NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wire Removal (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67772)

LS1ow 05-23-2017 03:15 PM

Wire Removal

As you guys know, i have an on going project

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67204

^^^ link to main build thread :wink: ^^^

With the interior pretty much all back together, i have decided the dash needs to come out again. And while doing so, id like to tidy things up a bit.

What is the "proper" way to go about the remaining pieces of wire after removing the ones you wont need?

For instance, i am ditching the hvac stuff and well as the cd changer in the back of my car. Rather than just leaving them unplugged, i plan on cutting them back as close to the "main" harness as possible. But thats were im a bit confused.

I obviously dont want to leave exposed wire just hangin out, but is just throwing some electrical tape over the ends of them the real way to do it?

Jersey Mike 05-23-2017 03:44 PM

Please stop ruining this car. If you're bored, clean the undercarriage.

LS1ow 05-23-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 937904)
Please stop ruining this car. If you're bored, clean the undercarriage.

so leaving wires not plugged into anything flopping around behind the dash would be considered not ruined?:bertstare:

LTb1ow 05-24-2017 06:42 AM

Its tough cause GM loves their fuggin common connections mid harness. I trimmed as much wire out of my harness as I could and it still looks crummy. Best bet is to trim em back as much as you can, then seal em up.

sweetbmxrider 05-24-2017 06:43 AM

Wouldn't be terrible to actually yank the wiring out and re-loom. But if you kill the power source on any potentially hot wires, who cares what the ends are doing.

The car was ruined and beggarz is bringing it back!

LS1ow 05-24-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 937928)
Its tough cause GM loves their fuggin common connections mid harness. I trimmed as much wire out of my harness as I could and it still looks crummy. Best bet is to trim em back as much as you can, then seal em up.

seal them up in what way? thats literally the reason for this thread mongo

LTb1ow 05-24-2017 08:13 AM

I shrunk heat tube over each end.

LS1ow 05-24-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 937933)
I shrunk heat tube over each end.

genius. no wonder they let you build air plane parts

sweetbmxrider 05-24-2017 08:41 AM

I don't get the point. If you strip back either side of the wire, its literally dead weight in your car. It won't magically start arching on the body or some nonsense like that....

LS1ow 05-24-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 937936)
I don't get the point. If you strip back either side of the wire, its literally dead weight in your car. It won't magically start arching on the body or some nonsense like that....

Thats pretty much what im concerned about. I dont want any "hot" wires to arch out on anything, rather have them covered up

sweetbmxrider 05-24-2017 10:18 AM

Right well if you do some proper negging, no issues shall be had. But, I'd prefer you half ass it so mike can't sleep....

LS1ow 05-24-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 937943)
Right well if you do some proper negging, no issues shall be had. But, I'd prefer you half ass it so mike can't sleep....

by proper you mean? like cutting all the way back to the power source?

and i agree. anything to make mike complain, which isnt much

LTb1ow 05-24-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 937948)
by proper you mean? like cutting all the way back to the power source?

and i agree. anything to make mike complain, which isnt much

Adam means slice both ends, so its just a errant wire in the harness to be confusing later on when you have to diagnose gremlins.

Jersey Mike 05-24-2017 11:03 AM

You/whoever owns this thing in 13 months, [are] going to regret your snip-happy ways.

sweetbmxrider 05-24-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 937951)
Adam means slice both ends, so its just a errant wire in the harness to be confusing later on when you have to diagnose gremlins.

Originally I said remove from loom entirely.

wretched73 05-24-2017 11:25 AM

Just leave everything in case you decide you're tired of sitting in your own nut sweat and want A/C again

LS1ow 05-24-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 937952)
You/whoever owns this thing in 13 months, [are] going to regret your snip-happy ways.

if the car has no HVAC, and an aftermarket head unit that doesnt use the factory CD changer, why keep it and the wiring there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 937957)
Just leave everything in case you decide you're tired of sitting in your own nut sweat and want A/C again

car is going to be driven very rarely, not having AC isnt really a concern. If its a hot day, ill just take my jeep

wretched73 05-24-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 937964)
car is going to be driven very rarely, not having AC isnt really a concern. If its a hot day, ill just take my jeep

Plans change. Goals change. Lifestyles change.

What you think it great today you may not think is great tomorrow.

I still vote to keep it. You could probably use the time for something more productive anyway.

Jersey Mike 05-24-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 937964)
why keep it and the wiring there

What do you stand to gain by removing it? I'd personally leave it unplugged & tuck the connectors away out of sight, but then again I don't have a Disney character holding a nitrous bottle tattooed on my shoulder :shrug:

ar0ck 05-24-2017 03:01 PM

I separated the harness out of the loom, and followed each line/color from start to finish and pushed the pins out where I could.

LS1ow 05-24-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 937965)

I still vote to keep it. You could probably use the time for something more productive anyway.

I agree, but I think most people seem to be missing the mark. I'm not building this car to go to car shows, or cruise around cruise nights with. Yeah obviously I'll go to some, but I'm not gunna wax and claybar the car before hand. It'll prob just get hosed off and not even dried.

The car is being built to be as fast as possible for what it is. If it's going to be raw and uncomfortable then so be it. I've had 2 "fast" audis, a ton of faster cars that have no Ac/no ps/ect, and the crappy torn up no ac no interior cars are a lot more fun to drive and toss around.

LTb1ow 05-24-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 937965)

https://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/I...31a202b8f5.jpg

sweetbmxrider 05-24-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar0ck (Post 937972)
I separated the harness out of the loom, and followed each line/color from start to finish and pushed the pins out where I could.

If Alex can do what I said, you can too beggarz!!!!

No offense, sirs!

LS1ow 05-26-2017 08:01 AM

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...pstmwtv5ew.jpg

BonzoHansen 05-26-2017 08:39 AM

you are building a track car, if you don't want to remove the wires as listed above, just cut them off and call it a day. this ain't no show car or DD.