PDA

View Full Version : Painting a car..

V
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
ok, i know this topic has been done before but oh well.

I am almost ready to paint my monte, (within the next month) and i havent decided how i will be doing it. I have 4 options...
I can do it myself in a spraybooth i have access to.(cost of paint and spray gun)
I can have a friend who has painted before do it in the spraybooth, (just cost of paint)
I can send it to Maaco (like $300)
or I can have a body shop guy i know do it at work on the side(like $400)

I think im leaning twards the $400 option, Ive seen his work and its good. The car would be going in with most exterior trim off or already taped off and the car is already all in primer and will be prepped, so it would only involve the color and clear.(jambs will all already be done)

Koll
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Do not take it to Maaco. Please. Id go with option 400.

enRo
03-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I'd say, if you have the experience with painting, and the cost of the spray gun and paint isnt as overwhelming as the Maaco and $400 job, you should do it yourself. Unless you want the car to look at its best, then trust your instincts with the $400 job. The more cars you paint, the more experience you get, which means you can paint plenty more cars yourself in the future.

I have a compressor and plan on painting my car sometime towards May. I went to Maaco in Rockaway last summer and they wanted $700 for a paint/prep job.

V
03-20-2005, 10:59 AM
I have never painted a car myself before, thats why im a little unsure of doing it myself. I had my 88 GTA painted by maaco for 299 and it came out decent(would have been better if i took more time to prep it), But my friend, actually my old boss, has painted several cars before(just did his 69 camaro) and he offered to paint anythign for me for just the cost of paint, when he heard that i have use of a spraybooth now he was even more willing, lol. So ill see. the money isnt a concern really i just dont want to get carried away with a show qaulity finish since this car is going to my G/F and it just needs to look nice

bad64chevelle
03-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Going to your GF eh? Hmm...Id say do it yourself, it will mean more to both of you. Ive painted things in my garage, and as long as you have good ventilation and what not it comes out fine. I Painted my helmet to match the Chevelle, I will post some pics of how it turned out, and what I did to prepare the garage if you want. If you have access to a spray booth, take advantage and practice on some things (old fenders, etc.) then do the car on your own. Only one way to learn!