NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   cam question non f-body (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54744)

Scrat's_Camaro 01-31-2011 04:57 PM

cam question non f-body

ok i couldnt get any answers on an s10 forum but my buddy has a s10 with the 2.2 4 banger that he is gonna completely build up and turbo. now he was looking for a cam for the motor and came across one that has a duration 206/206, lift .313/.313, 112 lobe separation. he wanted to know if it will give him a lopey sound to it or not. i dont know squat about cam durations and what not so i tried searching up videos and soundclips to see if there were any cars with the setup but couldnt find anything. do you guys know?

RamAir95TA 01-31-2011 05:10 PM

Lope and 4-cylinder don't belong in the same sentence, sadly. It'd probably sound pretty crappy to be honest.

Tru2Chevy 01-31-2011 06:16 PM

If he wants a turbo tell him that he shouldn't be bothered trying to buy a cam based on sound, he should buy a cam that is designed for the turbo.

A cam that makes great NA power won't work so great with the boost, and same goes the other way around.

- Justin

Scrat's_Camaro 01-31-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 748965)
If he wants a turbo tell him that he shouldn't be bothered trying to buy a cam based on sound, he should buy a cam that is designed for the turbo.

A cam that makes great NA power won't work so great with the boost, and same goes the other way around.

- Justin

gotcha,
i dont think he wants it based on sound cause he told me it would give him a gain of 14hp but if its a n/a cam then it wont do him any good anyway then. Is there a company that strictly make cams for turbo applications or can he just tell comp cams or lunati and such what he is building and they can set him up with one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA (Post 748959)
Lope and 4-cylinder don't belong in the same sentence, sadly. It'd probably sound pretty crappy to be honest.

ive actually heard some with a lopey cam and some of them sound good. though it is wierd hearing it from a 4 banger.

RamAir95TA 01-31-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat's_Camaro (Post 749002)
ive actually heard some with a lopey cam and some of them sound good. though it is wierd hearing it from a 4 banger.

Meh. I've never heard a 4-banger that sounded even remotely good. Then again I suppose sounding good is subjective.

Tru2Chevy 02-01-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat's_Camaro (Post 748998)
gotcha,
i dont think he wants it based on sound cause he told me it would give him a gain of 14hp but if its a n/a cam then it wont do him any good anyway then. Is there a company that strictly make cams for turbo applications or can he just tell comp cams or lunati and such what he is building and they can set him up with one?

Have him make semi-final decisions on what other parts will be going into the build, then call the cam company of his choosing and tell them exactly what he's doing. They shouldn't have a problem recommending an off the shelf grind that will work well, or spec'ing out a custom grind that will do the job best.

- Justin

Scrat's_Camaro 02-02-2011 11:49 AM

alright cool, thanks

crainholio 02-03-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat's_Camaro (Post 748956)
ok i couldnt get any answers on an s10 forum but my buddy has a s10 with the 2.2 4 banger that he is gonna completely build up and turbo.

Unable to keep reading after "4 banger" and use of "turbo" as a verb.

WildBillyT 02-03-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrat's_Camaro (Post 748998)
gotcha,

If I were him I'd make a decision based on minimizing low end power loss. HP numbers are made up high, so he has to make sure that 14hp gain up top doesn't make the truck a dog down low, especially with the turbo.

Blacdout96 02-03-2011 10:34 AM

If I was him, I would put together a parts list of everything he wants to purchase, and a call shop specializing in custom cam grinds, let them know what parts, and what his intentions are, and they will grind a cam that would best suit his build. If there are these sites and sops that specialize in building 2.2 turbo's give them a ring, they will help you out the best.