NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   it's that time of year again (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26436)

jims69camaro 05-30-2007 08:38 PM

it's that time of year again

as in the accident time of year. some of you have been reporting on the board about it, already. i just want you to be careful out there. those that are younger don't have the frame of reference, but please take the word from someone with experience: it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, you cannot control what someone else does.

a perfect example: a nice, kick-back harley with saddle bags - not a retina-burning shade of orange or yellow on a rice rocket - was the victim of another driver's mistake. the harley could not avoid hitting the other vehicle. end result? dead motorcycle driver. dead vehicle driver (harley went through the driver's door. dead harley. not cool. now, you know, the harley rider was just out cruising, minding his own business. now he's not minding anything, but you can bet both of those drivers have families that have to live through a death in the immediate family.

people who have been around a little longer have, with some exceptions, seen how fleeting life can be. blink and it could be over. during the next few months there will be more idiots on the road than you can shake a stick at.

please be careful.

BonzoHansen 05-30-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims69camaro (Post 350175)
...it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, you cannot control what someone else does...

Words to remember.

bubba428 05-30-2007 09:02 PM

I hear that...I've deffinatly had my fair share of close calls and good scares...

baddest434 05-30-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

during the next few months there will be more idiots on the road than you can shake a stick at.

yep mostly down here at the shore:twisted: :twisted:

firehawk1120 05-30-2007 09:03 PM

Bill it's not fair to make fun of Mike like that. LMAO

bubba428 05-30-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddest434 (Post 350188)

ahh summer time jack-azzes and women driving vehicles larger than they're houses...keep it at the track and CYA guys

baddest434 05-30-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawk1120 (Post 350189)
Bill it's not fair to make fun of Mike like that. LMAO

lol he sold his SS did you know that?

Savage_Messiah 05-30-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, you cannot control what someone else does.

QFMFT.... I don't wanna go to any funerals. They're depressing. :nod:

The Fixer 05-31-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddest434 (Post 350188)

And watch yourselves the next few weekends; PROM WEEKENDS are here and all the n00b drivers will be drinking too much booze and piloting their vehicles around. Be careful!!!!!!!!

Untamed 05-31-2007 08:33 AM

Keep it at the track indeed.

Keep that in your minds when you drive around, no matter how few cars you see on the long road with no stoplights.

More "tech" posts. Less "kill" posts. :nod:

Knipps 05-31-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS (Post 350283)
And watch yourselves the next few weekends; PROM WEEKENDS are here and all the n00b drivers will be drinking too much booze and piloting their vehicles around. Be careful!!!!!!!!

:werddance:
my HS's prom is tomorrow etc
that's why i'm not going down this week or for a while in general:evil:

jims69camaro 05-31-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untamed (Post 350287)
More "tech" posts. Less "kill" posts. :nod:

amen.

JL8Jeff 05-31-2007 09:17 PM

"I'm a really good driver, good driver, yeah, good driver"

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/XsFilm...manRainman.jpg

But like Jim said, right now is the worst time you could imagine and we've seen way too many members post about their car being hit/damaged already. So pay attention and drive defensively! I don't want to be on your jury in 3 years!

unstable bob gable 05-31-2007 09:59 PM

I always feel bad for Harley drivers...they are usually just chillin' in the slow lane, just cruising and enjoying the ride, and they have to deal with the brainless, self centered, non-driving, cell phone hugging azzcaps who pollute the road. :evil:

jims69camaro 06-03-2007 09:44 PM

the woman driving the car was 84 years old. now, i have never been party to this argument before, but maybe it is time we put an age limit on the driver's licenses... or at least mandatory testing once a certain age is reached. 50, maybe, and every five years thereafter, sounds pretty good. the problem is, their reflexes are for crap and most of the time you find out they panic in dangerous situations, making it deadly.

they printed the names and ages in the paper this past week, but since i ain't around everyday, i didn't post it up. the harley rider was a father, age 36.

BonzoHansen 06-04-2007 09:49 AM

They should retest every renewal starting at 68.

V 06-04-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jims69camaro (Post 351426)
maybe it is time we put an age limit on the driver's licenses... or at least mandatory testing once a certain age is reached. 50, maybe, and every five years thereafter, sounds pretty good. the problem is, their reflexes are for crap and most of the time you find out they panic in dangerous situations, making it deadly.

i agree, but its pretty hard to tell someone they cant drive anymore. go your whole life being independent like that and then be informed, oh no, you have to sit home and depend on others for rides. i'm not saying its a bad idea, just rough to do. We're dealing with that with my father, with everything else hes going through, its quite upsetting to him and we are slowly trying to work it out.

jims69camaro 06-04-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokingSS (Post 351536)
i agree, but its pretty hard to tell someone they cant drive anymore.

if they can tell me to wear a seatbelt in my car, and fine me if they catch me not wearing one, then they can limit people who really shouldn't be on the road because of their reflexes. same deal with drunk driving, and now i think they are headed for driving while sleepy too.

they can do whatever the people want (oh, yeah, that's how a democracy works) when the people have decided they've had enough of a certain situation. either that, or some lawmaker will "deem" it necessary, and it will become a law.

V 06-04-2007 02:53 PM

no, i dont mean its hard for the government to tell people they cant drive, that they could. i mean its hard (emotionally etc) to tell a family member they cant drive anymore.

BonzoHansen 06-04-2007 03:05 PM

Paul, we just went through that with my Dad (80). It is very hard. I really very slowly worked towards it for at least 6 months. A few minor fender benders (that were never his fault, of course) helped us.

bokey 06-04-2007 03:09 PM

IMHO, I don't think it is an age thing at all ... In all honesty, my 80 year old grandfather can drive better then some 17-25 year olds. Of course that is not to say that he has made some mistakes either.

I think that from the day you get your license to the day you kick it, you should be re-tested at renewal. Honestly, this will keep everybody up-to-date on knowledge that we all sometimes forget (how far away to park from a fire hydrant, etc.). Also, this way nobody is saying "...well, starting at age 60 is when people start driving like *****."

Not very practical, but if refined I think it would be a really good solution.

jims69camaro 06-05-2007 12:26 PM

i would agree with that. however, think about how hard the DMV has worked to get the congestion in their centers all but a thing of the past. something like this would make them a major institution - not something i think we are ready for.