NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Big charging problem (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47828)

sekret agent 11-02-2009 05:50 PM

Big charging problem

ok so i just finished putting my engine back together and i turned the car on and let it idle for about 20 mins. but the battery quickly drains and after driving the car about 100 yards it died. i just put the battery on a charger and im gunna leave it for a few hours but i think it could be the alternator. any ideas?

//<86TA>\\ 11-02-2009 06:11 PM

sounds like the alt is not working. Could be a wiring issue, alt could be connect improperly

WildBillyT 11-02-2009 08:05 PM

Definetly sounds alternator related.

sekret agent 11-02-2009 08:07 PM

ok well if its alt related then would you know where i could pick up a new or more powerful one?

Tru2Chevy 11-02-2009 10:04 PM

Double check all of your wiring connections, and try again once the battery is charged. If you still have trouble, get the alternator tested at your local parts shop - many of them can do this.

- Justin

NastyEllEssWon 11-03-2009 06:23 AM

make sure you get a battery that you know has a nice good charge and put the leads from a volt meter on the terminals while the car is running....a good charging alt should charge from 13.5-14.3 volts. if its significantly less then check the connections to the alt...if its all hooked up properly then replace the alt.

dont get a bigger one either...its a big pita to get it in. dropping the front sway is easy but its unnecessary with a regular sized alt

sekret agent 11-03-2009 05:28 PM

so then should i just get another stock one from a Chevy dealership?

NastyEllEssWon 11-03-2009 06:08 PM

get a duracrap drom autozone. those seem to work fine and have a nice warranty.

emolineaux 11-03-2009 08:37 PM

i had a charging problem with my 98 and it ended up being the 1 wire plug having a break in it.

NastyEllEssWon 11-03-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emolineaux (Post 650591)
i had a charging problem with my 98 and it ended up being the 1 wire plug having a break in it.

shyeaaah thats why i said to check his connections first :D

S.J.SLEEPER 11-03-2009 11:26 PM

ummmmm did it work before you removed/replaced the motor?
if so , you have a wiring issue.

NastyEllEssWon 11-04-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 650656)
ummmmm did it work before you removed/replaced the motor?
if so , you have a wiring issue.

not so. sometimes fluids get spilled while doing swaps and beings the location of the alternator its very likely to have been burnt out from the fluid. happened twice so far on swaps ive been involved with

sekret agent 11-04-2009 01:24 AM

well i think it might have been on its way out before i took the heads off but i didnt touch it or any wires that go to it the entire time. it did get some fluids in it tho. im going to check the connections and wires tomorrow but i have a feeling im gunna need a new one any way.

S.J.SLEEPER 11-04-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon (Post 650675)
sometimes fluids get spilled while doing swaps
happened twice so far on swaps ive been involved with

f*****n backyard mechanics
you think you would have learned the first time !
proper tools & proper removal of parts/motor and that doesn't happen

coolant vice grips (to clamp off hoses to reduce spills)

a fluid sucker to remove fluid out

drain pan to empty fluids into

funnels for filling fluids up (ie: use on power steering so you don't fill up your alternator):mrgreen:

bobbyn362 11-04-2009 08:40 AM

i have a alternator ill give you. if you feel like picking it up. i had the same problem so i bought a new one and it was that single wire that broke under the sheathing

NastyEllEssWon 11-04-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER (Post 650687)
f*****n backyard mechanics
you think you would have learned the first time !
proper tools & proper removal of parts/motor and that doesn't happen

coolant vice grips (to clamp off hoses to reduce spills)

a fluid sucker to remove fluid out

drain pan to empty fluids into

funnels for filling fluids up (ie: use on power steering so you don't fill up your alternator):mrgreen:

pssshhh your trying to tell me...its just in a super vulnerable spot. not to mention that the reservoirs and pumps on the ls' like to leak on the alt eventually anyway. plus theres always a few other people working on the car with you...so its usually a 1 in 3 or 4 shot as to who spilled what :D

sekret agent 11-04-2009 04:33 PM

the previous own had cut the plug to the wiring harness. So basicly it is just connected to the battery. There is a lone green wire that seem to go to nothing just chilling out. It appears to come from the wire harness. Need to get this solved so I can take my car to get tuned.

NastyEllEssWon 11-04-2009 05:01 PM

time to start looking around

sekret agent 11-04-2009 11:52 PM

found it! the problem has been solved :) now i just need a new IACV and i should be all set.

Tru2Chevy 11-07-2009 09:57 PM

What was the problem?

- Justin