NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Diesel 1500 dodge? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62588)

wretched73 01-15-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 945657)
Read that as well. Pretty cool they are opening up the diesel game. The use of lightweight materials in certain areas is a nice touch. Aluminum body panels means hopefully less chance of corrosion too.

I wonder if GM will offer a bigger infotainment screen like the new Ram.

WOW! That's huge!

Blackbirdws6 01-15-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 945658)
WOW! That's huge!

12" screen. Shame the rest of the truck will probably be garbage.

BonzoHansen 01-15-2018 11:20 AM

Do you need a full sized iPad in your dash to help call AAA and Ram service? Seems like an iPad mini would work as well for that.

Blackbirdws6 01-15-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 945660)
Do you need a full sized iPad in your dash to help call AAA and Ram service? Seems like an iPad mini would work as well for that.

No but the nice thing is that you can do both at the same time since the bigger screen allows for split screen. Efficiency!

wretched73 01-15-2018 01:25 PM

Will the screen at least rattle as much as the rest of the vehicle?

WildBillyT 01-15-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 945660)

Gotta be able to watch Netflix while waiting for the tow

The_Bishop 01-15-2018 03:04 PM

On the whole "Aluminum = Less corrosion"... Yeah, nope.

Almost all of out newer fire trucks are aluminum bodied. The ones that are getting to the 5-6 year old mark have corrosion issues where there aren't any holes, but the paint is coming up in sheets with white powdery aluminum oxide under it.

Blackbirdws6 01-15-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 945666)

Almost all of out newer fire trucks are aluminum bodied. The ones that are getting to the 5-6 year old mark have corrosion issues where there aren't any holes, but the paint is coming up in sheets with white powdery aluminum oxide under it.

Nah. Dodge has a good history of fine quality paint.

http://beautyandbedlam.com/wp-conten...ravan-2003.JPG

sweetbmxrider 01-15-2018 04:52 PM

That screen is huge!

Different grades of aluminum out there will hold up to natural elements differently.....I'm sure it'll be **** :rofl:

BonzoHansen 01-15-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

more correctly it should rear like the warranties do..."less corrosion perforation" - that aluminum takes longer to rot to the point of perforation than steel.

corrosion warranty on new cars is junk. here is your 2017 ford corrosion 'not covered'. other makes i have rear seem similar.

Quote:

Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.
You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:
•dings, dents
•cuts, burns, punctures or tears
•road salt
•tree sap, bird and bee droppings
•windstorm, lightening, hail
•earthquake
•freezing, water or flood
•stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
•windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield
stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles
(which ever occurs first), even though caused by use and/or exposure
to the elements

LTb1ow 01-16-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Meh, depends.

All the stuff I make at work is aluminum based, and we never have rust/corrosion issues.

All depends on how the metal is coated.

wretched73 01-16-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 945668)
That screen is huge!

Different grades of aluminum out there will hold up to natural elements differently.....I'm sure it'll be **** :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 945675)
Meh, depends.

All the stuff I make at work is aluminum based, and we never have rust/corrosion issues.

All depends on how the metal is coated.

I'm sure you're using aerospace grades, 2024/7050/7075 maybe even some 6061.

The new cars and trucks are probably 3003/5052 or some other commercial alloy.

LS1ow 01-16-2018 08:49 AM

Must be a scary future for body shop guys with all the aluminum. It cost us a ton of money to get all the tools and training to do aluminum repair. I cant imagine a private body shop being able to swing such a thing as easy. And part availability is a nightmare as well. Only certain people can order them (Im one of them) so sometimes you cant even use your normal supply guy. I think the days of bringing your car to anything but a in house dealer body shop are going to end. For anything new atleast lol

Featherburner 01-16-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 945677)
Must be a scary future for body shop guys with all the aluminum. It cost us a ton of money to get all the tools and training to do aluminum repair. I cant imagine a private body shop being able to swing such a thing as easy. And part availability is a nightmare as well. Only certain people can order them (Im one of them) so sometimes you cant even use your normal supply guy. I think the days of bringing your car to anything but a in house dealer body shop are going to end. For anything new atleast lol

You don't think the aftermarket won't reproduce everything in steel?

LS1ow 01-17-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Featherburner (Post 945686)
You don't think the aftermarket won't reproduce everything in steel?

Bolt on parts yeah, they already do it for our cars. But anything that is "bolt on" you dont need to be certified for. For instance if the door on your car is Aluminum, any one can walk in and buy one. But if your looking for something like a frame rail or the inner section of the 1/4, anything structural(the stuff you have to be certified to buy/work on), i don't think so. Or at least i haven't seen anything yet.

maroman88 01-20-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

go with the stainless bodies, ours are holding up great, ones almost 30 years old with zero paint issues

our explorer police cars hoods all had to be repainted under warranty for the paint peeling off the aluminum.

BonzoHansen 01-20-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman88 (Post 945772)
our explorer police cars hoods all had to be repainted under warranty for the paint peeling off the aluminum.

ours did that and ford denied the claim. that was the last straw, i traded it in after that.

The_Bishop 01-21-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman88 (Post 945772)
go with the stainless bodies, ours are holding up great, ones almost 30 years old with zero paint issues

Trying to convince the department heads that it's worth the added expense is similar to trying to ice-skate uphill.