NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   This is why.. (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68166)

PolarBear 11-02-2017 12:09 PM

This is why..

I hate technology;

I bought a window closer module for The Banana, it is one of the DEI modules. Easy hookup, power, 5 grounds, two wires to the motors and two wires to the switches. I hooked all the grounds together and put them on the same ground location on the tunnel as the factory stuff. After I installed the module it worked perfectly, even though I never calibrated it, for 3-4 weeks and after that it would still work, but it would only roll the window down about an inch and you would have to press the button again. Whatever, it was a pain but I didn't feel like pulling the console apart to calibrate it. Some time after the "failure", it started rolling the passenger side window down on it's own, an inch at a time over and over. It was still cycling the relay in the module, so it was doing it infinitely. BUT it would only do this when the humidity was high, and it was cooler-ish outside, so a hot dry day it would work, just the one inch at a time. Fine. I would fight the module and pull the circuit breaker for the window circuit so I didn't have to fight the window.

So on Monday I rolled the windows down on the way home from work, and left the breaker in at night. When I started the car in the morning I put the defroster on and drove to work, park the car and go inside. Come lunch I get in the car, start it and then realize the defrost was on. Then the friggin window starts rolling down. I was like huh? why didn't it do it right away. Then I realize that I just shut off the HVAC. I turn it back on and the window stops trying to roll down. WT actual F?!?!?
How are these things even related? They are separate systems in the car with no overlap except the ground (not even the same spot) and the same ignition feed in the fuse panel?!?!

Not looking for advice to fix it, just another WTF moment where I want to smash anything that is more technological than a simple circuit that I control. :facepalm:

sweetbmxrider 11-02-2017 12:31 PM

:-?

unstable bob gable 11-02-2017 02:10 PM

Poor Polar Bears...

deadtrend1 11-02-2017 08:58 PM

What is the actual function of a window close module?

PolarBear 11-03-2017 08:06 AM

It's express up/down for 2 windows, or up or down for 4 windows

WildBillyT 11-03-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944077)
I hate technology;

Proceeds to upgrade everything on the car, right down to lightweight aluminum seat hog rings.

FTFY

ThoR294 11-03-2017 01:59 PM

how did you run the power wires

PolarBear 11-03-2017 02:16 PM

Same location as factory, but I used 10 gauge instead of the puny 16