NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   That black strip in between t tops (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8923)

casketcrewchick 01-24-2005 06:09 AM

That black strip in between t tops

Hey,
Mine is sorta fading a bluish color... like its going to turn blue. It is kept outside unfortunately. Think if i painted it silver like my car it would look retarded? I am probably just going to do black... but anyways any thoughts on silver?

Oh and my passenger side t top is leaking. Anyone use clear silicone? It worked for a while but looked like hell when i took the top off.... basically the right side top looks all messed up with foam weather stripping and silicone gunked on it. Might have to leave it to stop the damn leaking. LOL

HardcoreZ28 01-24-2005 07:52 AM

If your car is silver it might look ok. I've never seen anyone do it another color besides black. Your best bet for fixing your leak is sucking it up and replacing all of the t-top weatherstripping. Even then you might get the occasional leak when you wash the car, but I haven't had rain get into mine since then.

Untamed 01-24-2005 08:59 AM

I'll be doing the same thing to mine after I have it painted. Replacing weather stripping all over after a new paint job is always wise.

From what I've read, replacing the stripping isn't too difficult if you slow down and pay attention to what you are doing. Thirdgen.org has a few good stories about it. You can purchase kits from many different places, from focused kits like the t-tops, to the entire car for under $200. If you plan to paint it anyway, scrape all of it off just before you take it in to be painted. Just be sure to do that when its warm and dry. :)

ar0ck 01-24-2005 10:04 AM

If they are leaking and look like they need replacing; I would defenitly just go ahead and buy new weather stripping. Â*It honestly is not worth patching up multiple times when you can get it done with and 10x's better. Â*That I think happens alot with owners and they do a ghetto patch up job which screws up some of the secand hand owners that may purchase it down the road.

I bought my stripping from the local Pontiac dealer, big mistake. Â*Go to a 3rd gen specific website for it, its usually ALOT cheaper. Â*The job alone can only really take up to a whole day. Â*Just be patient and properly prep the area.

And personally I would paint the insert a nice clean flat black. Â*It looks clean, when you have "black" t-tops and black weather stripping why offset the color in the middle?

camaro2you 01-24-2005 03:58 PM

ya i would replace them i forget the name of the place i used for door weatherstrip but its guarented for 15 years

casketcrewchick 01-24-2005 05:56 PM

Perhaps I will photoshop it. As far as the leaking top, I will probably just purchase some new weatherstripping... I mean all that money I had put into the car (exhaust times 2, system, stripes...), this wont really be a big expense. lol

Tru2Chevy 01-24-2005 05:57 PM

Not sure how the silver would look.....get a pic of it, and ask for a photoshop...we have a few here that are quite good at it.

As far as the weatherstriping goes, I would spend a few extra bucks to get new stuff if yours is leaking. The previous owner of my car was a smoker, and he burned up a lot of the driver side door weatherstripping, and repaired with either clear silicon or hot glue, I'm not sure which. Lucky for my it doesn't leak.

- Justin