NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Racer's Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Need a new helmet... (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63012)

Paul Huryk 04-03-2013 01:37 PM

Need a new helmet...

Looking to pick up a new helmet for the track - been borrowing a buddies, but should just get my own. My old turtle helmet unfortuntely won't pass inspection, lol.

Have a budget of $300 - less is better if the helmet is a good one.

Suggestions?

Blackbirdws6 04-03-2013 02:14 PM

The G-Force ones seem to be pretty affordable. I think I paid around $150 for mine.

BarneyMobile 04-03-2013 02:42 PM

As long as its SNELL rated, you're good to go.

Dudbird113 04-03-2013 03:10 PM

I have the g force helmet. Only thig i have about a full helmet is it fogs up

Mike 04-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudbird113 (Post 876821)
I have the g force helmet. Only thig i have about a full helmet is it fogs up

just leave the visor open a click... you have glass in the car so the visor isnt doing anything anyway

BarneyMobile 04-03-2013 04:00 PM

^^Yup. I leave the visor up on my new helmet. My old one I took it completely off. Theres really no need for it inside a car.

sweetbmxrider 04-03-2013 04:53 PM

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/bell/bell-sport

I just recently picked this up. I haven't raced with it yet but just wearing it around its pretty comfortable. I needed something for lemons (hopefully) and my drag helmet was expired so I went with this. I'm going to take it to the karting meet the 14th if you are going and want to look it over etc.

WS6_CAIT 04-03-2013 05:05 PM

This may sound dumb but what's the difference between a helmet you'd use for the track vs. riding a motorcycle?

mc73nova 04-03-2013 05:42 PM

Make sure it is Snell 2005 or better. Try to get the Snell 2010 because it will just be good that much longer. Car or motorcycle doesn't really matter as long as the rating is good.

NJ Torque 04-03-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WS6_CAIT (Post 876835)
This may sound dumb but what's the difference between a helmet you'd use for the track vs. riding a motorcycle?

Nothing.

There are some larger motorcycle helmets where you can't it inside of a racecar. Also, a racecar/race helmet normally isnt as festivly decorated.

NHRABill 04-03-2013 08:07 PM

I use my motorcycle helmet wit h built in Bluetooth so I can hear my brothers instructions going through the water box or hear him yell if I start smoking and blow up another trans :)

transmaro93 04-03-2013 08:10 PM

^^^ there is a difference. what kind of racing do you need a helmet for? i have a helmet that is motorcycle rated but is not rate for track racing. its good enough for NHRA drag racing to a cirtain time i believe. but there are different rating that make a difference to track officials. here is a sight that can help. If your looking for a motorcycle helmet for drag racing purposes i have one i can sell you. used only twice. size M though (have a smaller head) if your looking to race on a road coarse or circle track this helmet doesnt meet those standards...

http://www.smf.org/stds

NHRABill 04-04-2013 12:45 AM

Yup should have clarified that I was riding my Bike down the track never brought my 4th Gen down yet.

Also bought a helmet from Souvenir stand there last year think it was about $150 when we brought out the Nova 10 sec. car

I know rules have changed since I used to work tech at RP back then we just looked at date in helmet and DOT sticker if I remember correct.

sweetbmxrider 04-04-2013 07:24 AM

Yeah I think the big question is what type of racing are you doing? Not only do the ratings matter, but a helmet someone wears for 30 seconds might not suite someone running 30+minutes around a track.

BonzoHansen 04-04-2013 08:20 AM

My understanding the primary difference is motorcycle helmets are not fire rated - meaning the liner. I think NJ state law is you cannot use a motorcycle helmet when racing in a car. I know I had to get the correct type last year to use at NJMSP.

I bought a g-force last year from Twist Machine, who by the way helped us a bunch with the Bob fundraiser last year. Good price, great service. I emailed him to see if it was in stock. I got return email later that night. I ordered it the next afternoon, then sent him an email afterwards about sizing, which he replied to quickly. Helmet came in 3 days later. Doesn't get better than that.

transmaro93 04-04-2013 07:00 PM

yea i bought a helmet couple years ago from stand at etown.. its only m2010 rated for motorcycles but was legal for their track but i know for a fact that any type of circle track or road coarse racing you need a different rated helmet

maroman88 04-05-2013 09:44 AM

i was forced to buy and extra one last year at etown, forgot mine at home! its plain black snell m2010 full face, as new condition if ur interested

Paul Huryk 04-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmaro93 (Post 876970)
yea i bought a helmet couple years ago from stand at etown.. its only m2010 rated for motorcycles but was legal for their track but i know for a fact that any type of circle track or road coarse racing you need a different rated helmet

That sucks...

Mike 04-05-2013 12:19 PM

Something legal for road racing should pass nhra tech. It's the other way arou d where cheaper helmets don't pass both

sweetbmxrider 04-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk (Post 877023)
That sucks...

The one I posted is what you need for > drag racing. helmetcity has 2 day shipping for free. Also, I ordered a gold chrome visor for mine. When it arrived, it was a standard silver chrome visor along with the stock clear. I called them up, they said keep it as a gift and the correct one would be sent out asap. It was supposed to come direct from manufacturer but bell was being lazy so they went ahead and contacted a place in NY that had it and it was here 2 days later. Pretty good service and was the cheapest I could find.

Paul Huryk 04-05-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 877027)
The one I posted is what you need for > drag racing. helmetcity has 2 day shipping for free. Also, I ordered a gold chrome visor for mine. When it arrived, it was a standard silver chrome visor along with the stock clear. I called them up, they said keep it as a gift and the correct one would be sent out asap. It was supposed to come direct from manufacturer but bell was being lazy so they went ahead and contacted a place in NY that had it and it was here 2 days later. Pretty good service and was the cheapest I could find.

Definitely drag racing and most probably road racing too, just want to make sure 1 helmet does both jobs.

sweetbmxrider 04-05-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk (Post 877029)
Definitely drag racing and most probably road racing too, just want to make sure 1 helmet does both jobs.

Its a Snell SA2010 rating which is higher than a Motorcycle rating and what I need for lemons/road racing. I bought it for dual purpose as well since I only drag race my camaro.

transmaro93 04-05-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 877030)
Its a Snell SA2010 rating which is higher than a Motorcycle rating and what I need for lemons/road racing. I bought it for dual purpose as well since I only drag race my camaro.

yea that will do both jobs deffinitly