NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Phillies looking to enter in the Cliff Lee bids (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54267)

Slow-V6 12-13-2010 09:11 PM

Phillies looking to enter in the Cliff Lee bids

Just saw this story.. That would be sweet if they could get rid of blanton and get Lee in here again.. Halladay, Lee , Oswalt, Hamels... Probably the greatest rotation of all time..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5917145

JL8Jeff 12-13-2010 11:55 PM

Looks like it could happen. I would love to start seeing some of these top notch players going to teams they want to play for at a decent salary and not crazy numbers. Obviously I would be thrilled to see Lee end up back up in Philly since he fit in so well. But I'd also like to see players pick a team they fit in with and can gel with to make a winning team no matter what sport or what town. Werth was a great fit in Philly so I'm surprised he went somewhere else but the money was ridiculous. It sounds like Lee might end up in Philly so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :nod:

BigAls87Z28 12-13-2010 11:59 PM

Still wont be able to beat San Fran....

coolmanvette75 12-14-2010 05:42 AM

Well, it happened...

Frosty 12-14-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 742530)
Still wont be able to beat San Fran....

:rolleyes: The Giants got hot at the right time, they're not that great of a team.

I think the Yankees need to worry about Boston.

So suck on it Yankees fans, proof that $$$ isn't everything.

BonzoHansen 12-14-2010 07:41 AM

philly radio was comparing this rotation to the braves big rotation of the 90s. which the yanks beat twice. Just saying.

IMO the offer the yanks made was too long. Just like arod's and crawford's deal, and werth too. this will force the yanks to come up with a real plan, not overpay to sign a 33 year old guy who went 3-2 in the playoffs last year.

Frosty 12-14-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 742548)
philly radio was comparing this rotation to the braves big rotation of the 90s. which the yanks beat twice. Just saying.

Yeah because the 90's and today have so much in common...but hey if that helps you sleep at night keep thinking what the Braves had as a rotation in 90's has any bearing on today :rofl::rofl::rofl::moon::moon::moon:

Baseball is still out of control with these salaries....the $$$ being thrown around is just insane. Out of them all you could make the argument that Lee deserved it(generally speaking), but the deals Werth and Crawford got are just ridiculous.

Slow-V6 12-14-2010 07:51 AM

Compare it to whatever you want to.. We all know how Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, and Lee pitch, and They all have World Series exsperience. Doesnt Lee Dominate the Yanks? Its a very good day in Philly..

Frosty 12-14-2010 07:56 AM

They still need bullpen help IMO....

But with R2C2 as the starting 4.....it's a beautiful thing.

Slow-V6 12-14-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 742553)
They still need bullpen help IMO....

But with R2C2 as the starting 4.....it's a beautiful thing.

Trade Blanton to a team that needs starting pitching for some bullpen help.. Blanton is a good 4-5 starter and could be somebodies 3rd starter. He has Playoff and World series exsperience and could help out a team.

Frosty 12-14-2010 08:03 AM

That would free up some cash too, I think he makes 7 mil this year...or 7.8...something ridiculous.

BonzoHansen 12-14-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 742549)
Yeah because the 90's and today have so much in common...but hey if that helps you sleep at night keep thinking what the Braves had as a rotation in 90's has any bearing on today :rofl::rofl::rofl::moon::moon::moon:.

Sure it does, did the rules suddenly change? It just proves it is no guarantee. The braves had how many cy youngs between them, 6 or 7? they were pretty good. Then again pitching in the NL is easier.

Oh, and I sleep fine, my 10 year old has seen more Yankee championships than the phils have ever had,. But thanks for worrying. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow-V6 (Post 742551)
Compare it to whatever you want to.. We all know how Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, and Lee pitch, and They all have World Series exsperience. Doesnt Lee Dominate the Yanks? Its a very good day in Philly..

See, even better news for the yanks, now we don’t have to face him unless we make the series. Too bad Lee couldn’t dominate the Giants. Whoops.

Enjoy your new staff, it is very awesome. Don’t worry so much about the yanks, they will be fine. The phils got him for a the ‘right’ price, what the yanks offered was bad and I’m glad they didn’t get held up with another bad contract.
From where I sit the rays got worse, the angel did not get better, the twins did not get better and might still lose pavano and the rangers got worse. Only the red sox got better, and maybe the white sox. The bosox got better more because of the new 1b than Crawford, which they need because their staff is probably still not as good and the yanks’ current staff. So it’s not at all doom & gloom in the Bronx. Flushing ny, well, they still suck. I think we can all agree on that.

BonzoHansen 12-14-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow-V6 (Post 742554)
Trade Blanton to a team that needs starting pitching for some bullpen help.. Blanton is a good 4-5 starter and could be somebodies 3rd starter. He has Playoff and World series exsperience and could help out a team.

I would do that and bring back moyer (really).

Frosty 12-14-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 742556)
Sure it does, did the rules suddenly change? It just proves it is no guarantee. The braves had how many cy youngs between them, 6 or 7? they were pretty good. Then again pitching in the NL is easier.

Oh, and I sleep fine, my 10 year old has seen more Yankee championships than the phils have ever had,. But thanks for worrying. lol

Nothing is a guarantee, you're absolutely right. However this makes them, again, the favorite to win the NL regardless of what happened last year. They still need bullpen help and still need to figure out what to do with replacing Werth, I think Franscisco will start but we'll see.

Then again it doesn't matter if Howard and Utley play like ass like they did this past post season.

Slow-V6 12-14-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 742556)

Oh, and I sleep fine, my 10 year old has seen more Yankee championships than the phils have ever had,. But thanks for worrying. lol.

Your 10 yr old has seen 1 championship from the Yanks.. Correct me if I am wrong but from 2000-2010 they only won in 2009.. So How can that be true if the Yanks and the Phills both have only won 1 in the last decade?

You also sound a little dissapointed that Lee did not sign with NY. Just shows you that even some of the best Players in the game who are offered the biggest contracts will play elsewere just because they do not want to play for that team in NY. How many big name free agents signed with the Yanks so far? Jeter? How about Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 742557)
I would do that and bring back moyer (really).

If he is ready to play then for sure. I love having Moyer on my team. He led the team in wins last year before the all star break then got hurt. He is a great person to learn from and if I wanted to have a long carreer he is the one that I would be hanging out with to find out how..

JL8Jeff 12-14-2010 08:25 AM

Phils pitching rotation looks great now. Hopefully they don't turn out to be the Dallas Cowboys this year. :lol: And I don't think I would want to compare any pitching in today's hitters stadiums to any past era's.

greenformula92 12-14-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 742548)
IMO the offer the yanks made was too long.

the offer had to be that long because of crawford primarily. because lee and crawford are considered to the of the same caiber the offer had to be comparible, lee went to philly cause he enjoyed his time there and he wanted to stay to begin with

BigAls87Z28 12-14-2010 09:07 AM

SF is the one team that always seem to give Philly a challenge.
Boston is a tough team every year. Not worried.

Frosty 12-14-2010 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
EPIC!

LS1Hawk 12-14-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow-V6 (Post 742559)
Your 10 yr old has seen 1 championship from the Yanks.. Correct me if I am wrong but from 2000-2010 they only won in 2009.

They won in 2000.

The Phils now have 3 starting pitchers nearing their mid-30s. In 2-3 years how's that rotation going to be? Philly isn't doing anything different that the Yankees did in the '08 offseason. They are bringing in talent to try and win now.

BonzoHansen 12-14-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 742558)
Then again it doesn't matter if Howard and Utley play like ass like they did this past post season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff (Post 742561)
Phils pitching rotation looks great now. Hopefully they don't turn out to be the Dallas Cowboys this year.

That was kind of my point. Hey, the phils are the class of the NL, even before this. Go back and read my posts at playoff time, I said that and I said the Phils were the team I feared the most if the Yanks got to the WS.

Quote:

Your 10 yr old has seen 1 championship from the Yanks.. Correct me if I am wrong but from 2000-2010 they only won in 2009.. So How can that be true if the Yanks and the Phills both have only won 1 in the last decade?

2-2 in his lifetime.

2000 Beat the Mets
2001 lost to AZ
2003 lost to FL
2009 Beat Philadelphia

Quote:

You also sound a little dissapointed that Lee did not sign with NY. Just shows you that even some of the best Players in the game who are offered the biggest contracts will play elsewere just because they do not want to play for that team in NY. How many big name free agents signed with the Yanks so far? Jeter? How about Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth?

Nope, go read I even said that contract was too long and why IMO it is not that big a deal in the bigger picture – the fact he is out of the AL makes this very palatable to me. I watched the yanks build for the long term in the 90s and I like it that way. I hate straddling the team with a giambi/arod like stupid contract.

Nice stretch to bring up Crawford & Werth. The yanks made no effort at all to sign not-werth-it so who cares there, he’s just decent mid-level player at best (.296/27/85) and the Yanks already have nick swisher (.288/29/89) in that role. And they said they had no real interest in Carl Crawford either, that was just gamesmanship, just like the red sox talking to lee. The sox also gave too much $$ and more importantly too much time to Crawford. His whole game is speed and speed dwindles after 32 or so. Making a guy the highest paid OF in baseball whose HR high is 19 is dumb where I stand. I never lose sleep about hitters, there is always one available somewhere, and the Yanks led baseball in offense last year so it’s not like they needed a big bat. I predect Crawford will be the Carlos Beltran of Boston.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1Hawk (Post 742574)
The Phils now have 3 starting pitchers nearing their mid-30s. In 2-3 years how's that rotation going to be? Philly isn't doing anything different that the Yankees did in the '08 offseason. They are bringing in talent to try and win now.

I agree.

And Jeter was, is and always will be better than Jimmy Rollins. :p

I just like watching phils fans being more worried about how the yankee fans feel than being happy about then being the best team in the NL bar none. But they were last year too and that didn’t work so well, a fail just like the Yanks.

Mike 12-14-2010 10:35 AM

lee might have a good career record vs the yanks, but halladay doesnt... and lee and hamels were both on the world series team that lost to the yanks...

yanks will pick up grinke as a consolation prize, and be just fine...

BonzoHansen 12-14-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrrmike (Post 742583)
yanks will pick up grinke as a consolation prize, and be just fine...

that could be great or fail big. he may have a psyche more fragile than that of philly fans lol. although I am reading the yanks may not have what the royals want because they have top prospects in the same places as the yanks top prospects (both have big catcher prospects, etc)

Mike 12-14-2010 11:02 AM

the yanks are talking about trading major league talent, ie. either granderson or swisher, this would get the deal done and free up a spot for the young home grown outfielders they have waiting in the wings....

Mike 12-14-2010 11:04 AM

russel martin is also a big pickup, as they had horrible play from their dh's and their DEFENSIVE catching last season.