts stuff...fairly cheap...easy install...power has been so so because its rear mounted. But there is a gto in the low 11's with one and people making over 500hp with them so eh.

GP99GT
03-06-2005, 02:19 PM
its not too complicated, just need to upgrade the fuel system and stuff too...for a carbed motor you'd need a blow-thru box for the carb (something to seal around it so boost wont leak). Having one turbo run off 4 cylinders and the other side of the engine just going out through regular exhaust might make it run a little weird...not sure. Basically you just need to find a place for it to fit, fab up some custom intake piping/blow thru box, some custom exhaust piping out of the turbo, oil lines, and a sufficient fuel system to accomodate the extra air. Couldnt tell ya what size turbo to use, you should ask Jim from A-R about that.

NJSPEEDER
03-06-2005, 03:56 PM
i would look for a set of truck manifolds and mount them facing the front. then you can jsut run them into a single y and directly into teh bottom of the turbo.
you can prep a carb for boost, easiest thing to do would be to get or fabricate somehting like vortech has for their carb box.
you will also need to raise your fuel pressure to offset the boost, an electric pump and adjustable regulator will take care of this the easiest.
old small blocks have spare oil passages front and rear, so you will just need to drill a return into the oil pan, no big deal.
if you are only going for 12's you can grab a cheap blow off valve and use a turbo with an internal waste gate to make installatrion teh most stright forward.
i wouldn't bother with an intercooler or anything, 8psi or so of warm air will be more than enough to achieve your goals.
if you wanted to go all junkyard you could do a basic twin set up too, that woudl involve a little more plumbing work, but it would look cool as hell when you popped the hood :)

later
tim

Tony Danza
03-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Is this for your Z28? If so, the company foff667 suggested is the best choice for you if you want a simple and pretty damn cheap turbo setup. But that may not be right though cuz you may want to make this whole set up yourself.

foff667
03-06-2005, 08:07 PM
dont even bother wht i said...i wrote before i read...i just assumed he was taking tims advice heh gave in the other thread about doing a turbo on his lt1 instead of a blower, sorry, dont mind me.

Ian
03-06-2005, 10:52 PM
V-8 S-10 shortie headers both mounted upside down and facing forward. People actually do that and it seems to work. I dont know about hood clearance though.

ar0ck
03-07-2005, 02:46 PM
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/3576/test4lu.jpg

JerzLT1
03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
i dunno if it would give you enough clearance but you could look at block hugger headers

j0n
03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
i have a "bonus issue" of like "engine" magazine or some **** like that lying around...it came with a PHR one time and has EVERYTHING u need 2 know about turbos in it...ill go find it and post it up

Mike
03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
the new grassroots motorsports has a huge article about diy turbo setups, includine a 2 page list of good donor cars to look for

89 Trans Am WS6
03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Whos car is this for?

Carb'd?