NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Media Blasting (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32028)

mudjnky 02-12-2008 08:30 AM

Media Blasting

Does anyone know of a shop in South Jersey that does media blasting? I need a hood done. Thnx!

79T/A 02-12-2008 09:40 AM

How badly rusted is the hood? Or are you just looking to take the paint off? I'm actually media blasting a rusty subframe in my garage. If you have a decent compressor, you can rent or borrow or buy a blaster and get it done. I buy my media at Tractor Supply Co. $6.65 for a 50 pound bag.

WildBillyT 02-12-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79T/A (Post 419156)
How badly rusted is the hood? Or are you just looking to take the paint off? I'm actually media blasting a rusty subframe in my garage. If you have a decent compressor, you can rent or borrow or buy a blaster and get it done. I buy my media at Tractor Supply Co. $6.65 for a 50 pound bag.

Are you using sand or baking soda?

Untamed 02-12-2008 10:46 AM

Won't sand pit the metal? Not a good choice for removing paint I thought. :shrug:

WildBillyT 02-12-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untamed (Post 419182)
Won't sand pit the metal? Not a good choice for removing paint I thought. :shrug:

There is that but it can also overheat and warp it. Sand is not recommended for body panels. Great for thicker metal like subframes and suspension parts though.

mudjnky 02-12-2008 11:10 AM

It has some surface rust, mostly to remove the paint. I want the top and bottom done and then primed. I had thought about doing it myself, but I really don't have the time or desire to go through the whole process. I'd rather just drop it off and pick it up done.

HardcoreZ28 02-12-2008 12:38 PM

Bill is right sand can heat the metal up and cause it to warp. So can a few other medias......the Mustang I'm working on now was warped using aluminum oxide....idiots!

Not sure how far you're willing to travel but there's a guy I use sometimes up here in Hillsborough who used baking soda. Place is called Final Strip and you'd want to talk to Richie.

mudjnky 02-12-2008 01:04 PM

I've read some comments on other boards that people don't want to use soda blasting. Any idea why?

HardcoreZ28 02-12-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudjnky (Post 419248)
I've read some comments on other boards that people don't want to use soda blasting. Any idea why?

No idea. Soda will actually help bare metal products last the longest before rust sets in.

trashman01 02-12-2008 03:07 PM

prob cuz it isnt as abrasive as wal-nut or sand

WildBillyT 02-12-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 (Post 419295)
No idea. Soda will actually help bare metal products last the longest before rust sets in.

I think managing the humidity when you are soda blasting is a big deal...

BonzoHansen 02-12-2008 04:36 PM

According to the new PHY, walnut shells can leave an oily residue that can come back up later. Soda can cause corrosion issues; it must have salt in it or salt like properties. Plastic media may be the most happy medium. But it won't remove rust.

...moving to restoration forum....

johnjzjz 02-13-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 419336)
According to the new PHY, walnut shells can leave an oily residue that can come back up later. Soda can cause corrosion issues; it must have salt in it or salt like properties. Plastic media may be the most happy medium. But it won't remove rust.

...moving to restoration forum....

your right walnut and corn huskers will leave a color of brown and a yellow we use walnut to obtain a 60s finish on an intake like a 302 cross ram need it show clean and cant have the new glass bead look -- my blaster is using a lot of soda and from what he has said their is a wash after - dont know what he is using but i might be able to find out

HardcoreZ28 02-13-2008 08:34 AM

Yeah soda will leave an base residue on the metal....base as in the opposite of an acid. Is that alkalinic? haha I guess I'm not smarter than a 5th grader.

Also soda blasting will not remove rust from what I've heard unless it's minor surface rust.

BonzoHansen 02-13-2008 06:09 PM

No, soda won't remove rust.

transamkid 02-20-2008 11:35 AM

look for a product called black beauty, its a coal slag byproduct and will get anything off. used to use it when i worked at the sandblaster and is by far the best all around media. they sell it for like $20 i think for a 100lb bag

WildBillyT 02-20-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transamkid (Post 421614)
look for a product called black beauty, its a coal slag byproduct and will get anything off. used to use it when i worked at the sandblaster and is by far the best all around media. they sell it for like $20 i think for a 100lb bag

Are you serious? :shock: For a hood??

BonzoHansen 02-20-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 421628)
Are you serious? :shock: For a hood??

Smooth hoods FTL. :rofl:

If you keep the PSI low, it would work. I did a fender like that with no problems. But you have to pay attention. Easy to screw up.

transamkid 02-20-2008 10:32 PM

yes, we used to do whole cars with it, you just use a different grit for what type of finish you want

DaSkinnyGuy 04-14-2008 08:10 PM

Media and sand blasting are two different things, in media blasting which is the recommened way to remove paint off a car is with a different type of material, my brain is tired I can;t think of what they use like they are little pellets of maybe glass?

BonzoHansen 04-14-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy (Post 437883)
Media and sand blasting are two different things, in media blasting which is the recommened way to remove paint off a car is with a different type of material, my brain is tired I can;t think of what they use like they are little pellets of maybe glass?

Sand is a type of media. Anything you blast is media, be it baking soda, beach sand, glass bead, walnut shells or gravel. Just like selecting sand paper, picking the right 'grit' media for the job is vital.

String 06-19-2008 07:16 PM

howabout the liquid paint stripper in a can for about 6 dollars? haha

rscamaro73 06-26-2008 04:34 PM

Who do we have that we can go to in Central Jersey (nearest to Trenton) to get some suspension pieces blasted and powder coated ??

Just need a pair of lower spring plates for now :-P.

Thanks....

WildBillyT 06-26-2008 05:48 PM

Paul (HardcoreZ28) can blast and coat them for you Wayne. He did some suspy parts for me and they came out great.

rscamaro73 06-26-2008 06:31 PM

How would I contact this fella and where's he out of ??

woulda had the local place here do it, but he left aboot a year ago...

EDIT - nevermind....i just scrolled up....duh.