PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hatch Struts

Untamed
03-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Picked up two new rear hatch struts for the TA at AutoZone in Hillsborough last night. They're $21 each, and almost identical to the OEM ones. Apparently there is a different model but would work just as well, but has to be ordered. They're $40 each! :shock: I took the cheaper ones.

Two differences between the OEM and replacements though: the contact point for the window defroster nearest the back seat is rotated slightly inwards, making it more difficult to hook up the contacts, and the rubber lip on the inside ring of the connecting piece is slightly taller than the original. That might require the use of a dremel to grind it down a tad.

I'm going to install them tonight after work. No more trying to hold that heavy f***** up with my head or shoulders!

HardcoreZ28
03-18-2005, 08:39 AM
I have to replace mine soon.....I've been hurting my head the last two summers putting the tops back there....it's about time I fix it.

foff667
03-18-2005, 08:58 AM
lol...most of those aftermarket ones have a lifetime warranty...and boy do they need it cuz they fail like once a year hehe.

HardcoreZ28
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Holy hell are you serious?? Lifetime warranty? The longevity of them was the only reason I was thinking of getting GM, but if they have a lifetime warranty I'm all over that!

My whole interior is getting overhauled as soon as I'm done with my C5 brakes.

foff667
03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Holy hell are you serious?? Â*Lifetime warranty? Â*The longevity of them was the only reason I was thinking of getting GM, but if they have a lifetime warranty I'm all over that!

My whole interior is getting overhauled as soon as I'm done with Â*my C5 brakes.

yah most of the ones ive bought aftermarket were lifetime.

HardcoreZ28
03-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Sweet....gonna need them soon cause it's almost t-top season.

Dave do you have the part numbers still from the ones you bought?

Untamed
03-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok here is what I got from the plastic sleeve that the struts come in.

Name of Company: Arvin Meritor (www.arvinmeritor.com)
Purchased: AutoZone
Model Name: Mighty Lift
Part # (AutoZone maybe): 95023
Part # (Arvin Meritor maybe): 99910144

Just tell the folks at AutoZone your make, model, year and maybe bring one of the old struts in (thats what I did) and they'll probably give you the same thing.

Now I can't vouch for this product since I haven't even installed them yet. I'm going to do that tonight so I'll post my experience late tonight or tomorrow.

Savage_Messiah
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
don't mean to hijack but I think that one or both of mine are squeaking (I hope it's them and not my shocks cuz I replaced the shocks last spring or so). Can I grease them or so I have to replace them?

Tru2Chevy
03-18-2005, 10:05 PM
don't mean to hijack but I think that one or both of mine are squeaking (I hope it's them and not my shocks cuz I replaced the shocks last spring or so). Can I grease them or so I have to replace them?

Well, does it squeek when you are driving, or when you open and close the hatch? That should give you a pretty good idea of which it is...

- Justin

Untamed
03-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Replaced the struts. Pretty easy as long as you have something propping the hatch up. Easy installation and they appear to work. Just be prepared to rotate the upper part of the strut to line up with the lower since they were probably assembled without thought to lining them up.

Fasterthanyou
03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
lol...most of those aftermarket ones have a lifetime warranty...and boy do they need it cuz they fail like once a year hehe.
My aftermarket JCWhitless hatch supports are over 5 years old. They've worn out a TAD but they hold up the hatch no problem. What did it in was the heavier z28 spoiler. It used to pop right up but now it needs a little nudge and it'll open. For $45 I might just pick up a pair...