NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hood Insulation (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11257)

ar0ck 06-15-2005 02:46 PM

Hood Insulation

Ive been pondering what the real purpose of it is, and I cant seem to find a consistant answer that makes sence. Mine is ugly and has dirty spots on it, and I take my car to alot of car shows, and its alittle embarasing to show off the stock LT1 with some crappy looking thing on the hood...

Ive heard this :

#1- It keeps the heat in from cooking the paint off the hood of your car

#2- Its a fire blanket, and if your engine starts a fire, the plastic tabs melt and the blanket puts it out

#3 - Its just a sound deadner

Just to be the devils advocate, for #1; Ive seen people with aftermarket hoods that do not retain the sheet, and their paint is still prestine. For #2 Are the manufacturers really that smart? :lol: Only one I can agree with is #3.

enRo 06-15-2005 02:57 PM

#3 is correct. That's what I've read and keeps the engine noise down a tad. I've also heard #1 being the purpose, and I kinda lean to that as well, cuz the primer on my hood cooked off in a cpl months.

ar0ck 06-15-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
#3 is correct. That's what I've read and keeps the engine noise down a tad. I've also heard #1 being the purpose, and I kinda lean to that as well, cuz the primer on my hood cooked off in a cpl months.

I forgot to mention, I had removed the insulation off my 85' because the hood wouldnt shut with it in, and the paintjob that was on it was kinda cheap, and I didnt have any problems with bubles, or heat spots. And that motor LOVED to run hot.

Mike 06-15-2005 03:25 PM

#2 dosent work at ALL

when my friends blazer burned up wheeling...that stuff went up QUICKLY

Tru2Chevy 06-15-2005 03:32 PM

It's a bit of #1 and #3, but I would say for looks and weight, it goes straight to the garbage :D

- Justin

maroman88 06-15-2005 04:22 PM

#1 and #3 are correct...#2 just sounds good bein a fireman n all

i have it on the factory hood on the RS n its in good shape and that hoods so heavy anyway another few pounds dont matter.
on the 88 i have the twin turbo fiberglass hood and no probs with paint and if i want it to be quieter ill cap the cutout lol

skorpion317 06-15-2005 11:36 PM

#1 and #3 are correct.

NP_00'T/A 06-20-2005 02:35 PM

hmm my car never came with it and the paint is just fine so...

Fasterthanyou 06-20-2005 02:47 PM

It's actually #3 and partly #1 but more of #4
#4; keeps the engine from heat soaking the hood which would in turn (while moving down the road) heat up the outside of your windshield.

Little G 06-20-2005 08:33 PM

Take it out, you know why...

g