PDA

View Full Version : Help Bluebird94 please

bad64chevelle
03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
In the other post I had scanned the computer found codes for 02's and coolant temp sensors. He replaced them thinking this would solve his problem of the engine running at arouns 255* well he replaced them and came back. Now the fan turns on, but still running extremely hot. I noticed the cam sensor reading went from "Detected" to "Not Detected" the whole time i was scanning. I dont know if this is normal. Also I am unable to clear the codes, the PCM is telling me "Vehicle Not Detected" however two seconds earlier i JUST read the codes. From what he tells me the temp will peg out to 260* on the gauge (which is about 245 on the scanner) in about 4 minutes of driving from a Dead cold start. It sat for two days! Please help us. Thanks

Jon

BTW its a 94 Firebird 3.4L

Tru2Chevy
03-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Are you sure the motor is actually running that hot? Or is it just the guage/sensor? For the coolant to go from 50ish degrees to 260 degrees in 4 minutes of actual driving time (with airflow over the radiator) means there is an issue with the cooling system. Is the thermostat working properly?

- Justin

Koll
03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
First thing I would do is try a mechanical gauge. After that check the thermostat

bad64chevelle
03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah that was my thought that it was reading incorrectly, however he is bringing this to me up at school so I have no other means of checking this thing out. I personally have told him i dont think its actually running that hot, but am not able to be sure since i dont have tools at my disposal. the sensor was just replaced yesterday, and we solved the no fan problem. My money right now is on his thermostat not working i told him that today. But other than that any ideas on the cam sensor acting up?
Jon

bluebird94
03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
ill call my mechanic later and see what he thinks and im waiting for my stepdad to call me back..he used to be a mechanic too, and former fbody owner, so maybe he'll have some ideas

bluebird94
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
nevermind on the mechanic thing, the guy was an ******* over the phone, saying id have to bring it in so he could have a look at it and **** and then charge me 80+$...

Tru2Chevy
03-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Just go buy a reg. sbc thermostat - they are $3.95......pull the little o-ring off of your old one, pop it on the new one, and reinstall. (O-ring trick saves you the extra money of buying an LT1 thermostat)

- Justin

bluebird94
03-31-2005, 07:12 PM
no need for that, it was a leak in the water pump..the reason it was over heating was because there was no coolant in the radiator and water was leaking out through the pump or something...but its find for now, i might have to replace the water pump soon though

thanks for everyones help

JerzLT1
03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
when all else fails check your coolant level.... wait shouldnt you have done that first? lol

bluebird94
03-31-2005, 07:43 PM
yeah and it was practically empty so i filled it up, but for some reason i guess it didnt go into the radiator, so my stepdad opened the radiator cap and filled it through there...im not an idiot lol