NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Lifting PRs! (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41500)

LTb1ow 02-16-2009 02:42 PM

Lifting PRs!

Woot!

Added more reps to every exercise and bumped my bench weight to 220. Slowly working back up to 280.

Very good day for me to say the least. :nod:

And can anyone recommend a good set of gloves to wear so my hands don't get all calloused? I guess also for grip, the bar gets slippery.

WildBillyT 02-16-2009 03:09 PM

Yeah. Valeo competition gloves with no padding. I go through a set every 6 months but they are like a second skin- no extra padding to F with your grip.

z28rob18 02-16-2009 03:30 PM

last week i really got back into it myself everyday im takin in the 4k calories of good food and all my weight went up. my leg press is back up to 680lbs all my excersises are back up.

NJSPEEDER 02-16-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547677)
Woot!

Added more reps to every exercise and bumped my bench weight to 220. Slowly working back up to 280.

And can anyone recommend a good set of gloves to wear so my hands don't get all calloused? I guess also for grip, the bar gets slippery.

How is the running coming along? Remember, last one to the line is buying the beer ;)

LTb1ow 02-16-2009 05:53 PM

I have been running at least 2 miles every other day. Its tough cause I don't work my legs. lol I am all topsided.

sweetbmxrider 02-16-2009 08:45 PM

why oh why don't people work out the legs? its simple and your quads are the strongest muscle group. not that being bulky-big helps you run.

LTb1ow 02-16-2009 09:44 PM

I just don't have the equipment is what it comes down too. :(

WildBillyT 02-16-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 547807)
why oh why don't people work out the legs? its simple and your quads are the strongest muscle group. not that being bulky-big helps you run.

Building up your legs requires a lot more work then upper body.

LTb1ow 02-16-2009 10:11 PM

If I had the thing to do squats with I would use it but as of now, I am stuck with running.

madness410 02-16-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547856)
If I had the thing to do squats with I would use it but as of now, I am stuck with running.

what kind of equipment do you need? i know a few good excersizes that could work your legs with dumbells, but they would have to be heavy lol.

congrats on your personal record, always good to see people getting in shape..your well being is priceless

madness410 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

oh and as for gloves...i just go into sports authority / ebay and buy a pair of harbinger gloves, they are cheap and havent been giving me problems...

but i may test out the ones bill was talking about earlier, i started deadlifting more and my grip gets weird with heavy weight

ta350 02-17-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547677)
Woot!

I don't recommend gloves just for the fact that they weaken your grip. When wearing them you'll have more but when your not wearing them you'll see that you have less. I suggest just go with out them and just build it up.... my 2 cents

MonmouthCtyAntz 02-17-2009 07:00 AM

Man I havent benched heavy in years...most I ever did was 315 for 1 rep @ 165 pd. body weight. The good ol days:|

LTb1ow 02-17-2009 08:35 AM

My weight is around 195, I drink a tad to much water to it fluctuates. But as for deadlifting or sqautting, I lift in my room, second story. I already probably have way to much weight to have safely in one room, and couple that with a potential of dropping weight would be bad news. How much do one of those "cages" for squatting go for?

WildBillyT 02-17-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta350 (Post 547914)
I don't recommend gloves just for the fact that they weaken your grip. When wearing them you'll have more but when your not wearing them you'll see that you have less. I suggest just go with out them and just build it up.... my 2 cents

I've had the exact opposite experience. When I wear gloves my grip suffers. When I lift with my bare hands my grip is much better. That's why I use those Valeo gloves that are pretty thin. If I use a glove with a lot of padding I can't hold the bar towards the end of my deadlift sets.

LTb1ow 02-17-2009 08:47 AM

Yea at the moment, I have my bench bar wrapped with some tape and I use flour on my hands..... don't laugh, works decently.

WildBillyT 02-17-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547943)
Yea at the moment, I have my bench bar wrapped with some tape and I use flour on my hands..... don't laugh, works decently.

I use baby powder. Cheapest stuff I can find. Sometimes it smells like lavender.

LTb1ow 02-17-2009 08:57 AM

Another downside to using a standard size bar :(

NJSPEEDER 02-17-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 547848)
Building up your legs requires a lot more work then upper body.

But it requires much less effort. Just go to the store and get a set of 5lbs ankle weights to wear around the house.

Building big power would require special equipment, but most of what you need to do to have strong, defined legs can be done with simple ankle weights.

KirkEvil 02-17-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547856)

There is plenty of dead weight sitting in your garage. push the LT1 up and down the driveway

LTb1ow 02-17-2009 11:00 AM

I could do that, cept the oil leak would make it hard to get a good footing.

madness410 02-17-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shownomercy (Post 547935)
My weight is around 195, I drink a tad to much water to it fluctuates. But as for deadlifting or sqautting, I lift in my room, second story. I already probably have way to much weight to have safely in one room, and couple that with a potential of dropping weight would be bad news. How much do one of those "cages" for squatting go for?

a power rack you mean? not too expensive...it's the bar and plates that get pricey. I found a good deal at the sports authority but it's made in china and feels really cheap. but it gets the job done well. if u get one of those u can get a bench that inclines/declines and use the power rack as a benchpress also.

madness410 02-17-2009 12:07 PM

oh another thing...if you want strength go for lower reps with more weight. muscles grow better when they are challeneged constantly. I started doing that deadlifting and the past month I noticed drastic improvements.

LTb1ow 02-17-2009 02:00 PM

I just change speed and how many reps I do but I set a minimum for each exercise.

z28rob18 02-17-2009 03:15 PM

listenin to you guys talk makes me feel real fortunate. i have EVERYTHING for liftin in my house we hav a weight roome with everything. tons of plates for the leg press and squat rack and a huge dumbell rack.