PDA

View Full Version : Gutting the cat

JPiZZiJP
03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Anyone wanna gut my cat for me? I'm now accepting bids :)

~Joe

Koll
03-29-2005, 10:51 AM
1) Take off cat.
2) Take metal bar
3) Beat out the inside
4) .....
5) Profit!

bad64chevelle
03-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Koll is almosty correct, however if your cat is like mine it will be a little different, especially if you want to fool local roadside inspecions
Follow these steps.
1) Remove Y pipe from under the car
2)Scribe a line in the middle of the pipe from the cat to the ypipe (this will help you later) take a good saw and cut the cat off as straight as possible.
3)With a metal striking device in one hand (I used a piece of solid tubing) and a hammer in the other go around the outside of the honeycomb from both sides of the cat. Once loose work your way from the middle out and it will come out in chunks.
4)once all the honeycomb is out take a piece of tubing the size of your y pipe and place it inside the cat (this will prevent turbulance in the cat and will no longer sound like crap inside your car)
5)if you are a good welder simply realign the scribe marks on the ypipe and cat, and begin to weld everything back together. If not take it to the local welder and they will do it (as long as they are cool about doing it, and you promise to not tell anyone that they did the work)
6)Bolt the y pipe back onto the car and enjoy the louder exhaust and the failure of emissions!

If all is done correctly you will not even notice the cat was off the ypipe. I have gone through many local roadside inspections in my town, and had the mirror under my car. They see that its there and they allow you to move on. If you need more help let me know.

JPiZZiJP
03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Note that inspection isn't an issue... I am not titled/registered in NJ so I don't have to go through inspection at all ever again. The next time the car will go through inspection is if I sell the car (and then the buyer will have to deal with it).

~Joe

Savage_Messiah
03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Well thinkign logically the striaght pipe thru is better than simply gutting it... gutting it creates a large cahmber for exhaust gasses to expand, then turbelance and restriction and backpressure cramming back thru the exit.

Tru2Chevy
03-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Rather then gutting the cat, why don't you weld a straight pipe in place of it, and just spot weld teh cat sheilds onto the pipe? No turbulence, and it will still pass the mirror test.

- Justin