NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I can't stand it.....Magnaflow is in! (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49887)

Mark42 02-26-2010 08:04 PM

I can't stand it.....Magnaflow is in!

Looking at the Magnaflow cat back sitting in a box and not on my car. Tomorrow I'm going to install it. Weather forcast is for high 30's but I'm ready to weather the cold for the sake of performance. :mrgreen:

WildBillyT 02-26-2010 08:54 PM

Start putting penetrating oil on the bolts now :D

Mark42 02-26-2010 09:06 PM

I hope it comes apart easy. I see there is a band clamp where the I pipe connects to the cat instead of the traditional U bolt. Hopefully, that will come apart easy. Then the rest will be a snap.

LTb1ow 02-26-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark42 (Post 684956)
I hope it comes apart easy. I see there is a band clamp where the I pipe connects to the cat instead of the traditional U bolt. Hopefully, that will come apart easy. Then the rest will be a snap.

:rofl::rofl: Riiiightttt.

Well good luck Mark!

You gonna polish the new catback up? :mrgreen:

MyFirstZ 02-26-2010 09:45 PM

i have been spoiled by lifts i cant work on my back any more

mc73nova 02-26-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyFirstZ (Post 684961)
i have been spoiled by lifts i cant work on my back any more

I dont think its spoiled, I think it just gets to a point where you just need a lift! We have had ours for 3 or 4 years now, its was the best money we spent as car owners.

Wolfblitz 02-27-2010 12:16 AM

Mmmmm, rusty flange bolts and cold weather......

Firebird92 02-27-2010 12:44 AM

knuckle bustin fun

andy78TA 02-27-2010 01:27 AM

I know your pain. I have a header back exhaust system waiting patiently in a box in my living room and my car is still in pieces. I have to wait until spring break though :( . Good luck tomorrow...well today

crazyblazer87 02-27-2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark42 (Post 684956)
Hopefully, that will come apart easy. Then the rest will be a snap.

Famous last words.

Jersey Mike 02-27-2010 08:21 AM

Yeah, 12 year old bolts on a New Jersey car. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. We broke 1 wrench and also managed to strip one of the I-pipe bolts; finally just cut the damn thing off and called it a day.

GrandmasterCow 02-27-2010 08:44 AM

what part nj u from mark ?

Wolfblitz 02-27-2010 09:13 AM

Cracked 2 sockets, and twisted a ratchet. Ended up just cutting and welding.

Mark42 02-27-2010 09:58 AM

Oh, now I know you guys are full of it! :mrgreen:

Jacked up the car, took a 15 mm to the I pipe connector, and it came right off. Went to back, unbolted the two metal hanger brackets from the frame, and exhaust is down and ready to cut in two to remove from under the car. Took all of 20 minutes.

I Knew you were making this out to be harder than it was just to bust my chops.

Have to get the kids ready to go to a Birthday party, but when I get back, I should be able to finish and have some pics to show.

You guys kill me.....

Mark42 02-27-2010 01:38 PM

It's in. Got to hand it to Magnaflow for making a good system. Bolts right in.

Took it for a drive. Sound is awesome. A little loud for me, but I've had louder, and I'll get used to it.

I didn't like the U bolt pipe clamp that they give for behind the cat. Those tend to crush the pipes and make removing difficult. So I removed the band clamp that was spot welded to the factory I pipe and re-used it.

The other thing is the kit expects you to reuse two rubber hangers. The problem there is the old hanger are stretched out, and the two new ones they give are not. So what happens is the old hangers get reused at the back of the system, and that gives the tail pipes a sligh downward tilt. Going to go pick up two new rubber hangers so the system sits level.

All in all, it's a good exhaust with nice sound. After a week or two of driving, the muffler should have the stainless sound packing compressed a little and it will have it's true sound.

From start to finish, about 2 hours.

TheV6Guy 02-27-2010 01:39 PM

oh man.haha. your makin me jelous mark!!haha

WildBillyT 02-27-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark42 (Post 685089)
It's in. Got to hand it to Magnaflow for making a good system. Bolts right in.

Took it for a drive. Sound is awesome. A little loud for me, but I've had louder, and I'll get used to it.

I didn't like the U bolt pipe clamp that they give for behind the cat. Those tend to crush the pipes and make removing difficult. So I removed the band clamp that was spot welded to the factory I pipe and re-used it.

The other thing is the kit expects you to reuse two rubber hangers. The problem there is the old hanger are stretched out, and the two new ones they give are not. So what happens is the old hangers get reused at the back of the system, and that gives the tail pipes a sligh downward tilt. Going to go pick up two new rubber hangers so the system sits level.

All in all, it's a good exhaust with nice sound. After a week or two of driving, the muffler should have the stainless sound packing compressed a little and it will have it's true sound.

From start to finish, about 2 hours.

Glad to hear the install went well! I wasn't joking about the penetrating oil. I've attacked way too many rusty fasteners that I use it on anything that is even mildly orange. Even if something isn't frozen you can still gall threads.

And in case you didn't do this- a dab of anti-sieze on the bolt threads of your system may help you down the road. If you didn't do it you may want to, just in case.

Mark42 02-27-2010 05:14 PM

Magnaflow is in!

Here are a few photos:

Before:

http://shareaproject.com/slideImages/9534.jpg

During:

http://shareaproject.com/slideImages/9539.jpg

After:

http://shareaproject.com/slideImages/9548.jpg

What a great system! Goes in easy, parts fit right, and when its fired up, oh boy, it sounds great! Put about half hour run time on it today, it still sounds nice. It is louder than I expected when accelerating, but I'll get used to that. Quiets out nice when cruising, but you can still hear it.

More details and hi-res photos of the install are here:

Magnaflow Install

One thing I don't like about it is the length of the tail pipes. They just stick out too far, and don't look like something Pontiac would have done. Will probably end up cutting 2" off the ends of the tail pipes to bring them in a bit, and get shorter rubber hangers for the rear to raise the tail pipes about 1.5 ".

LTb1ow 02-27-2010 05:31 PM

Nice work Mark!

Mark42 02-27-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTs1ow (Post 685143)
Nice work Mark!

Thanks! That was a lot easier than I thought. Even with swapping the OEM band clamp onto the Magnaflow I pipe only took a few minutes.

It does sound great. Makes the V6 growl instead of scream.

FlyingDutchman 02-27-2010 06:43 PM

Looks awesome! Magnaflow was a good choice :nod:

Mike 02-27-2010 11:58 PM

nice work.....will look great tucked up to the bumper a little higher too...

ever think of investing in a higher quality jack? you seem to be getting into some decent projects and might want to upgrade some of your equipment as well

andy78TA 02-28-2010 02:10 AM

Congrats on the install, I hope mine goes as well next week. I already cut the old exhaust off months ago though and have new headers to hook everything on to. Im sure I'll still hit some glitch ha

deadtrend1 02-28-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark42 (Post 685046)

I Knew you were making this out to be harder than it was just to bust my chops.

You guys kill me.....

no, they weren't busting your chops really. A lot of times pre soaking everything like Bill said makes removal a lot easier.

I used oil, heat, impacts, breaker bars, until i snap bolts get fed up and cut it.

deadtrend1 02-28-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrrmike (Post 685213)
nice work.....will look great tucked up to the bumper a little higher too...

ever think of investing in a higher quality jack? you seem to be getting into some decent projects and might want to upgrade some of your equipment as well

:werd:

Congrats. Magnaflow was about the easiest catback I ever delt with. Doesn't take much effort to install them anymore.