NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Antenna for free TV? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54179)

qwikz28 12-06-2010 04:04 PM

Antenna for free TV?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/bu...abbitears.html

Am I reading this correctly? I can purchase an antenna and watch TV without paying for cable? Is this even legal? I watch TV infrequently, and would love to lower my cable bill to only the price of internet. Can someone shine some light on this for me?

V 12-06-2010 04:18 PM

its basically like the old style analog air broadcasted signals. but since the switch to digital tvs must be either new enough to use the digital signals or with older tvs you need a converter box. But yes, You can get some channels over-the-air for free still.

Knipps 12-06-2010 04:20 PM

you need a digital converter box and an antenna. my friend has it at her apt and we had it when I worked at BJs.

you get the minimal channels. 2-11, pbs, and some other crap you'd never watch. jake, have you never heard of people using antennas for tv? the govt was giving out the cable boxes free for months

qwikz28 12-06-2010 05:37 PM

Yeah, well, I thought that couldn't be done anymore. I was unaware you could get digital TV over the airways.

I am going to have to do some research on this. There is never anything on basic TV channels though.

Thanks guys!

BonzoHansen 12-06-2010 07:04 PM

Welcome to 1976

Stevoone 12-06-2010 08:16 PM

I have a digital antenna I bought before I got cable. My tv has a built in tuner and I get about 30 channels, half of them are in HD.

There are also a few web pages that tell you which direction to point your antenna to pick up different channels.

Location is a big issue. If your near a city you'll be fine. If your out in the country don't expect to pick up many channels.

qwikz28 12-06-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevoone (Post 741479)
I have a digital antenna I bought before I got cable. My tv has a built in tuner and I get about 30 channels, half of them are in HD.

There are also a few web pages that tell you which direction to point your antenna to pick up different channels.

Location is a big issue. If your near a city you'll be fine. If your out in the country don't expect to pick up many channels.

I live in Queens, about 4 miles from Manhattan. Signal should be fine. The TV I have is old, got it for free, so I doubt I have a tuner. I'll likely only get a few channels then, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 741442)
Welcome to 1976

Kiss my butt! I thought this was done away with when they made that big stink about going digital!

Tru2Chevy 12-06-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 741503)
I live in Queens, about 4 miles from Manhattan. Signal should be fine. The TV I have is old, got it for free, so I doubt I have a tuner. I'll likely only get a few channels then, huh?

IIRC, you can buy the digital converters for roughly $40, and that should get you all the digital broadcast channels that are available.

- Justin

qwikz28 12-06-2010 10:10 PM

I think I'm going to do it. Gonna cancel the Time Warner service after I get it set up and it works. I'll order the box and antenna on Amazon and return if it doesn't work. Should set me back no more than $60.

Gonna miss the DVR though.

Tru2Chevy 12-06-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 741532)
Gonna miss the DVR though.

You can do that with an old computer, big hard drive(s), and free software.

- Justin

qwikz28 12-06-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 741535)
You can do that with an old computer, big hard drive(s), and free software.

- Justin

I through out my old desktop :(

Tru2Chevy 12-06-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 741537)
I through out my old desktop :(

craigslist!

- Justin

qwikz28 12-06-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy (Post 741538)
craigslist!

- Justin

Eh, not that serious. :) I'm really just excited to lower my cable bill!

PolarBear 12-07-2010 07:07 PM

Hulu.com FTW!

Also you do not need a "special" antenna for digital broadcast Television. Any old antenna will work.

Knipps 12-07-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 741652)
Hulu.com FTW!

Also you do not need a "special" antenna for digital broadcast Television. Any old antenna will work.

as long as you have a TV that's digital compatible. Otherwise you need a "special" antenna or a converter box.

Anti_Rice_Guy 12-07-2010 09:42 PM

We have it at the shorehouse. We get 1.5 stations on a good day.

qwikz28 12-07-2010 11:19 PM

After much thought, I decided to just do this: http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD550-Netwo...pr_product_top

My DVD/VHS combo went out on my a few months ago, and this seems like a better option than trying to get cable through the airwaves. I figure there is more likely to be something of use to watch on Netflix or DVD than if I were to search basic television. And most importantly, it will have some use after I move from this apartment. Problem solved :)

Edit: just realized it doesn't have WiFi. The search continues....

Edit Again: I may just get a Roku and forgo the dvd/blu-ray for now. Gonna call Time Warner in the morning and see what my rates are for just internet.

PolarBear 12-08-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knipps (Post 741684)
as long as you have a TV that's digital compatible. Otherwise you need a "special" antenna or a converter box.

No, thats not quite right. You only need the box for an older TV, i.e. non hd. The antenna is universal, I know because my grandparents just hooked their old amplified antenna to the converter boxes and they are good to go now. Even with the digital TV you can use an old style antenna

Knipps 12-08-2010 06:02 PM

Isn't that what I just said? I think you missed the word "or" in there

PolarBear 12-09-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knipps (Post 741806)
Isn't that what I just said? I think you missed the word "or" in there

There is no "special" antenna :huh:

Pampered-Z 12-09-2010 10:35 AM

At my apartment I have a digi box W/rabbit ears in the window ( something outside would probably be better. I get NBC, CBS, 17, 29, 57 and the rest is a TON OF JUNK CHANNELS!

I say it's better nothing, and that's about as good as it gets!

I have to repostion the antenna for certain channels, if its raining I loose 1/2 the channels, or the picture gets "choppy".

ryanfx 12-10-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 741407)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/bu...abbitears.html

Am I reading this correctly? I can purchase an antenna and watch TV without paying for cable? Is this even legal? I watch TV infrequently, and would love to lower my cable bill to only the price of internet. Can someone shine some light on this for me?

You've been able to do this since the 1930's. Shine light on what??? You've never heard of anyone using an antenna for TV in your life?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 741710)
After much thought, I decided to just do this: http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD550-Netwo...pr_product_top

My DVD/VHS combo went out on my a few months ago, and this seems like a better option than trying to get cable through the airwaves. I figure there is more likely to be something of use to watch on Netflix or DVD than if I were to search basic television. And most importantly, it will have some use after I move from this apartment. Problem solved :)

Edit: just realized it doesn't have WiFi. The search continues....

Edit Again: I may just get a Roku and forgo the dvd/blu-ray for now. Gonna call Time Warner in the morning and see what my rates are for just internet.

It's not "cable through the airwaves".... it's your normal broadcast television through the airwaves, just like your parents used to watch. Also please note that digital != HD. Most stations will look the same, especially on your old TV.

Knipps 12-10-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 741890)
There is no "special" antenna :huh:

A special antenna would be an antenna with the digital converter built in. Hence a converter box (w/ basic antenna aka paperclip [it works!]) OR special antenna.

PolarBear 12-10-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knipps (Post 742029)
A special antenna would be an antenna with the digital converter built in. Hence a converter box (w/ basic antenna aka paperclip [it works!]) OR special antenna.

OK, what ever makes you feel like you are the one correct here :rollseye: