PDA

View Full Version : 383ci LS6

skorpion317
04-04-2005, 10:18 PM
i'm still in the planning stages of my camaro project (won't even start until i'm out of school).

My original plan was to have a 6.0L LQ9 swapped into the car. when all was said and done, it'd be pushing over 500 HP to the wheels on the motor alone.

Problem is, stuff like that gets real expensive. I'd love to have the motor in the car, but it may end up being too pricey. so i'm looking at other options as well. My current alternative is a 383ci LS6. Achieving this would be rather simple. I'd be using the stock LS1 as a base. The GMPP LS6 conversion would be round #1. Then, a 383 stroker kit would be added into the mix. Wrap it up with a FAST LSX intake manifold, long-tube headers, and maybe a different set of heads (the AFR 225cc heads are looking REAL good) and this thing would haul ass. the question is, how much ass would it haul? is 500+ horsepower still a reasonable expectation? if it is, i may ditch the 402 idea completely, seeing as the LS6 will be much cheaper.

j0n
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
screw ls6...go w/ patriot heads

skorpion317
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
screw ls6...go w/ patriot heads

i didn't say i was keeping the LS6 heads. i was leaning towards the AFR 225cc heads.

78camaro
04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
i hear big blocks are fun motors...502 anyone,pshh and they come fuel injected now adays too :D

skorpion317
04-04-2005, 11:59 PM
i hear big blocks are fun motors...502 anyone,pshh and they come fuel injected now adays too :D

$$$ is the big factor here. the 383 LS6 would be cheap.

Mike
04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
if your gonna change the intake and heads, you would probably do a bigger cam than the ls6........

so why buy the ls6 kit at all?

foff667
04-05-2005, 07:43 AM
if your gonna change the intake and heads, you would probably do a bigger cam than the ls6........

so why buy the ls6 kit at all?

:stupid: the ls6 kit comes with
heads
intake
cam

you say your going to afr225's
you say your going to fast intake
and the cam is only slightly larger then the stock ls1 cam

I would look into possibly buying an ls2 shortblock and going that route.

HardcoreZ28
04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
AFR heads, stroker kits, FAST intakes.....none of these sound cheap to me. It's a harsh reality, but you can't make reliable power on the cheap. Save the money, come up with a definite plan, and do it right. Just my opinion.

foff667
04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
AFR heads, stroker kits, FAST intakes.....none of these sound cheap to me. Â*It's a harsh reality, but you can't make reliable power on the cheap. Â*Save the money, come up with a definite plan, and do it right. Â*Just my opinion.

very true
Fast intake for stock ls1 TB ~$800
AFR 225 heads ~$2200
Stroker crank, rods ???

I'd say easily $5000 total between those things alone, then your talking about at least buying a used ls1 block, tranny, larger then stock cam...not to mention the tuning needed to get it to run right, larger injectors, the exhaust to let it breathe right would start at around $1000. Not to burst your bubble but there is no cheap way of doing it.

j0n
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
wait till you're well situated to dump lots of money into a hobby...living at home(guessing) and going to school(another guess) is not the time to do this

skorpion317
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
wait till you're well situated to dump lots of money into a hobby...living at home(guessing) and going to school(another guess) is not the time to do this

this project won't be starting until after i'm out of school.

Fasterthanyou
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Leave the cubes for the guys that have heavy vehicles. Stick with normal cubes and let the heads and cam make you your horsepower! A larger motor displacement will ONLY move your horsepower peak to a lower RPM with all things equal. So my vote is an LS6 block (the windage holes are excellent), some large heads, the FAST intake or LS6 and a cam with a single pattern grind. With that and tuning, and a 6 speed trans you'd have a perfect 3000-3500lb vehicle power plant. Or you could just go RMT and call it a day :) but I like beating up on people on all motor... it's like pooring salt into the wound. Oh, and then I tell em it's still 2 barrel TBI but that's beside the point. Don't do the displacement upgrade just for horsepower because that's now how it works.

Batman
04-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Contact Mikey at Rapid motorsports, he just put out some NASTY LS2 402 strokers. They are around $6000 but put down over 550 WHEEL horsepower and another that makes over 500 and idles at 900 RPM. I don't see any of your options running much less then $5000 anyway if you use good parts so decide what you want to do and what purpose the car is going to be for. If it is a street driver you are better off with displacement because you won't need as radical of a cam to make the same power as a high strung small bore. The LS2 is a very nice piece and costs less then a stroked LS1. Another thing to remember is if you aren't starting with a brand new block the LS1 can only be bored .010 over and then it needs a re-sleeve which costs big dollars. LS2 you are in the same boat but already have a 4.00" bore. For long term the LQ4/LQ9 block can be rebuilt more times then it's aluminum brother and costs 1/3 the price. There are alot of options and alot of things to consider but overall I'd say the LS2 is your best bet.

badzracing
04-24-2005, 04:12 PM

$$$ is the big factor here. the 383 LS6 would be cheap. HA! It would be cheaper to build the iron block 6.0. The afr's and stroker kit will cost about $4000-$5000 for the two. The lsx intake and throttle body will be another $1200. Then you add in all the other "little" stuff and voila you're broke...lol I'm about $5000 in on building my 6.0. Purpose built to handle 20lbs of boost. NOTHING is cheap when it come's to the (gen 3) engines.

NJSPEEDER
04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
at this poitn it is really looking somewhat wasteful to do your own build up. if you look at companies like agostino racing engines, AP engineering, and countless other companies you will see that buying a short block is only a few bucks more than collecting all teh buiuld up parts and it avoids the hassle of putting it all together.
i think ttp in saddle brook does engine packages too if you want to stay local.

http://www.agostino-racing.com/ = cool toys 8)

later
tim

Batman
04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
at this poitn it is really looking somewhat wasteful to do your own build up. if you look at companies like agostino racing engines, AP engineering, and countless other companies you will see that buying a short block is only a few bucks more than collecting all teh buiuld up parts and it avoids the hassle of putting it all together.
i think ttp in saddle brook does engine packages too if you want to stay local.

http://www.agostino-racing.com/ = cool toys 8)

later
tim

I would stay away from Agostino if you want the engine anytime soon, I know 2 shops that have dropped them because they can't make deadlines with their motors. Average time I've seen is 3-6 MONTHS late with people I know who have bought from them. However they do make a nice product.

NLinnear
05-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Big cubes=bigger budget. Trust me :lol: