NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   93-97 Camaro HID kits? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47428)

NjbadSS 10-14-2009 01:54 PM

93-97 Camaro HID kits?

I was wondering how many 93-97 camaro guys had HID lights? I have definitely seen them and they look very sharp, but am having a hard time finding a legit set for my 95. There are ebay sales for them, but no pictures of the lights so I am definitely not ordering them without knowing for sure that they are the correct ones for our cars. If you have them in your camaro, and could let me know where you purchased them, and possibly a picture of them in your car, that would be awesome. Along with this, do they make the bulbs like that for our fog lights? Thanks guys

Tru2Chevy 10-14-2009 04:21 PM

Please, no ebay kits. 99.9% of them are complete garbage.

The only correct way to do an HID swap is to use a retrofit housing that is made for HID bulbs, or to modify your stock housing to accept an HID projector from another vehicle.

- Justin

NjbadSS 10-14-2009 05:57 PM

I kind of figured they were garbage thats why I didn't get involved. My main problem is that I can't seem to find the correct ones for my car. I have seen them several times in the 93-97 cars but either the owners forgot where they bought them from or they purchased the car with them already installed. Thanks for verifying the poor quality of them though Justin!

njcamarokid 10-15-2009 11:38 AM

They have just about banned from internet sales....But the good news is you can get a good kit for pretty cheap now adays. I retrofitted my stock housings and they look good. I've had them for about 4 years now.

They are 9006 bulbs

sweetbmxrider 10-15-2009 12:34 PM

yeah you can do the old sealed beam bulb switch trick. just gotta remove the old bulb thats glued in and throw in the 9006.

you could get hella or piaa projector housings too.

FlyingDutchman 10-15-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcamarokid (Post 644912)
They have just about banned from internet sales....But the good news is you can get a good kit for pretty cheap now adays. I retrofitted my stock housings and they look good. I've had them for about 4 years now.

They are 9006 bulbs

pics?

sweetbmxrider 10-15-2009 12:42 PM

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3435

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...hting-faq.html - post 4 is lt1 camaros

maroman88 10-17-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 644944)

awesome! learned how to do the foglight and highbeam on mod!

FlyingDutchman 11-27-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 644944)

so one of my headlights went out today instead of droppin 50$ on one light i got 2 silverstars 9006 bulbs for 40$ and reused the old housings to make em match, man what a difference compared to stock, thats for the links! 8-)

sweetbmxrider 11-28-2009 10:08 AM

no problem!

MonmouthCtyAntz 12-01-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 644608)
Please, no ebay kits. 99.9% of them are complete garbage.

The only correct way to do an HID swap is to use a retrofit housing that is made for HID bulbs, or to modify your stock housing to accept an HID projector from another vehicle.

- Justin

Buddy has had a set of ebay hids on his camaro for over a year...no problems at all

BonzoHansen 12-01-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

They are 9006 bulbs

9006 is not an HID is it?

V 12-01-2009 09:33 AM

9006 is not the bulb, yet it is the same wiring connections if it were.

sweetbmxrider 12-01-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz (Post 660371)
Buddy has had a set of ebay hids on his camaro for over a year...no problems at all

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif well i guess buddy makes it right then

MonmouthCtyAntz 12-01-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 660398)
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif well i guess buddy makes it right then

No wiseass, what im sayin is for the 60 bucks that he spend there holding up great.

Tru2Chevy 12-01-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

They are 9006 bulbs

Can you post up some pics of your retrofit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz (Post 660371)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz (Post 660456)
No wiseass, what im sayin is for the 60 bucks that he spend there holding up great.

They're still lit - that's great.

Can you take a pic of the beam cutoff and post it up?

- Justin

gotmudnj 12-02-2009 12:06 AM

did anyone see the bmw style light kit on a 3rd gen...i almost mmm...myself their so beautiful. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...hting-faq.html - on that page a 1989 red 3rd gen...looks amazing. i want to do that now lol.

MonmouthCtyAntz 12-02-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 660547)
They're still lit - that's great.

Can you take a pic of the beam cutoff and post it up?

- Justin

Yea ill get right on it as soon as you get a running fbod :wink: ...dont know anything about his beam cutoff but they look as good as they did the day he installed them.

Tru2Chevy 12-02-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz (Post 660925)
dont know anything about his beam cutoff but they look as good as they did the day he installed them.

I'm sure they still look real pretty, but the beam cutoff is what is important to take note of when you install an HID bulb in a housing that is designed for a halogen. The two types of bulbs distribute light in a completely different way, and about 98 times out of 100 the stock type halogen housing will not provide a proper beam cutoff, thus toss a lot of useless light all over the place. This results in a large amount of glare for other drivers on the road, and less usable light for your buddy to see where he is going at night.

- Justin

Slo86Bird 12-02-2009 05:44 PM

i just realized how much i dont really miss this site. bunch or retards.

ebay hids work fine. i have 3 sets of them and my friend has like 5 sets. only problem is on like 2 sets we got the ballasts u had to turn off and back on to turn on. so we r getting new ones.

if u want cheap hid that work good go to here...

http://ddmtuning.com/

jason if u need any answers on anything just text me. i can answer watever u need answered.

Slo86Bird 12-02-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 660928)
I'm sure they still look real pretty, but the beam cutoff is what is important to take note of when you install an HID bulb in a housing that is designed for a halogen. The two types of bulbs distribute light in a completely different way, and about 98 times out of 100 the stock type halogen housing will not provide a proper beam cutoff, thus toss a lot of useless light all over the place. This results in a large amount of glare for other drivers on the road, and less usable light for your buddy to see where he is going at night.

- Justin

as this may be somewhat true, i have put hids in many stock housings and they are fine. yes there is a little scatter but there was scatter with the old lights but u dont notice as much cuz they arent as bright.

there is no "halogen housing" and "hid housing" projectors r best for hids but hids r fine in stock housings. i have hids in my 2nd set of diffewrent housings and im in the process of swapping in a projectors because i can. not cuz the light is better, its just cleaner lines and not much scatter. so if u wanna spend 40 on silverstars or 50 on hids and ur in the air, go hid.

MonmouthCtyAntz 12-02-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 660928)

- Justin

They look good and present no problem to other drivers...He sees fine at night and I see him driving to the shop every morning from a 1/4 mile away (in every season) and there's no glare of any sort....Ebays not half bad if you find the right vendor.

Tru2Chevy 12-02-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86Bird (Post 660933)
there is no "halogen housing" and "hid housing" projectors r best for hids but hids r fine in stock housings. i have hids in my 2nd set of diffewrent housings and im in the process of swapping in a projectors because i can. not cuz the light is better, its just cleaner lines and not much scatter. so if u wanna spend 40 on silverstars or 50 on hids and ur in the air, go hid.

Seriously? There is a difference between a halogen housing and an HID housing - projectors are another story and don't impact the difference between the two. You can have projectors that utilize a halogen bulb, and HIDs that don't use projectors, but you can bet all of the OEM non-projector HIDs are in a housing that was designed around the light patterns of the HID bulb, and not a halogen.

So you are swapping over to projectors for your HIDs to get cleaner lines and reduce "scatter" (aka, glare for oncoming drivers and less usable light for yourself), but you don't expect the lighting to actually improve?

- Justin

sweetbmxrider 12-02-2009 06:24 PM

this thread is full of such bad and dumb info. ER I CAN DO ANYTHING SO IT MAKES IT RIGHT. seriously grow up and listen or stop misleading. you can put up an argument all you want but you are wrong. no one cares that you bought an ebay kit for hids, cool you saved money on **** that won't last awesome i do it too. the issue here is improper application. as justin has clearly defined, certain bulbs require specific cutoffs within their respective housings to correctly and safely distribute light. think of an HID bulb in a non-HID housing as some asshat driving with their highbeams on. no, its not that extreme, its pretty damn close though. look at any car that uses an hid lighting system and take note of the housing. then go **** yourself.

go to the DOT and show them your awesome headlights, then come tell us how they roflz & GTFOUTSSSSS all over your face.

Slo86Bird 12-02-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 660936)
Seriously? There is a difference between a halogen housing and an HID housing - projectors are another story and don't impact the difference between the two. You can have projectors that utilize a halogen bulb, and HIDs that don't use projectors, but you can bet all of the OEM non-projector HIDs are in a housing that was designed around the light patterns of the HID bulb, and not a halogen.

So you are swapping over to projectors for your HIDs to get cleaner lines and reduce "scatter" (aka, glare for oncoming drivers and less usable light for yourself), but you don't expect the lighting to actually improve?

- Justin

projectors are going in because i like the look of projectors, idc about light output. i never get highbeamed until now since i have really bright foglights on my bullbar. but what im saying is every housing i have put them in, they look fine and dont have that much scatter and noone gets high beamed. so if u put hids in a stock housing you will be fine.