NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Beware the main street check point at Etown... (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64824)

r0nin89 04-12-2014 10:16 PM

Beware the main street check point at Etown...

On main street. Go home another way and avoid the middle of town. Im not one to bitch when tickets are given when deserved but theyre being real ********. Obviously theyve still got a stick up their ass about not being able to shut down the track.

Theyre sitting in the santandar bank hiding behind a fence with a couple uniforms up the road radioing in who to flag down. Must have pulled over 6 or 7 cars in 15 mins after they pulled me over.

Tried telling me my non modified LED tails and tinted headlight housings were illegal. Had nothing to say when I politely told him every light on the truck is DOT approved and street legal and I could show him all the stamps if he wanted. Stuck me with a "loud exhaust" ticket. Cant really argue since I dont have an inspection ticket and a ****ing loud exhaust but still beware. Its not worth the headache.

Dudbird113 04-12-2014 10:33 PM

Thats why i take the dirt road directly across from the main entrance. And take the back roads. Manalapan n oldbridge/englishtown cops are d bags

Mike 04-12-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0nin89 (Post 903567)
On main street. Go home another way and avoid the middle of town.Im not one to bitch when tickets are given when deservedbut theyre being real ********. Obviously theyve still got a stick up their ass about not being able to shut down the track.

Theyre sitting in the santandar bank hiding behind a fence with a couple uniforms up the road radioing in who to flag down. Must have pulled over 6 or 7 cars in 15 mins after they pulled me over.

Tried telling me my non modified LED tails and tinted headlight housings were illegal. Had nothing to say when I politely told him every light on the truck is DOT approved and street legal and I could show him all the stamps if he wanted. Stuck me with a "loud exhaust" ticket. Cant really argue since I dont have an inspection ticket and a ****ing loud exhaust but still beware. Its not worth the headache.

:bertstare:

r0nin89 04-13-2014 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 903570)
:bertstare:

Not really bitching about my ticket. In fact I thanked the cop for not giving me an inspection ticket. Just giving a warning. There were plenty of people there they were being ******** too just to chase money. Like I said trying to imply my light were illegal. Im sure he would have written me for it if I hadnt shown I was well aware they were perfectly legal.

Mike 04-13-2014 07:32 AM

Eh. Happens every year on the swap meet weekends

maroman88 04-13-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0nin89 (Post 903567)
Obviously theyve still got a stick up their ass about not being able to shut down the track.

I hope you understand that Officer Joe Blow could give two ****s about what happens with the track, but Officer Joe Blow does have many bosses, aka elected 'officials' and I can guarantee someone asked for enforcement.

Mike 04-13-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman88 (Post 903575)
I hope you understand that Officer Joe Blow could give two ****s about what happens with the track, but Officer Joe Blow does have many bosses, aka elected 'officials' and I can guarantee someone asked for enforcement.

You can't use logic. Cops are "dbags" and just out to get them

BonzoHansen 04-13-2014 08:55 AM

Just a money grab.

The Fixer 04-13-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman88 (Post 903575)

Especially since this is where Christie was heading by removing the "safety" portion of our annual inspection. This leaves it up to the individual towns to make money on illegal HIDs, tinted windows, loud exhausts, etc., depending on how hard they want to enforce the laws. They know a lot of cars will be rolling through town heading to the Swap Meet, so they might as well make some $$ off them!

I know one town near me has been cracking down on motor vehicle offenses - my friend's dad got pulled over a few weeks back for no front plate, and I was stopped for tinted windows right around the same time.

madness410 04-14-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 903576)
You can't use logic. Cops are "dbags" and just out to get them

they also pay their salaries, and they'll have their jobs

Mike 04-14-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madness410 (Post 903588)
they also pay their salaries, and they'll have their jobs

What

LTb1ow 04-14-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 903594)
What

Angry citizens upon being caught doing something illegal, always resort to saying that they as a tax payer pay the cops salaries and somehow that then leads them to think they will have the cop's job.

Logic.

V 04-14-2014 11:00 AM

my last recent run-in with a cop was when one flashed his highbeams at me for going over the speed limit.

for the tax money we pay i demand next time he at least turns around, pulls me over and has the decency to say something to my face. (please sense the sarcasm lol)

sweetbmxrider 04-14-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 903594)
What

He's on your side and I believe that was partly sarcastic though I kinda agree....:-P

Mike 04-14-2014 12:20 PM

The people bitching don't live in the town (solely based on their public location under their name) and hence do not pay the salaries of the pd there

LTb1ow 04-14-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 903600)
The people bitching don't live in the town (solely based on their public location under their name) and hence do not pay the salaries of the pd there

I think you missed the train track switch to just bashing cops in general.

sweetbmxrider 04-14-2014 12:38 PM

:facepalm: Settle down

NJSPEEDER 04-14-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 903578)
Especially since this is where Christie was heading by removing the "safety" portion of our annual inspection. This leaves it up to the individual towns to make money on illegal HIDs, tinted windows, loud exhausts, etc., depending on how hard they want to enforce the laws. They know a lot of cars will be rolling through town heading to the Swap Meet, so they might as well make some $$ off them!

I know one town near me has been cracking down on motor vehicle offenses - my friend's dad got pulled over a few weeks back for no front plate, and I was stopped for tinted windows right around the same time.

I wouldn't go blaming the governor for the removal of the safety inspection. The original budgetary decision was planned to be going a few years without the emissions portion of the inspection process in order to save time and thus the resulting labor costs associated with that portion of the inspection process. In steps the EPA and Fed to save the day by telling the state that if emissions inspections were cut then our federal highway funding would be too.

Last I heard there was some sort of action being pushed by the insurance companies to get back to safety inspections since there was a massive jump in deferred maintenance related accidents.

The key to not getting ticketed for little ticky tack stuff is to know the laws that pertain to your car and modifications, and always be courteous. As the OP stated he advised the officer that the lights had DOT numbers on them and were actually legal.

-Tim

sweetbmxrider 04-14-2014 01:25 PM

Just because something is stamped DOT doesn't mean anything other than the manufacturer stamped it DOT. Get into an accident and try telling the judge about your non-oem equipment or modified oem equipment having DOT stamps. I'm sure he and the prosecuting attorney will have a field day there! Don't forget about the insurance company dropping you and denying any coverage.

NastyEllEssWon 04-14-2014 06:26 PM

i always thought those tickets were the cop being nice for not busting your balls for bigger things like inspection stickers and loud exhausts. i used to complain about NJ cops giving tickets for things like that when letting you off without any points tickets, then I lived in California for 5 years. they hit you with EVERY ticket possible. its insane.

NJSPEEDER 04-14-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 903604)
Just because something is stamped DOT doesn't mean anything other than the manufacturer stamped it DOT. Get into an accident and try telling the judge about your non-oem equipment or modified oem equipment having DOT stamps. I'm sure he and the prosecuting attorney will have a field day there! Don't forget about the insurance company dropping you and denying any coverage.

There are a mountain of cases where having non-oem parts has been made an issue and in every case DOT registered and approved direct replacement or non registry required direct replacement parts were found to be legal and allowable on public highways.

As stated before, the best thing is to know the rules and how they relate to your car.

-Tim

KevinW 04-15-2014 06:46 AM

Just had my daily driver inspected, just two stations, one was the check-in and visual for lights (I assume) and the other was to plug in the OBD, that was it. No emissions check.

LTb1ow 04-15-2014 07:04 AM

OBD2+ emissions is just a plug in check of systems.

Tis a crock.

sweetbmxrider 04-15-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER (Post 903608)
There are a mountain of cases where having non-oem parts has been made an issue and in every case DOT registered and approved direct replacement or non registry required direct replacement parts were found to be legal and allowable on public highways.

As stated before, the best thing is to know the rules and how they relate to your car.

-Tim

So if I make tail lights for my car and put a raised DOT stamp on it, everything is cool? Please, there is no mountain of cases. If someone rear ends me in my camaro with oem tail lights that I tinted, I am ****ed. Anyone can manufacture anything with a DOT marking on them. Its in good faith that it actually does meet DOT criteria. A good blood sucking team of lawyers will destroy you. If the stuff does meet the criteria, then yes you are ok. Assuming everything you buy is DOT approved is not in your best interest.

1320B4U 04-15-2014 07:41 AM

Then as a consumer you would sue the company of the fake 'dot' approved taillights b/c they mislead the consumer/dubious business practices. If it is stamped w/dot and there is paperwork stating this (directions stamped w/dot approval) this would hold up in court. In getting dot approval there should be rigorous tests done to be certified which are available in writing for that specific unit, although you winning that case will be directly related to how much $ you have on fighting this to the end.

Either way if you have something that isn't 100% stock on a vehicle be prepared to potentially be harassed. Its just an opportunity for law enforcement to pull you over. Being polite and courteous goes a long way when talking to the cop.