NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Camaro Plans (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68462)

Anti_Rice_Guy 06-04-2018 09:42 AM

Camaro Plans

Trying to be a stage the money in the car, but want to make some changes. Looking for feedback here on both what to do and the order you would do them, recognizing this is over the course of probably 5-6 years.

Backstory: I plan on keeping the car since 1) it's paid for and 2) everyone regrets selling their "first car" or a vehicle that's been in the family for nearly 20 years. It's not worth that much on paper with 81k miles, nor is it a 1 of 3, 1 owner car. I love it as a cruiser and for trips down the shore, along with the spirited backcountry jaunt. For this purpose, the car is perfect with just the boredom that comes with no major changes over that timespan. My biggest gripe if it can be considered one, is that it's become less exciting to drive, especially after daily-driving a stick Colorado for years.

#1-2 are happening this year:

1) Repaint nose of car (at least). Rest of the car is clean - not perfect but clean. Also would do !front plate at this point.
2) replace/paint misc. interior pieces that are cracked or don't look pretty enough.
3) BLS light mod

#3+ are happening in the future and are listed in no particular order:

3) Change wheels. I want 17s or 18s, although I love how the 16" chrome trans am wheels look, after 15 years I want a changeup. Always liked WS6 wheels and ZR1s, but not tied to any OEM. Yes, everyone loves Fikse but I'm not spending that kind of cash on wheels for this car unless I become independently wealthy.
4) Suspension - drop 1-1.5", probobably do koni/stranos. AFAIK, everything is circa 1995, or at least 2000. I don't want to go crazy low despite the amazing looks, since I don't want any problems and my driveway is fairly steep.
5) Trans Swap - I think it's slipping under WOT on the shifts a tad. Not a major problem yet, but may as well spend it on a T56.
6) Headers - I don't know what other engine mods will be forthcoming down the road, but likely nothing crazy. My manifolds are ugly, rusty, and swapping would obviously make for ease of maintenance down the road.
Open to other suggestions not saying I'll do them :lol: from "while you're theres" to prettying up things.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f7&oe=5BBDD747

WildBillyT 06-04-2018 09:53 AM

I'd make the T56 swap a priority, to be honest. There's got to be some people on here or that you know that have parts for a reasonable price. Will really change the attitude of the car.

Blackbirdws6 06-04-2018 10:04 AM

+1 on trans swap for the biggest "attitude" change.

During that time, likely best to do headers since you will have a number of parts out of the way.

As for wheels, getting a good set of 17" wheels these days is not hard if you wait for the right set. 18" wheels are nice but the tires are significantly more expensive. ZR1s stripped and powdercoated a nice color would be a good upgrade. Best to consider grouping wheels/tires with suspension upgrades to see the biggest impact.

I didn't see subframe connectors on the list. They are a must for a vert IMO so I'd do that sooner than later unless you already have them.

I also didn't see audio upgrades on the list. I don't know how much you enjoy listening to music but there are many nice options that are easy to install.

sweetbmxrider 06-04-2018 10:11 AM

ls1/t56 swap :nod:

Headers means motor mounts

ThoR294 06-04-2018 10:18 AM

ls1 swap isn't worth it. if you're gonna do a full engine swap, do an LQ engine or something better ;)

t56 makes the car 100x more enjoyable when its in stockish power. Also, 17" chrome WS6 wheels are way better than 16s. I do like the C5Z wheels on camaros too.

First though I'd ditch those silly headlight covers and do BLS lights.

unstable bob gable 06-04-2018 11:04 AM

I've become a fan of factory wheels, especially if you can fit big fat tyres on them. And a T56 would be a perfect addition to make it a Highway Star.

Anti_Rice_Guy 06-04-2018 11:45 AM

Actually kinda surprised that everyone agreed T56 first. That was my thinking - or suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 947926)
ls1 swap isn't worth it. if you're gonna do a full engine swap, do an LQ engine or something better ;)

t56 makes the car 100x more enjoyable when its in stockish power. Also, 17" chrome WS6 wheels are way better than 16s. I do like the C5Z wheels on camaros too.

First though I'd ditch those silly headlight covers and do BLS lights.

Engine swap is not in the cards, sir. Headlights are already on BLS's to do list - done deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 947924)
+1 on trans swap for the biggest "attitude" change.

During that time, likely best to do headers since you will have a number of parts out of the way.

As for wheels, getting a good set of 17" wheels these days is not hard if you wait for the right set. 18" wheels are nice but the tires are significantly more expensive. ZR1s stripped and powdercoated a nice color would be a good upgrade. Best to consider grouping wheels/tires with suspension upgrades to see the biggest impact.

I didn't see subframe connectors on the list. They are a must for a vert IMO so I'd do that sooner than later unless you already have them.

I also didn't see audio upgrades on the list. I don't know how much you enjoy listening to music but there are many nice options that are easy to install.

I obviously have the time to wait for the right set :wink:. I really like chrome on the car, and wouldn't be sure which color to powdercoat.

I already have UMI 3 pt weld in SFCs so I'm covered. Did that a few years back. I agree should be the first thing done to any of these cars, now that it's done.

It has an older, but upgraded headunit, speakers, and 10"x15" amp in the trunk. To be honest, outside of highway drives I don't really have the radio on. Benefits of living in no man's land :nod:

ThoR294 06-04-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy (Post 947929)
Actually kinda surprised that everyone agreed T56 first. That was my thinking - or suspension.

lol. no one likes a slow slush box. if it is a manual it is way more fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy (Post 947929)
Engine swap is not in the cards, sir. Headlights are already on BLS's to do list - done deal.

I figured, just putting it out there. and I mean put them to #1 on the list ;)

ar0ck 06-04-2018 11:54 AM

Man, you need to stop by my parents and take some parts, I have T56 pedals, tubular LCA's, headers & y-pipe & probably some other parts laying around. What about swapping out the front and side signals to a smoked set?

qwikz28 06-04-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 947926)
ls1 swap isn't worth it.

Why is this man not banned yet?

sweetbmxrider 06-04-2018 02:23 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ThoR294 06-04-2018 03:09 PM

Because the LQ is a better option?

LS1ow 06-04-2018 04:27 PM

Just cut to the chase and live your dream.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ous-camaro.jpg

wretched73 06-04-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 947942)
Because the LQ is a better option?

PERMA BAN

Alum block or bust if doing an LSX swap with no boost

ThoR294 06-04-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 947945)

img

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 947946)
PERMA BAN

Alum block or bust if doing an LSX swap with no boost

LQ can do pretty gud N/A. I just like the ability to boost with stock internals. :nod:

It's fun watching the junkyard builds, but eh. all depends on yer wallet

IROCZman15 06-04-2018 10:25 PM

cool plans nick. good that you have SFCs. I agree that you could change the look/feel/fun of the car with a 1" drop and some struts/shocks. you might not have the $ for a whole bunch of adjustbale/tubular suspension parts, but with the age of the bushings on the car, might be worth looking into non adjustable basic tube parts with greasable bushings. with a 1" rear drop, you proooobably wont need to re-center the rear so you probably dont need an adjustable panhard bar.

t56 swa would be cool. unsure of how much that could cost though.

Jersey Mike 06-05-2018 05:05 AM

T56 will be your most drastic difference-maker. If you're starting to get bored of the car, then you should do that swap next.

Cost ceiling is in your own control (based on what components you decide to purchase), but figure 2k will get you in the door.

Trans > headers > suspension > wheels. That's how I think you should order them

qwikz28 06-05-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 947945)

img

OMG HAHAHAHAHA.

Post of the year right here.

ThoR294 06-05-2018 08:29 PM

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...nsmission.html

there you go! and local(ish)

sweetbmxrider 06-05-2018 08:55 PM

I'd honestly weigh out the investments here and consider another car that is stick and/or lightly modded already. Just to get a perspective with the dollar expense in mind.

ThoR294 06-05-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 947968)
I'd honestly weigh out the investments here and consider another car that is stick and/or lightly modded already. Just to get a perspective with the dollar expense in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy (Post 947922)
I plan on keeping the car since 1) it's paid for and 2) everyone regrets selling their "first car" or a vehicle that's been in the family for nearly 20 years.

$$$ no object here brah! unless the car gets totaled or something.

sweetbmxrider 06-06-2018 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 947970)
$$$ no object here brah! unless the car gets totaled or something.

Money no object? Buy a new car :nod:

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/...580833040.html

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto...608475456.html

TaKid455 06-06-2018 08:33 AM

Agree with others in the T56 will change the car's personality. Do the SFCs & headers while you are at it.

Cost wise, it'll be about the same as buying one already equipped for new stuff. Sourcing 2nd hand parts would be your best economical bet if they are not trashed. I would have the trans gone through and updated if going second hand. The ECU wiring will / may need to be repined for the trans. It does on the LS (411) ecus. No a big ordeal if you have the parts and tools.

If you need assistance, I may know a guy.

ThoR294 06-06-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 947981)

I 100% agree way easier than swapping a transmission haha but hes attached!

Anti_Rice_Guy 06-08-2018 07:21 PM

I've been toying with the idea of the 6 spd swap for a while since like Adam said you can buy a whole new car.
Buying a 15-20 year old car is a gamble. I know the history of this car an exactly the condition it's in. That's worth something vs. trading it for a different 20 year old car of mystery happenings. Considering my multitude of hobbies + a house I don't have the budget for an uber clean one or a new one.

The suspension is maintenance at this point in my eyes, so it really comes down to is that piece of mind worth it to trans swap. If I don't trans swap it, I'm selling it for something else. That's why I was shopping for opinions.

Aside from any sentimental value.