PDA

View Full Version : Maro/TA Conversion Project

enRo
03-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't ask what encouraged me, I just thought it'll be hella nice to throw a camaro front end on a TA. Heres the situation though. First thing tomorrow im going to take a picture of this, but the passenger side front frame corner is all bondo. This wasnt from my accident, but the previous owner's. It goes about 8-10 inches from the corner towards the passenger door. With this, my front end allignment is shimmy'ed way too much, to the point where alligning it correctly is 99% impossible. One fender sticks out too much while the other sticks out even further, the hood doesnt allign correctly, front bumper is a little tilted, and where the hood/turn-signals latch onto is slanted downward. Question: Im not an expert at framework, but would it be possible/easy/hard to replace the entire front frame itself? Couldnt the front frame be cut by the windshield and swapped? Iono, putting in my 2 cents. Next, I plan on replacing the doors and the sideskirts, both of which are shot. Plus I think it will look better with 'maro skirts to match the front end nicely. Next, I'll have to plug in the wiring harness for headlights/sidemarkers/fogs/horn from a camaro to match up with the new light assembly. Then comes the front bumper/hood and other body parts to place on, which should be pretty simple because I've done it on my TA twice.

This picture, if you notice the entire radiator support (its blue rather than black) and how its installed, its connected by bolts and not spotwelds. Its the best pic i can find (doesnt include the crap bondo job though)
http://www.geocities.com/njknightrider/Fall2004TA16.JPG

So what Im getting at is if the front frame could be replaced, and if so, how or where I can get it done. I dont have access to welding ***** or any of those kind of tools... all I got is an engine hoist and a compressor ahaha. Since Im still looking for the perfect camaro with the perfect parts for the job, maybe a cpl guys can come on over sometime during nice weather in the springtime to give me a hand with framework. Iono, im a complete tool when it comes to this ahah. Thanks for the 2 cents put into reading

-Noah

V
03-17-2005, 08:54 PM
ok right off the bat, replacing the front frame section entirely is out of the question, the car would be a death trap, BUT you can safely replace the rad support section and upper fender rails back to the strut tower, I would not go any further than that. First thing you need the check is if the frotn frame rails themselves are out of alignment, if so, its either a frame shop or junkyard in the near future, but most liekly they are OK, and just the upper fender rails and front rad support got tweaked. its pretty involved but with correct measurements, time and the right tools, welding equipment needed, it can be done. I could go on for quite a while explainign everything needed or problems you can encouter but i hope this gives you a quick idea of the thinsg you need to look into.

enRo
03-18-2005, 04:03 AM

nj85z28
03-20-2005, 09:23 AM
i actually have seen this swap in action before, and i thought the results were alright....nothing spectacular but it is cool if you do it right, so good luck! btw i got a z28 front nose and a hood if your interested. ive been trying to get you on aim with no luck

enRo
03-20-2005, 10:08 AM
i actually have seen this swap in action before, and i thought the results were alright....nothing spectacular but it is cool if you do it right, so good luck! btw i got a z28 front nose and a hood if your interested. ive been trying to get you on aim with no luck

K AIM Name is BigDaddyKanesV8

Fozzi58
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Once you get everything bolted up you'll notice that the fender creases don't match the doors. if you change to doors to a Maro, then the don't match with the rear quarters. Its not a difficult swap givin your frame isnt FUBAR. There was a guy I used to hang out in Garfield who used to have a '79 CamaroBird. Rear was a Z28 & the front was 77-78 T/A. It was pretty kewl lookin but he had the same issue with fender/door/quarter crease alignment

V
03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
im pretty sure 3rd gen bird and camaro doors are the same in regards to body lines. I've sold and installed a few and never noticed any problems. There used to be a red firebird with a black iroc drivers door in midland park for a while.