NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   As Legend Says, the Phoenix Shall Arise from the Ashes (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59767)

Jersey Mike 04-21-2012 04:11 PM

As Legend Says, the Phoenix Shall Arise from the Ashes

As most of you know, the Trans Am took a fatal hit last weekend.

It sucks, but I'm blessed with, first, myself & my girlfriend's health, and second, a great community of car-enthusiast who have stepped up in a big way for me since the incident.

**...I owe a lot of thanks to you guys; Text messages, visits, tear down help, roller acquisition, and part support. I'm proud to call a lot of you guys my friends. **

You see, Erica was an organ donor. And as surgery is in her future, I - regrettably - have to impose on you guys one more time. Right after the accident, someone told me, "The death of one is the birth of another." Well, I've acquired a V6 Firebird to replace the T/A with. But, I need help...

What: Drivetrain swap from TA into V6 'Bird.
Why: Cold beer and food (BBQ? Pizza, Subs?)
When: Saturday, April 28th.
Where: Oakland, NJ 07436
How: By the grace of God. And a lot o NJFBOA hands on deck.
Who: Bueller...? Bueller?

Here's a brief list of people I know will be there already, but I'd like to piggy-back off the other thread, and find out who's in to come lend a hand and turn some wrenches during this shet-show.

Headcount:
  1. Jersey Mike
  2. MyFirstZ
  3. ZuuhlsTA
  4. Ls1ow
  5. LT1_8u
  6. Creeper
  7. .
  8. .
  9. .
  10. .

Please post here if you can come by on Saturday to help. It's 2 k-members that need to be dropped (I'll have two cherry-pickers), and 1 that needs to be re-installed. Hence, a large turnout would be amazing.

Thanks for getting this far down.

LTb1ow 04-21-2012 04:29 PM

Will there be air available for air tools,and or, will there be tools. Finally, will there be tequilla?

Jersey Mike 04-21-2012 04:34 PM

I don't have a compressor.

I'll have tools, but it probably wouldn't hurt to bring your own small box of basics.

Tequila can be arranged.

*edit*
I thought I put this in the Lounge? Mod move?

LTb1ow 04-21-2012 04:42 PM

Lounge is lame.

Blackbirdws6 04-21-2012 05:11 PM

Depending on how this week goes, I may be able to re-certify my ARP wedding band.

sweetbmxrider 04-21-2012 05:24 PM

Can I just steal both cars and do it myself down here?

MyFirstZ 04-21-2012 05:52 PM

Mike I just realized I cant come till after work but Il be there

L695speed 04-21-2012 06:36 PM

I just heard about the wreck, glad to hear you're alright. I may be down to help. I have Friday nights off (I help run papers for the Herald up here in Sussex County) so I should be able to get over there and lend a hand. As long as I get back to be able to do Sunday's paper (though my friend will run it solo without me if he needs to). Would be good to meet some new people and say hello to some older faces I met at some point or another. People have offered to help me if they could and if I set something up. Might as well return the favor to others as its the right thing to do.

Question though, is the trans an auto to auto swap, auto to stick stick to auto or what?

I have a few things that may be of use since you say you don't have a compressor.

LTb1ow 04-21-2012 06:43 PM

I can bring my compressor if Adam wants to bring a gun.

And another vote for towing the two dead birds to Pal Perf LLC.

townsend 04-21-2012 06:51 PM

if you get miller light ill bring my expert fat kid in skinny spaces self and help out. need practice for my motor swap

zuuhlsT/A 04-21-2012 07:15 PM

You know I'm in. Might drop off "Ruby" the donor car tomorrow. Hope the trans holds together......

zuuhlsT/A 04-21-2012 07:17 PM

I gotta compressor if you need it with a 3/8" air ratchet and 1/2" gun . Got Dewalt Electric 1/2" gun also

LS1ow 04-21-2012 08:26 PM

u forgot to put james on the list.

BigAls87Z28 04-21-2012 08:55 PM

At this point, I have not a ****ing clue what my Saturday looks like, but I probably won't be around till later.

qwikz28 04-21-2012 10:54 PM

If it spills over into next week, I'll be there. Got a big final Monday. Perhaps I'll stop by for an hour or two on my way to my buddies place, though.

Are any tools needed? I have a cheap pancake compressor and a Craftsman Corded impact wrench, among other things. Jack stands?

shadowfire 04-22-2012 04:12 AM

hey mike i dont know if you would be interested but...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...t_16371wt_1162.

greenformula92 04-22-2012 09:41 AM

hmm this is a fairly straight forward swap. if it gets started early enough you might be running come saturday night lol

creeper 04-22-2012 09:48 AM

I have work at 3:30 so I'll swing by in the morning

L695speed 04-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenformula92 (Post 826357)
hmm this is a fairly straight forward swap. if it gets started early enough you might be running come saturday night lol

Wiring harness issues in there? Otherwise I bet you're right.

Edit, realized could just unplug at the firewall. And would swap the computer too. (Price of not thinking straight when sick....)
So disregard. Easily done in a day with enough people. Depends more on how much we mess around.

coolmanvette75 04-22-2012 08:56 PM

Yea I should be arround Saturday morning/afternoon for teardown shenz

Phoenixfire1989 04-23-2012 12:00 AM

sorry to hear mike =(

donnj 04-23-2012 05:45 AM

hey Mike, me and Jeff will be there bright and early, provided we dont have to work

Jersey Mike 04-23-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the support, guys! Don, it's a shame you never got to see the "finished" product with your wheels on them :( (Two of them are trashed).

Since this is a '00 to a '95 swap, pretty much everything will be swapped over (drivetrain, PCM, fuel tank, brake lines, gauge cluster, AC, everything to clone my '00).

I'm compiling a list of tools, to make sure I'm not shorthanded come swap time. If you guys can add to this list, that would be great:[*]
  • Strut Tower Brace -- (Do not have)
  • Metric socket set -- (How many sets?)
  • 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets -- (How many sets?)
  • Breaker bars
  • Torch
  • PB Blaster
  • 2 - Dollies
  • Jack (How many?)
  • 8x Jackstands
  • Fuel Line Disconnect tool
  • 1/2" DeWalt Electric Impact
  • Vise Grips, Channel Locks, and Assorted Pliers
  • Assorted screwdrivers
  • Torx bits?
  • 5 Gallon Buckets for fluids (How many? 2?)
  • Swivels?
  • Assorted Extensions
  • 2x Cherry Pickers & Chains
  • Pry bars

V 04-23-2012 10:07 AM

I have no idea what my Saturday plans are, but I shall try to show up.

We are all just glad you and the gf are doing good.

Also, I have a bunch of parts so if you need something in a pinch, I'll see what I can help with.

sweetbmxrider 04-23-2012 10:20 AM

Its 3/8ths and 5/16ths fuel line disconnect tools. PB Blaster everything every day. Sawzall might come in handy and/or cutoff wheel. Standard and metric wrenches would be nice, I assume you just forgot to mention them. Flare wrenches in assorted sizes both metric and standard for brake and a/c lines. Some pick tools for disconnecting electrical connectors. Zip ties for all teh things. 1/4" socket set would be nice for interior shens. I dono if kohler goes and swings down here first, will load up all teh things.