NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2014 Cruze Diesel CEL (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68201)

LTb1ow 11-27-2017 09:03 AM

2014 Cruze Diesel CEL

Before I buy a sensor, figured I would get some hopeful agreement from the caucus on here.

Car is throwing a MIL and is in DEF poor quality countdown to useless car mode.

P20EE is the code, and combined with poor DEF, I am leaning towards buying a N0X #2 sensor for ~190 bucks

Ref http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....0466&jsn=10466

thoughts?

SRGN 11-28-2017 11:49 PM

Do a manual regen on it first. Also review the freeze frame data.

FlyingDutchman 11-29-2017 06:37 AM

Isn't that sensor covered under warranty? I replaced it myself before it was a known problem (I had persistent P11D7). There was a revised part, maybe check the module and compare with the rockauto p/n to see if it was replaced before you go and buy it ?

If you want to do a manual regen or force a normal cycle, check the Google play store for Biscan, it's a torque pro pluggin that allows those functions without a trip to the dealer (they charge quite a bit for that I heard). It also includes several other diesel PIDs.

PolarBear 11-29-2017 07:42 AM

Can't you lemon law that car by now? Haven't you had it in the shop more than twice for the same thing in 30 days?

Blackbirdws6 11-29-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944761)
Can't you lemon law that car by now? Haven't you had it in the shop more than twice for the same thing in 30 days?

Works differently for used cars and not everything is covered. Sounds like this can be fixed and just takes more effort by the dealer to actually do the right thing.

PolarBear 11-29-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 944762)
Works differently for used cars and not everything is covered. Sounds like this can be fixed and just takes more effort by the dealer to actually do the right thing.

I dont know how the LL works, but I would think since it is still under GM warranty that he would be able to LL law it since they won't do the necessary steps to fix it.

Blackbirdws6 11-29-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944764)
I dont know how the LL works, but I would think since it is still under GM warranty that he would be able to LL law it since they won't do the necessary steps to fix it.

The LL requirements are easier for a new car purchase, not a used. There are many things that should be covered by a law but aren't so while I agree in premise, only what's written in the law matters.

PolarBear 11-29-2017 09:23 AM

According to this it sure looks like this car is covered. But you have to go to the manufacturer, not the dealer

Blackbirdws6 11-29-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944766)
According to this it sure looks like this car is covered. But you have to go to the manufacturer, not the dealer

Only items covered - Engine, trans, FWD or RWD. Doesn't say anything about emission equipment.

PolarBear 11-29-2017 10:15 AM

OH, I missed the covered items part

LTb1ow 11-29-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRGN (Post 944754)
Do a manual regen on it first. Also review the freeze frame data.

Is this doable without tech2 or similar? I currently pay the dealer to basically get it out of speed limit mode and then take it home. Highway robbery :-x

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman (Post 944756)
Isn't that sensor covered under warranty? I replaced it myself before it was a known problem (I had persistent P11D7). There was a revised part, maybe check the module and compare with the rockauto p/n to see if it was replaced before you go and buy it ?

If you want to do a manual regen or force a normal cycle, check the Google play store for Biscan, it's a torque pro pluggin that allows those functions without a trip to the dealer (they charge quite a bit for that I heard). It also includes several other diesel PIDs.

n0x1 is the sensor covered under recall, comes with new software for more aggressive regens I think?

I will look into the scan tool, would love to avoid the dealer for stupid BS like this

SRGN 11-29-2017 02:00 PM

I can do it with the Autel, haven't tried the snap on yet.

LTb1ow 12-19-2017 07:36 PM

Dealer note indicated it was not getting anything from NOx #2, so replaced that sensor.

Topped off DEF tank and still in ****ing countdown mode.

Would a manual regen do anything for poor quality DEF countdown? Wish biscan would let you reset countdown mode. :|

LTb1ow 12-19-2017 07:55 PM

Update: Car is still throwing P20ee and the manual regen did not do anything.

FlyingDutchman 12-19-2017 08:31 PM

Was NOx1 replaced and newest tune flashed?

LTb1ow 12-19-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman (Post 945198)
Was NOx1 replaced and newest tune flashed?

AFAIK, no

FlyingDutchman 12-20-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 945200)
AFAIK, no

Probably should do that to rule it out - it's a recall and cost 0$. Chevrolet's website let's you enter your VIN and see what warranties are valid and what work was done (granted the dealership provided enough info).

LTb1ow 12-20-2017 12:24 PM

Honestly already started looking at a fleece tune and saying F it to this crap.

wretched73 12-20-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 945223)
Honestly already started looking at a fleece tune and saying F it to this crap.

Me Gusta.

The_Bishop 12-20-2017 01:29 PM

Before I spent any money deleting stuff I'd try the free recall work. If NOX1 is bad and giving false readings, when the PCM compares NOX2 with NOX1 to see if the SCR/DEF is working, it gets an invalid result and thinks the NOX reduction system isn't working.

The new calibration is supposed to help with the false error condition, too.

Also, if they do the recall work, the DEF is known good and the DEF injector is working, it points at a bad SCR catalyst, which is an emission system component and covered anyway.

See: https://www.engine-codes.com/p20ee.html

LTb1ow 12-20-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 945231)
Before I spent any money deleting stuff I'd try the free recall work. If NOX1 is bad and giving false readings, when the PCM compares NOX2 with NOX1 to see if the SCR/DEF is working, it gets an invalid result and thinks the NOX reduction system isn't working.

Also, if they do the recall work, the DEF is known good and the DEF injector is working, it points at a bad SCR catalyst, which is an emission system component and covered anyway.

Frankly cause I am tired of paying a dealer for crap I cannot do at home. That really irks me.

I am going to call the shop my family uses for their vehicles and see his confidence level with this car. That will happen before the tune trigger is pulled.

FlyingDutchman 12-20-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 945231)

P20ee has also been related to DEF tank, which is covered to 120k miles I think.

What's passenger car diesel inspection for NJ?

SRGN 12-20-2017 10:49 PM

If you're anywhere near me I'd love to take a crack at it. I do more diesel work than I'd like to admit. Just fixed a few countdowns on bluetec Mercedes sprinter vans in the last few weeks, I enjoy a challenge. I've got a 6.4 powerchoke at the shop that I'm doing injectors on tomorrow.

Anti_Rice_Guy 12-21-2017 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRGN (Post 945251)
If you're anywhere near me I'd love to take a crack at it. I do more diesel work than I'd like to admit. Just fixed a few countdowns on bluetec Mercedes sprinter vans in the last few weeks, I enjoy a challenge. I've got a 6.4 powerchoke at the shop that I'm doing injectors on tomorrow.

He's in Oceanport area, ~45 min from you. Not sure what your or his tolerance for distance is.

PolarBear 12-21-2017 07:52 AM

Just put a 4BT in it and be done with all this emissions crap