NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Sandblasting dangers: Silicosis (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68176)

sweetbmxrider 11-07-2017 07:45 AM

Sandblasting dangers: Silicosis

Do you have an scba if you do sand blast yourself? Silica is very bad, if you didn't know.

PolarBear 11-07-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 944239)
Do you have an scba if you do sand blast yourself? Silica is very bad, if you didn't know.

That's why I said playground sand, it's non silica. I have a half and full face respirator, no scba, it's not needed :wink:

WildBillyT 11-07-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944241)
That's why I said playground sand, it's non silica. I have a half and full face respirator, no scba, it's not needed :wink:

Not exactly true. Some brands of play sand have silica. Do a quick google search before you buy and spray. Oh, and if you don't already, sift it through window screen and it won't jam the nozzle as often.

sweetbmxrider 11-07-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944241)

Got ya, I see you can buy silica free and you know its bad. ****'s the new asbestos.....

PolarBear 11-07-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 944243)
Not exactly true. Some brands of play sand have silica. Do a quick google search before you buy and spray. Oh, and if you don't already, sift it through window screen and it won't jam the nozzle as often.

Oh WTF, the nerve of some people. Kids can inadvertently eat/breathe that in. I thought that "playground" meant non-silica :cry: Thanks for the heads up
I have a sifting screen already since I have the blasting cabinet. I re-screen the stuff that comes out of the vacuum and hopper before I put it in. I actually think I need to buy another pickup and gun for the cabinet. Last time I used it, it wasn't working properly even though I have gotten the Northern tool "upgrade" setup for it, and I need new nozzles anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 944244)
Got ya, I see you can buy silica free and you know its bad. ****'s the new asbestos.....

Well, now I will definitely be wearing my full face respirator if/when I do it.

BonzoHansen 11-07-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944246)
Oh WTF, the nerve of some people. Kids can inadvertently eat/breathe that in. I thought that "playground" meant non-silica :cry: Thanks for the heads up

kids don't breathe airborne blast dust when they play in a sand box. kinda like asbestos does't hurt you when its around a pipe or on the side of a house. play sand is generally just 'cleaned' sand. silicosis is a bitch.

PolarBear 11-07-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 944248)
kids don't breathe airborne blast dust when they play in a sand box. kinda like asbestos does't hurt you when its around a pipe or on the side of a house. play sand is generally just 'cleaned' sand. silicosis is a bitch.

So the kids just hover about over the sand? They don't pick it up and pour it or fall in it? :bertstare:

Anti_Rice_Guy 11-07-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 944244)

+1. OSHA just released finally the new regulations and they're now live.

BonzoHansen 11-07-2017 09:20 AM

smh. picture beach sand. its damp, it isn't being blasted at high psi and broken into dust. you aren't breathing in dust clouds

WildBillyT 11-07-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 944249)
So the kids just hover about over the sand? They don't pick it up and pour it or fall in it? :bertstare:

I think it's the particle size and dust in the air that's the biggest issue. Breathing it in to your lungs.

Or if you make too much noise

https://manyworldstheory.files.wordp...-sand-worm.jpg

PolarBear 11-07-2017 09:27 AM

Because sand never dries out, and there is never any dust when kids play.

Right from Quickcrete
Quote:

QUIKRETE® Playsand is not silica free. It is a natural sand – the same as you find on the beach, at lakes and in river beds. QUIKRETE® Play Sand, and practically all other natural sands in the world, including beach, lake and river sand, contain a portion of silica sand. QUIKRETE® Play Sand is safe – it is intended for use primarily in sand boxes. We recommend that dust be controlled by keeping the sand slightly damp, since fine dust of any kind can be mildly irritating
They recommend keeping the dust down with water, SMDH. So there is a risk of people breathing the dust, or they wouldn't mention water at all. You know baby powder used to be "safe" too, until women started getting cancer from it. Smoking was considered safe too, but that's none of my business :bertstare:

The_Bishop 11-07-2017 11:54 AM

Silicosis doesn't just mean silica. Sand is tiny, tiny rocks. When you use it to blast something you make them even tinier *and* airborne. Then you inhale those tiny, tiny, tiny rocks where they migrate into your lungs.

How is this an issue? Well, take a spoon of sand and dump it into a glass of water. Now stir it until it dissolves.

While you're there stirring away for the next 135.65 years, I'll just stop you now and explain that it never (well, never meaning the scale of time as long as you're alive) dissolves. Your body can't get rid of it so it hangs around in your lungs and does horrible things to them.

At the minimum, HEPA level filtration on the mask. Ideally you want a pressurized breathing apparatus to insure that you're not inadvertently sucking any wayward micro-rocks into your lungs.

sweetbmxrider 11-08-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy (Post 944250)
+1. OSHA just released finally the new regulations and they're now live.

Oh yeah? That's great to hear. We have been learning about it in school and how NJ has its own law protecting against silicosis.

The_Bishop 11-08-2017 03:40 PM

Well, they passed a law against Silicosis! So no worries, now right? Since it's illegal?

sweetbmxrider 11-09-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 944317)
Well, they passed a law against Silicosis! So no worries, now right? Since it's illegal?

I see hepa filters and wet saws on the job sites now so its a push in the right direction. If someone is breaking the law, a call to osha and that contractor is in some ****. Being educated is good though. Gets you to stop and think before proceeding.

LTb1ow 11-09-2017 10:38 AM

Lab tech at the one test house, jokingly told me after spending a while in the chamber that sand was bad for my lungs. Thanks buddy!

:bertstare:

Sand and dust are nasty crap.