NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Clutchless Shifting (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58631)

sweetbmxrider 01-16-2012 12:55 PM

Clutchless Shifting

Discuss. I did it a couple times in my 94 yj and it pretty much pulled into gear on the 1-2 but I guess I suck at the 2-3 and I grinded it once so I stopped doing it. What are the dinosaurs' opinions?

coolmanvette75 01-16-2012 12:57 PM

Had to do it on my camaro when the master took a dump. Only grinded it once, but it is not very good for the trans

WildBillyT 01-16-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 804058)
Discuss. I did it a couple times in my 94 yj and it pretty much pulled into gear on the 1-2 but I guess I suck at the 2-3 and I grinded it once so I stopped doing it. What are the dinosaurs' opinions?

Why bother? What is gained, slightly less leg fatigue or a tradeoff between clutch life and overall trans life?

LS1ow 01-16-2012 01:02 PM

I used to do it in the fox all time. under normal driving id use the clutch, but when i was racing or messing around it was just grip and rib. only time it would grind is when i messed up the shift.

coolmanvette75 01-16-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 804063)
I used to do it in the fox all time. under normal driving id use the clutch, but when i was racing or messing around it was just grip and rib. only time it would grind is when i messed up the shift.

My dad used to do similar on his 66 ss396 chevelle. He filed down every other took on the syncro rings. Drove it with the clutch during normal duty. When it came time to race, it was all powershifts without the clutch

sweetbmxrider 01-16-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 804062)
Why bother? What is gained, slightly less leg fatigue or a tradeoff between clutch life and overall trans life?

Yeah it seems its a pretty hot topic but the general conscientious is you will kill the syncros and its much cheaper to replace a clutch. I figured if I got into a situation in water/mud where I needed to shift, it would be better than using the clutch. It also feels pretty bauce.

WildBillyT 01-16-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 804069)
Yeah it seems its a pretty hot topic but the general conscientious is you will kill the syncros and its much cheaper to replace a clutch. I figured if I got into a situation in water/mud where I needed to shift, it would be better than using the clutch. It also feels pretty bauce.

Yeah, unless you get the rev match down pat you'll make noise and bash crap around, but that doesn't allow you to shift when you want. Definetly hard on synchros but is probably also hard on engagement teeth.

Featherburner 01-16-2012 01:30 PM

My brothers 66 Gran Sport has been shifted mostly without the clutch. The clutch linkage is made from unobtanium and the condition of his is shaky at best! Damn Buicks!

WildBillyT 01-16-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Featherburner (Post 804071)
My brothers 66 Gran Sport has been shifted mostly without the clutch. The clutch linkage is made from unobtanium and the condition of his is shaky at best! Damn Buicks!

Gear oil probably looks like anti-seize at this point

Blackbirdws6 01-16-2012 01:33 PM

Takes a few tries to get the hang of it but not much benefit for us besides looking "bauce". I used to drive my buddies v6 stang without the clutch and once you get the feel for it, it's pretty easy to do.

As for general shifting, I find being a bit quicker in general reduces the amount of "blending" when changing gears which I believe significantly increases clutch life.

Featherburner 01-16-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 804072)
Gear oil probably looks like anti-seize at this point

It's a Ford transmission, it probably started out looking like anti-seize!

LS1ow 01-16-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 804069)

yea i was wondering why you really would ever need to Grip and Rip your jeep lol

BonzoHansen 01-16-2012 04:06 PM

Neutral drops in automatic cars are cool too.

I think the clutch is there for a reason other than neutral. :2cents:

fmybody 01-16-2012 04:45 PM

did it a couple times... yeah I don't see the point...

I couldn't do it downshifting tho...well i tried like 2 times and gave up/ got bored..

ar0ck 01-16-2012 04:59 PM

Do it all the time on a sportbike

Featherburner 01-16-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar0ck (Post 804170)
Do it all the time on a sportbike

That's a given!

redsoxsstink 01-16-2012 05:38 PM

i can up shift and downshift almost flawlessly when i want to but i use the clutch 99% of the time. i just do it to confuse people and it works

sweetbmxrider 01-16-2012 05:42 PM

Yeah bikes are different as well as racing and big rigs. This is just being a pal I guess.

LTb1ow 01-16-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 804180)
Yeah bikes are different as well as racing and big rigs. This is just being a pal I guess.

So neither of your vehicle's have a working clutch?
:bertstare:

sweetbmxrider 01-16-2012 05:49 PM

They both work? One just not very good.....one just don't feel like working :lol:

creeper 01-16-2012 10:50 PM

I had to drive with no clutch for a few miles because I figured in the long run it was cheaper than a tow, it's something that's good to know how to do for emergency situations but even with a stiff clutch pedal I like the combination of slamming down the left foot and yanking it into gear

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uhwmfr.jpg

on a side note driving with no clutch whatsoever and using the starter to get moving from stop signs/red lights will kill the starter pretty quick hahha

redsoxsstink 01-17-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 804353)
on a side note driving with no clutch whatsoever and using the starter to get moving from stop signs/red lights will kill the starter pretty quick hahha

:shock:, how do you do that?

wretched73 01-17-2012 12:21 AM

Use the clutch. There are numerous tiny parts in there that arent meant to handle the stressors clutchless shifts apply to them, unless youre absolutely perfect youre most likely adding unnecessary wear and tear

Jersey Mike 01-17-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsoxsstink (Post 804365)
:shock:, how do you so that?

First hand experience; A ROUGH and scary first-hand experience.

S.J.SLEEPER 01-17-2012 12:34 AM

if your reason for going clutchless is to save your calf from cramping or getting pumped up or just being lazy, I do it all the time around town and on highway...
if just driving easy, not for racing its very easy.
if in first and accelerating ease off the gas and pull on shifter lightly towards 2nd. it will slide in gear when it engine drops to correct rpm, continue same through all gears.
Downshifting.... example in 4th, as you let off gas, pull shifter out of gear, tap the gas to brings rpms up as your doing this push lightly towards 3rd. and it will slide in at corrct rpms.
its really easy, just get a knack for it after a while.

if you want to go clutchless while racing, than extensive work should be done such as faceplating, gear,synchro & blocker ring modifications.