NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   NOTICE THE PRICE OF GAS GOING UP! (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43892)

edpontiac91 05-11-2009 07:17 PM

NOTICE THE PRICE OF GAS GOING UP!

It went up about 10-15 cents in about 3-4 days. Why, just because it was Mothers Day and is one of the heaviest traveled holidays. The other is Memorial Day coming up. Got to shove up it our AS quickly to make more profit, even though there is a surplus of gas and oil is still quite cheap. I hate that we are driving less, using less and yet nobody can put a lid on the oil companies. A lot of people are driving less and have even less to spend on gas because they are out of work and can't make ends meet, BUT THE FN GAS COMPANIES DON'T GIVE A RATS AS! F'em ALL :moon:

madness410 05-11-2009 07:20 PM

yeah i ****in hate that ****

LTb1ow 05-11-2009 07:21 PM

Yup, 2.35 a gallon here. I miss <2.00 gallons... :(

NJ346 05-11-2009 07:22 PM

The price of a barrel has gone up about $10 in the past 2 weeks....that's why prices went up. Demand also went up a bit, and it's the typical time of year. I expect it to reach $3 for premium, but oh well, gotta pay to play. Just suck it up and live with it.

Whiplash Performance 05-11-2009 07:22 PM

I didn't even notice. I tend not to pay attention to it since I need it no matter what.

91chevywt 05-11-2009 07:36 PM

Its easy to get mad at the oil companys because on the surface they look like evil theves, but thats how the media portrays them. In all reality, they have very little to do with the price of oil, besides controlling the speed of production. If you look at their profit percentage it is right in line with other businesses.

JL8Jeff 05-11-2009 07:50 PM

It went up more than that. I paid $2.19 for premium my last fill up and it was $2.45 yesterday at the same station. But oil has gone up and we're hitting the beginning of the summer season so it was bound to go up. Experts were predicting $4.50 to $5 a gallon for this summer but oil stayed a lot lower than they thought so I think we'll stay a lot lower hopefully.

edpontiac91 05-11-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91chevywt (Post 587436)
Its easy to get mad at the oil companys because on the surface they look like evil theves, but thats how the media portrays them. In all reality, they have very little to do with the price of oil, besides controlling the speed of production. If you look at their profit percentage it is right in line with other businesses.

When I look at the profit they made for last year and the quarterly profits that were the most EVER made by any company, I tend to get a "LITTLE CYNICAL". Maybe their profits are in line with other businesses, but when you talk BILLIONS of dollars compared with other companies, I do think it has to do with some amount of greed and it is the one stock to buy because NOW it's the season to start upping the ante. To hell with economy and the unemployment rate, there's money to made in oil and they KNOW IT! :evil:

NJ346 05-11-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff (Post 587448)
It went up more than that. I paid $2.19 for premium my last fill up and it was $2.45 yesterday at the same station. But oil has gone up and we're hitting the beginning of the summer season so it was bound to go up. Experts were predicting $4.50 to $5 a gallon for this summer but oil stayed a lot lower than they thought so I think we'll stay a lot lower hopefully.

This was before the economy took a hit. They are saying anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 now.

deadtrend1 05-11-2009 08:33 PM

its ok .. warm weather is back so ill be on the bike more

91chevywt 05-11-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edpontiac91 (Post 587450)
When I look at the profit they made for last year and the quarterly profits that were the most EVER made by any company, I tend to get a "LITTLE CYNICAL". Maybe their profits are in line with other businesses, but when you talk BILLIONS of dollars compared with other companies, I do think it has to do with some amount of greed and it is the one stock to buy because NOW it's the season to start upping the ante. To hell with economy and the unemployment rate, there's money to made in oil and they KNOW IT! :evil:

Its not so much about the amount that is coming in, its profit percentage. There is a lot of money spent before the oil gets to the pump, and there are a lot of employees; skilled, trained employees at that. The oil companies don't set the price for a barrel of oil, they are just a middle man..the same as the guys that pump the gas.

Mike 05-11-2009 08:46 PM

if your not willing to walk or ride a bicycle, dont bitch about gas prices, every one contributes to it...

Teds89IROC 05-11-2009 09:15 PM

sure oil went up recently but I remember hearing/reading how for a long time oil has remained between $40-50 a barrel and gas prices still crept back up to 1.80 during the same time frame...it's all a game and unfortunately we're stuck.

Knipps 05-11-2009 11:42 PM

I paid $2.07 today for regular? Gas goes up every summer. I don't know why anyone's bitching.

Savage_Messiah 05-12-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

there's money to made in oil and they KNOW IT! :evil:

Welcome to America. We're capitalist here.

NastyEllEssWon 05-12-2009 01:59 AM

yeah you know in other countries gas is like 3 dollars a liter. so yeah. be grateful. who even checks the price of gas anyway? you know your gonna pay whatever that sign reads :nod:

edpontiac91 05-12-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon (Post 587587)
yeah you know in other countries gas is like 3 dollars a liter. so yeah. be grateful. who even checks the price of gas anyway? you know your gonna pay whatever that sign reads :nod:

You're 100% correct. What PISSES me off is how it just seems to shoot UP just before a major HOLIDAY. It's like "I know the public is going to be using a lot of gas this weekend, so let's raise the price up real fast". It's just the timing that SUCKS! :-x

bandit88 05-12-2009 06:51 AM

better get my new dd soon......... and i guess i might not be borrowing the SOM too much again this summer :(

HardcoreZ28 05-12-2009 07:07 AM

Gas prices shoot up right before a major holiday for a reason.....increased demand which puts stress on supply. All the oil companies are bidding on the same supply pool and if they expect extra demand they end up having to pay higher prices to win the contracts for the increased supply.

I used to hate the oil business too and now that I work in it and have a much better understanding there's a lot more to the picture.

Just an FYI.....the average profit on 1 gallon of gasoline for my company hovers right around $0.03 and we're a major player on the east coast. So out of that 2 plus dollars the company is making 3 cents.

HeadlessNorseman 05-12-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Id hate to say it but this sort of attitude is what is killing America. Why does nobody understands how a percentage works? Oil companies made like an average 10% profit last year i believe. Dominos makes like a 12% profit... They are only making record amounts in dollars because we are using gas at record rates. Its not like there is one guy sitting behind a desk raising prices and raking in dump truck loads of cash. Its the same with any other business. Driving and gas arent privileges they are a product. On another, less related note, look at what a company like shell pays in taxes vs what they make as a profit. 10% profit? 40% income tax. So where do you think your money is going when gas prices are high?

BigAls87Z28 05-12-2009 08:53 AM

I would like to believe the but demand last year wad very low and supply was higher then average. So explain how the had nearly 50% increase in profits?

MonmouthCtyAntz 05-12-2009 09:03 AM

Yea there creeping up again...Good thing the Z isnt my everyday driver.

Frosty 05-12-2009 09:10 AM

Do you guys REALLY think the oil companies make a ridiculous amount of $$ on gas? They don't. ExxonMobil and other "oil" companies are ENERGY companies. Do you guys really think all of these profits are from gasoline sales? A very minute amount of their overall revenue is from gas. These companies sell ENERGY, they also sell oil which as we know is in just about everything. The ******* media and sheep that cling on to every word they say loving having people think it's ONE guy in a in a big corporate office playing with prices.

Seriously though guys, before everyone starts jumping on the "oil companies are bad" bandwagon again research some stuff and realize that these companies don't sell just gas, they don't sell just oil, they sell energy and have their hands in making a ton of products we use every day.

With that said, I noticed the other week that the prices were creeping up...it sucks but there's nothing we can do about it...well aside from some obvious things but we might disrupt the habitat for the rare African spotted meal worm or something...

MonmouthCtyAntz 05-12-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 587654)
Do you guys REALLY think the oil companies make a ridiculous amount of $$ on gas? They don't. ExxonMobil and other "oil" companies are ENERGY companies. Do you guys really think all of these profits are from gasoline sales? A very minute amount of their overall revenue is from gas. These companies sell ENERGY, they also sell oil which as we know is in just about everything. The ******* media and sheep that cling on to every word they say loving having people think it's ONE guy in a in a big corporate office playing with prices.

Seriously though guys, before everyone starts jumping on the "oil companies are bad" bandwagon again research some stuff and realize that these companies don't sell just gas, they don't sell just oil, they sell energy and have their hands in making a ton of products we use every day.

With that said, I noticed the other week that the prices were creeping up...it sucks but there's nothing we can do about it...well aside from some obvious things but we might disrupt the habitat for the rare African spotted meal worm or something...

I can understand that...then why are they having record setting profites every quarter..My coworkers wife works for exxon and she seems to have a different opinion lol.

Frosty 05-12-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz (Post 587663)
I can understand that...then why are they having record setting profites every quarter..My coworkers wife works for exxon and she seems to have a different opinion lol.

...and I ask you this...are their record profits from gas sales? I'd say no. They have one of the most valuable items known to man, one of the most in-demand products in history...of course as demand goes up so do their profits. However, most companies are at 10% and some are at 8% profit margin, right inline with the US average.