NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gas Lines: Rubber Vs. PTFE (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68685)

LTb1ow 12-10-2018 07:59 PM

Gas Lines: Rubber Vs. PTFE

Planning on redoing fuel lines this winter, and had originally planned on rubber braided stuff but seems like PTFE is better (and pricier).

Car is non E85.

Anyone have experience with either, and what would you recommend?

wretched73 12-10-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 950662)
Planning on redoing fuel lines this winter, and had originally planned on rubber braided stuff but seems like PTFE is better (and pricier).

Car is non E85.

Anyone have experience with either, and what would you recommend?

PTFE. Just in case E85 becomes readily available.

I helped another friend do PTFE lines on his circle track race car because he runs methanol. They are not worse to do than rubber.

LTb1ow 12-10-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 950663)
PTFE. Just in case E85 becomes readily available.

I helped another friend do PTFE lines on his circle track race car because he runs methanol. They are not worse to do than rubber.

I have done both, just wary of the price of doing PTFE.

Currently have rubber lines up front and no overwhelming gas odors so, torn.

wretched73 12-10-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 950664)
I have done both, just wary of the price of doing PTFE.

Currently have rubber lines up front and no overwhelming gas odors so, torn.

I'd do PTFE solely so you have the option to run E85 or straight meth in the future.

PolarBear 12-10-2018 08:25 PM

If you do PTFE you 'll, essentially, never have to change them again where rubber you definitely will after 5+ years unless you drain all the fuel out of them all the time

sweetbmxrider 12-11-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 950666)
If you do PTFE you 'll, essentially, never have to change them again where rubber you definitely will after 5+ years unless you drain all the fuel out of them all the time

Does WOT count as fuel draining?

IROCZman15 12-11-2018 10:54 PM

I would do PTFE. I Did my whole fuel feed and return system just this past winter. It was worth it (for me) to just go all out and do it once and have them be done for good on the car. everything from the tank to meeting up with the fuel rails is PTFE and -AN fittings. -8 feed and -6 return. cost a few hundred dollars because I bought about 4 feet EXTRA of each size of line, extra fittings, extra olives, and some billet clamps to hold both lines together. all from RACETRONIX

I just knew that if I did PTFE it would eliminate me having to go re-do them anytime in the nearby future. I also knew that E85 isn't around us NOW, but that PTFE will be totally fine if it does come up for future use after the engine project is done next winter.

SS Performance 12-12-2018 03:22 PM

PTFE! all pump gas has some ethanol in it.

Once and done in the long run it's worth the extra expense.

LTb1ow 02-04-2019 07:27 PM

So, almost ready to pull the trigger for this winter project.

Question now, my thought was to add another bulkhead fitting to bottom of tank for return line. But, then I got thinking what the "proper" way to return fuel to tank may be.

Any thoughts? Overthinking things again?

wretched73 02-05-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 951106)
So, almost ready to pull the trigger for this winter project.

Question now, my thought was to add another bulkhead fitting to bottom of tank for return line. But, then I got thinking what the "proper" way to return fuel to tank may be.

Any thoughts? Overthinking things again?

I was going to say, have the return enter and dump fuel right on your fuel pump. Buttttt your fuel pump is external so that will be messy. Just dump anywhere in tank

sweetbmxrider 02-05-2019 07:53 AM

Do you need a check valve to prevent fuel backing up into fuel line or fpr is good enough?

LTb1ow 02-05-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 951112)
Do you need a check valve to prevent fuel backing up into fuel line or fpr is good enough?

I don't follow. What do you mean?

wretched73 02-05-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 951112)

the entire fuel system will always have fuel in it, the return line has enough pressure to push fuel into the tank, even if the tank is full and return in at the lowest point

sweetbmxrider 02-05-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 951114)
the entire fuel system will always have fuel in it, the return line has enough pressure to push fuel into the tank, even if the tank is full and return in at the lowest point

I'm curious about the head pressure acting upon the return line especially when the car/pump is off.

LTb1ow 02-05-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 951116)
I'm curious about the head pressure acting upon the return line especially when the car/pump is off.

Yea, and that is something I am thinking of. But, the fuel pump is the same way, feed line while car is off will drain tank if punctured. (not saying thats right but it is what happens with a sumped tank)

My concern with running return line bulkhead up top is I have no way to not spraying fuel in tank and aerotating the crap out of it. Whereas a sump return in theory minimizes that.

Either way tank is coming down, so guess I will come up with something soon

sweetbmxrider 02-05-2019 02:51 PM

Why not put a line in the tank that dumps it on the bottom?

IROCZman15 02-05-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 951119)
Yea, and that is something I am thinking of. But, the fuel pump is the same way, feed line while car is off will drain tank if punctured. (not saying thats right but it is what happens with a sumped tank)

My concern with running return line bulkhead up top is I have no way to not spraying fuel in tank and aerotating the crap out of it. Whereas a sump return in theory minimizes that.

Either way tank is coming down, so guess I will come up with something soon

yes, that was my thought, you wont want to aerate it... runt eh return line so that it terminates as close to the bottom of the fuel tank's floor as possible . less turbulence

LTb1ow 02-06-2019 03:03 PM

More ramblings from a bored imagineer.

I am going to leave a check valve in one line out of top of tank, should be fine leaving the non vented cap on filler neck?

And how far can the fuel pump be from tank? Assuming its lower than sump.

sweetbmxrider 02-06-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 951132)
More ramblings from a bored imagineer.

I am going to leave a check valve in one line out of top of tank, should be fine leaving the non vented cap on filler neck?

And how far can the fuel pump be from tank? Assuming its lower than sump.

Check valve relieving pressure from tank? Yeah, so long as the check valve doesn't need to see 100 psi :rofl::rofl:

Probably best to ask the pump manufacturer.

LTb1ow 03-14-2019 08:04 PM

And PTFE won out, my wallet lost. This is just for the feed, gonna tackle the return after I get this setup.

https://i.imgur.com/8BS1fsKl.jpg

ThoR294 03-15-2019 06:17 AM

good choice

IROCZman15 03-15-2019 06:48 AM

yup, great choice, should be good for a very very long time.

my filter is very much the same. I didn't bother to open it up this year to inspect the element.... wasn't sure that I needed to after only 10 months of use. any idea how often to check/clean/replace these types of filters?

Blackbirdws6 03-15-2019 08:03 AM

Why not all black fittings?

LTb1ow 03-15-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IROCZman15 (Post 951501)
yup, great choice, should be good for a very very long time.

my filter is very much the same. I didn't bother to open it up this year to inspect the element.... wasn't sure that I needed to after only 10 months of use. any idea how often to check/clean/replace these types of filters?

I prob will check/clean once a season, I rarely drive the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 951502)

Sadly the black 90* were back-order only and I was impatient. :lol:

sweetbmxrider 03-15-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 951502)

Agreed. So much disappoint. Ebay, amazon, or jegs coulda hooked you up brah.