NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   T56 retrofitters - reverse lockout (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67913)

PolarBear 07-19-2017 11:37 AM

T56 retrofitters - reverse lockout

Just an FYI for those that have retrofitted a T56 into an older vehicle, there is a module you can buy to make your reverse lockout solenoid function like it would in a factory optioned car. I had a bit of a mis-communication with Hanlon and they sent me one. I didn't open it, but I believe it is only three wire hookup, power, ground and the sensing terminal to the VSS

BonzoHansen 07-19-2017 12:29 PM

This one? https://www.wirebarn.com/T56--TR6060...ule_p_470.html

PolarBear 07-19-2017 12:49 PM

I doesn't look like that, I believe the part Bob sent me is an actual Tremec part, but it probably functions the same. It is pretty small, like the size of a $0.50 piece and only about 1/4" thick

BonzoHansen 07-19-2017 01:27 PM

Lmk how it works, i am interested in using one.

American powertrain just came out with one but its a whole harness including backup lights so thats a bit much and i think pricey

ThoR294 07-19-2017 02:09 PM

That's pretty nice. So does your car have the lockout hooked up or no? :O

PolarBear 07-19-2017 02:20 PM

I don't need it, Bob send it to me because of a mis-communication.

I have the reverse lockout solenoid connected as stock in my 92, but the solenoid wasn't working. I had the power and signal wires backwards, but when I switched them it blew the fuse. In theory, it shouldn't matter which way the wires are connected, but there is a diode in there, kind of like for the AC compressor clutch. I am not positive, but I think it was bad this whole time and the coil was open but the diode was preventing "reverse" voltage since the + and - were backwards and with the voltage forward it is almost a dead short.

TaKid455 07-21-2017 12:16 PM

You're over complicating it. Hook it up to the brake light switch. Actually hook it up to the cruise control terminal on the switch. Run a ground. Done.
Odds you will be braking from a 4-5 shift are slim and the 6-5 shift is straight in line.

I've done installs with auxiliary switch and the brake pedal. Both are viable options with the brake light one being the most mindless.

PolarBear 07-21-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaKid455 (Post 940187)
You're over complicating it. Hook it up to the brake light switch. Actually hook it up to the cruise control terminal on the switch. Run a ground. Done.
Odds you will be braking from a 4-5 shift are slim and the 6-5 shift is straight in line.

I've done installs with auxiliary switch and the brake pedal. Both are viable options with the brake light one being the most mindless.

I'm not over complicating anything. Mine works like I have it in a 4th gen f-body.

The brake pedal one is also the wrong way to do it. I've personally seen someone (will be left un-named), that had the RLO hooked up to the brake light switch, zing reverse down-shifting from 6th trying to go to 5th.
Adding a switch is better for sure, but I want it to work like it's supposed to. If I get around to putting the 73 back together I will definitely run one of these boxes. If it's worth doing, it worth doing right.

redsoxsstink 07-21-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaKid455 (Post 940187)

This is how i did it in my third gen with a lt1 t56. But ive heard (like 2 instances) of fire, who knows if it was directly related or could have been for another reason.

In the 71 the t56 magnums lock out is so light i just manually override and it jam the stick into reverse

Teds89IROC 07-31-2017 10:08 PM

pretty cool that they have something like that. I did my T56 swap back in 08ish, I just wired the RLO to a push button switch on the console. It works fine, but would be nice to eliminate needing two hands to go into to reverse

PolarBear 08-01-2017 07:02 AM

I forgot to take a picture before I sent it back. It was not a Tremec piece, but if Bob sells it, must be pretty reliable.
I was wrong about hooking it up, there were 4 wires, power, ground, VSS and one to operate the solenoid. You connected the power to the unit and to one side of the RLO, and one side of the VSS went to ground.
It was a little thicker than I posted, but the footprint was only about the size of a fifty cent piece, so it was fairly small.