NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Enlisting. (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23744)

Firebird67dude 02-19-2007 11:41 PM

Enlisting.

One of the main reasons I went scarce for those few weeks is I was in the process of making a very important decision. I have decided that I am going to enlist in the Marines. Within the next two weeks I will be doing all the beginning things to get the ball rolling.

Since I have a bunch of college credits behind me I was told that when I come out of boot camp I will be a pfc and within for mnths out of boot camp I will be up for Lance Corpral. I came home today from a weekend trip of skiing and I broke the news to my mom. Basicly it was a 4 hour talk of her crying and all upset. I told her that I could DEP and that would mean I would be in inactive duty for a yr. Made her feel a little better, I figure that bcuz then she'll have a yr. to talk me out of it, which won't happen.

Just thought I'd let you guys know whats going on and how I'm doing.

jimmyboy8301 02-19-2007 11:48 PM

congrats bro, if thats what you want. just be careful and i hope you realize that RECRUITERS LIE!!!!

Firebird67dude 02-19-2007 11:56 PM

I'm positive this is what I want to do.

Rich189 02-19-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyboy8301 (Post 316465)
congrats bro, if thats what you want. just be careful and i hope you realize that RECRUITERS LIE!!!!

:stupid: theyll do anything to get you to join... and can i ask why marines instead of another branch of the service?

Ian 02-19-2007 11:59 PM

recruiters do lie, that much is true. make sure you have EVERYTHING sorted out paperwork wise. I've heard horror stories about soldiers getting dicked out of a lot of their money because it gets tied up.

Can I ask why you chose the Marines? I know if I were to enlist, I' be a marine, but I just want to hear why you chose that branch.

ZeroCool8891 02-20-2007 12:02 AM

i have a friend who came back from boot camp hes going away on the 29th for a few months im friends with the staff sgt who is allso the recruiter

Firebird67dude 02-20-2007 12:02 AM

Well to answer your question Ian, I dont have perfect vision so flying a plane is out and the army idk I didnt like the recruiters style of bringing stuff up or how they talked to me.

jimmyboy8301 02-20-2007 12:03 AM

i would do the coast guard

Jersey_TA 02-20-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird67dude (Post 316472)
Well to answer your question Ian, I dont have perfect vision so flying a plane is out and the army idk I didnt like the recruiters style of bringing stuff up or how they talked to me.

There are other jobs in the airforce besides flying planes. Pretty much everything from aircraft maintenance, to communications, finance, medical. You name it. What is your job that you're going in for? You do realize that after training you're probably going to iraq. The airforce doesn't go there unless your a cop or other certain jobs.

Firebird67dude 02-20-2007 12:50 AM

I'm going in for either Aircraft mech. or infantry. I'm not sure yet.

V 02-20-2007 01:08 AM

afaik, in marines everyones primary duty is infantry.

regardless of what you decide to do, we all wish you the best.

Ian 02-20-2007 06:06 AM

in the marines erveryone is a rifleman, that much is true, but you do get to choose an MOS that is something besides infantry. you're scores are gonna have to be damn high at the end of basic to get into infantry, thats what almost every marine goes for. good luck man.

Rafterman 02-20-2007 06:27 AM

good for you man. good luck with that.

johnjzjz 02-20-2007 07:20 AM

All the best to you -- start running now -- work out every day ( hard ) and it wont be a shock when you get their -- i met a pile of recon Marines when my son in law was a Marine -- the beach at Camp L is un real -- good luck again -- SEMPER FI -- as my Marine friends always send -- jz

JerzLT1 02-20-2007 07:53 AM

aircrft mechanic as in the engine or the plane its self? im a jet engine mechanic in the airforce. if you have any questions just ask. Rob works on the jets too so ask away. your in the right place lol if you have questions about the Airforce. 13000hp F16 engines are pretty fun to work on :)

BonzoHansen 02-20-2007 08:01 AM

Good luck.

The Navy has lots of planes too.

Untamed 02-20-2007 08:53 AM

Atta boy! Like it was said above, make damn sure you know what you want and when you are available to do it.

Once you go to the MEPS station you still have time to change your mind. They'll give you a million and one chances to back out, come clean on criminal records, etc. all in an attempt to weed out the weak willed and criminally ineligible. They dont wanna spend any more money on you than they have to.

Be adamant about the MOS you want. If your timing is flexible, you may wait months for a slot to open up. Don't be pressured into anything else. Sometimes basic will begin in the summer, sometimes winter, all depending on when you can get the slot in the MOS you want. The recruiters at the MEPS station will pressure the hell out of you to simply sign. Don't do it unless your (future) DD214 reflects the MOS you want.

Any choice you make can be a good one, though some will be more hazardous than others. In any case, military training and experience looks really good on resumes. Good on you for making the decision.

shane27 02-20-2007 09:21 AM

grats man. it takes balls to enlist in the marines. dont die and kill some terrorists for me :mrgreen:

....just hope hilliary dosent get elected while your in iraq

bubba428 02-20-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane27 (Post 316519)
....just hope hilliary dosent get elected while your in iraq

what it matter if he there or not...she gets elected we all die...

bubba428 02-20-2007 09:34 AM

o yea grats on the marines...i'da joined right outta high school but i'm fat and lazy...takes alotta work to accauly be a marine...good luck man

jin1481 02-20-2007 10:15 AM

congrats man, i'm in iraq right now in the marines. i'm a computer geek for them, networking and stuff, and its opened a lot doors for me when i get out. your either going to love it or hate it. don't believe everything the recruiter man says, its not you he can do for you its what you can do for him. keep your head up and keep motivated and enjoy. Semper Fi

Teds89IROC 02-20-2007 10:45 AM

good luck man, the MR2 will be waiting for you

Brando56894 02-20-2007 11:30 AM

[Gunny]Semper Fi! Carry On![/Gunny]

BigAls87Z28 02-20-2007 11:42 AM

[FMJ]
Gunny- SNOWBALL!!
Snowball- SIR, YES SIR
Gunny- 0300, Infantry
Gunny- MYERS!!
Myers- SIR, YES SIR
Gunny- 0300, Infantry
Gunny- DAVIS!!
Davis- SIR, YES SIR
Gunny- 0300, Infantry
Gunny- JONES!!
Jones- SIR, YES SIR
Gunny- 1420, Engineers...you get to go out and find mines[/FMJ]

Good luck big guy. Keep your head down. Oo-Rah.

chevyt454 02-20-2007 01:46 PM

Lots of Camaro guys in there. You'll have company. Best of luck