NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   In Car Entertainment (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Fuses keep blowing.. (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60040)

Italian Stallion 05-12-2012 12:30 AM

Fuses keep blowing..

So i finally ran my subs today and got everything hooked up except i ran my remote wire to the fuse box.. I thought everything was okay untill tonight when my gauge lights just shut off, i was then told my tail lights didnt come on either, and sure enough i had blown fuses, i tried replacing them but as soon as i did they blown instantly. Maybe my ground isnt good enough? Any ideas..

MyFirstZ 05-12-2012 01:01 AM

When you blow fuses like that you have a shortes circuit in ky experience

deadtrend1 05-12-2012 07:00 AM

Your running the blue remote wire to the fuse box? If so .... Why?

sweetbmxrider 05-12-2012 08:24 AM

Most likely one of your wire leads is rubbed through and grounding out aka its touching the body or metal somewhere. Might want to pull the radio and check there. You usually can hook the amp turn on to the power antenna wire so long as it goes up when the headunit is on.

WildBillyT 05-12-2012 09:22 AM

Go back over your connections for sure. Where did you tap into for your power, etc? Under the hood?

Italian Stallion 05-12-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 831105)
Go back over your connections for sure. Where did you tap into for your power, etc? Under the hood?

Power wire is under the hood, ground is to the bolt by back seat seatbelt.

Italian Stallion 05-12-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyFirstZ (Post 831050)
When you blow fuses like that you have a shortes circuit in ky experience

Im gunna check it all out again

V 05-12-2012 02:15 PM

where in the fuse box did you connect it?

a short in the battery cable to amp or its ground wouldn't cause the remote source to short BUT if the load of the remote circuit is too much it will overload the fused circuit. is radio stock?

Italian Stallion 05-12-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 831182)

a short in the battery cable to amp or its ground wouldn't cause the remote source to short BUT if the load of the remote circuit is too much it will overload the fused circuit. is radio stock?

Ran it to the radio fuse, and no its a kentwood flip up monitor.

WildBillyT 05-12-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 831182)

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Blowing fuses because of overload.

V 05-12-2012 11:21 PM

First off, run the remote turn-on to the radio, like it's designed to be. The kenwood will have a wire specifically for it.

Second, if you ever want to run power from the fuse box, the ONLY terminal safe to tap into are the ones labeled "Batt"(for full time power), or "IGN" for ignition activated. Any other circuit is designed only to handle a certain amp draw, anything extra can and usually does affect it negatively.

Once you have the fuse box unmolested, and free of splices, then and only then can you begin to properly diagnose or trace any short. Check to see if you pinched or penetrated any wires in the drivers side harness that runs along the side of the car to the rear while you were doing the install.

greenformula92 05-13-2012 09:14 AM

Yeah I agree 100% with V. I had a cheap kenwood not all that long ago and it had a seperate connection just for the remote turn on for the amp. the fuse box thing is a think of the past for the very reason you are experiencing. your just over loading the fuse box