NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   my faceplated T56 experience (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38166)

98tadriver 10-27-2008 10:28 PM

my faceplated T56 experience

i installed it today. Since i read other peoples threads about them, i knew exactly what to expect

shifting straight into first will clunk a little. i found shifting into 5th gear, then back into 1st solves that problem

shifting normal makes a clunking sound while going into gear
downshifting without rev matching will make a clunk/sort of grind sound

solution- double clutch it and/or rev match. doing this makes it go in smooth and noise free

1/4 mile runs/fast shifting- OMG i love it. just like ive read before- the harder you drive it, the smoother it goes in

for the hell of it i tried powershifting. that isnt a problem, just keep your right foot flat and bump the clutch while shifting, goes right in

theres no noise while cruising in any gear.

i will get in-car video as soon as it stops raining and is dry enough so i can get traction.

LTb1ow 10-27-2008 10:32 PM

Sorry for the newbness, but whats a faceplated T56 entail?

Blacdout96 10-28-2008 02:31 AM

So you have to heel-toe this thing when you downshift? I am also at a lose for the term "faceplate". It sounds like you no longer have synchros cause your saying your having a little trouble getting it into gear unless you match the RPMS and you get a clunk when engaging.

WildBillyT 10-28-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacdout96 (Post 504066)
So you have to heel-toe this thing when you downshift? I am also at a lose for the term "faceplate". It sounds like you no longer have synchros cause your saying your having a little trouble getting it into gear unless you match the RPMS and you get a clunk when engaging.

I am at a loss as well. Ron, could you clarify?

1QWIKBIRD 10-28-2008 02:12 PM

Here is an explanation.....

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/face-tooth.asp

Jersyboyy 10-28-2008 02:13 PM

http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate.htm

Jersyboyy 10-28-2008 02:14 PM

DAMMIT you really are 1QWIKBIRD...

WildBillyT 10-28-2008 02:16 PM

Gotcha. I was familiar with the pro-shifted gears but not the faceplated. That's pretty cool.

sweetbmxrider 10-28-2008 02:59 PM

oh i get it now. thats cool stuff.

98tadriver 10-28-2008 05:05 PM

sorry fellas, i just got home a lil while ago and checked this thread

im sure liberty's site explains it.

basically, theres no synchros from 1-4th gear. 5th, 6th and reverse retain them,

it wont pop out of gear upon decel like the proshifted transmissions
annd its very streetable for what it is. however if your 6spd car is your main DD or only car, i wouldnt do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacdout96 (Post 504066)

it goes in easy, it will just clunk unless the rpms are matched. and where im so used to driving my T56s with bad 3-4 synchros and not grinding (normal driving), its pretty easy for me to drive this one with no synchros

rscamaro73 10-29-2008 12:14 PM

Was this 'specialized' work you had done or just got a new trans already like this ?

I'm looking for whatever it takes to make a T-56 last behind a BBC and/or a hi-rpm LSx of the same power variety (for road course/auto-x).

Not in the market now, but I am looking and learning....:mrgreen:

98tadriver 10-29-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscamaro73 (Post 504629)
Was this 'specialized' work you had done or just got a new trans already like this ?

I'm looking for whatever it takes to make a T-56 last behind a BBC and/or a hi-rpm LSx of the same power variety (for road course/auto-x).

Not in the market now, but I am looking and learning....:mrgreen:

i bought it like that from a member on LS1tech. you can get your trans built strong without the faceplating setup. I just wanted to experience this trans for myself

sixspeedsinc has a couple stages and decent pricing.

PolarBear 10-31-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98tadriver (Post 504768)
i bought it like that from a member on LS1tech. you can get your trans built strong without the faceplating setup. I just wanted to experience this trans for myself

sixspeedsinc has a couple stages and decent pricing.

I saw that on LS1 but I didnt want it. Now that I read your review I wish I had gotten it! :wink:

98tadriver 02-13-2009 08:12 PM

a little update on this, its still holding up great, and ive pretty much mastered street driving it and last year it was great ripping thru the gears down the track. on WOT runs, it sounds almost automatic at times :D and this is without powershifting or clutchless shifting

Bangin Bob 02-14-2009 05:11 PM

I wouldn't reccommend this for everyone but we build alot of these in case anyone is interested? 6 speeds and TKO 500/600 5 speeds. Had one in my mustang 10-15 yrs. ago all but went into the eights. Again not for everybody! Bob

Blacdout96 02-14-2009 09:15 PM

Bob, what do you recommend doing for road racing trans? I dont need one to go into the 8's, I need one to handle all the harsh shifting. will there be that awsome whine from the trans as well? lol

Bangin Bob 02-15-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacdout96 (Post 547070)
Bob, what do you recommend doing for road racing trans? I dont need one to go into the 8's, I need one to handle all the harsh shifting. will there be that awsome whine from the trans as well? lol

I will assume that this is a part time street car road race car? If so I would probably think about converting it to a triple cone blocker ring arrangement like on the Corvette, GTO and Caddy. Pretty expenxive conversion. I do have a customer that has a GTO box that I refreshed that wants to sell it. Call me if your interested.

GP99GT 02-15-2009 10:53 AM

ron, you never got us a video you liar

Tru2Chevy 02-15-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP99GT (Post 547213)
ron, you never got us a video you liar

You got to hear it at TTP's last Dyno Day....

- Justin

PolarBear 02-15-2009 05:40 PM

I didn't get to see it :)

NJSPEEDER 02-15-2009 05:56 PM

Let's just say that putting it in gear involves a loud and rather disconcerting clunk noise

Blacdout96 02-15-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER (Post 547389)
Let's just say that putting it in gear involves a loud and rather disconcerting clunk noise

thats exactly what i want lol. dont ask why, I just love the sound.

Knipps 02-16-2009 05:31 PM

Doing it for the sound? :rice:

98tadriver 02-16-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER (Post 547389)

thats IF u dont rev match it lol. its quiet most of the time when i drive it. and matt, ill get you a inside video sometime soon. i just need a camera person. Ill get morgan freeman to narrarate as i drive lol. but yeah ill get that video sometime soon hopefully

NJSPEEDER 02-16-2009 06:15 PM

How does one rev match first Ron? lol

If you hadn't warned us what was gonna happen before he put it in reverse I would have sworn that something broke. lol