NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   South Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Stereo help? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61276)

Phoenixfire1989 09-13-2012 08:18 PM

Stereo help?

My stereo system has been going haywire for quite some time now. Can someone help me? I think it's a possible loose wire. I'll be driving and my subs will go in and out in the back, and the back speakers behind the sails i had to remove cause they weren't making any sound..they were just crackling. Everything as far as i knew was getting power on a meter..so i'm unsure what's going wrong.

BullittSVT 09-13-2012 09:44 PM

Could be a crappy ground

3rdGenHardtop 09-14-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullittSVT (Post 850368)
Could be a crappy ground

This, or any number of other things. I need more information to help you, but i'm sure I can help you.

jam01 09-15-2012 10:40 AM

is this a stock system? what year and model? if aftermarket who installed it ?

NJ Torque 09-15-2012 10:44 AM

Sing to yourself.

Phoenixfire1989 09-15-2012 11:32 PM

if i turn the volume up very loud the back subs go out. The sail speakers don't work at all. I'm unsure if maybe the alternator isn't putting out enough power since ive been having charging issues, but it doesn't seem to matter how high its charged..its still going out. It has two amps..one is a pioneer, other is a menace..and the subs are menace. I put them in..and they worked until i might have accidently spilled a tiny bit of antifreeze on the pioneer screws(where the wires go). I tried cleaning this out, and its no longer oily, but its still not working. When the sound goes out, it seems the light on the amp is flickering..but unsure if its a loose connection somewhere or something went bad =/

deadtrend1 09-16-2012 06:29 AM

Could be bad connection or ohms related or something else. Hard to say without looking at it

grazi 09-16-2012 09:29 AM

Its possible that the amp is going into overload protection when you turn it up too loud. That could be the light flickering. Try lowering the gain on your amp and turn it up. See if it still happens.

Phoenixfire1989 09-16-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1 (Post 850575)
Could be bad connection or ohms related or something else. Hard to say without looking at it

the back sail speakers are getting 4 ohms on one side and 8 on the other. I assume it's a circuit and that's normal? but they don't work, just crackle

Phoenixfire1989 09-16-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grazi (Post 850586)
Its possible that the amp is going into overload protection when you turn it up too loud. That could be the light flickering. Try lowering the gain on your amp and turn it up. See if it still happens.

I'll give it a shot later. Thanks

grazi 09-16-2012 06:01 PM

Another thing you can do if possible is to swap the RCA cables on the amps. If the sail speakers work and the subs crackle, at least you know its before the amp, maybe a chaffed RCA cable or something. Just trying to narrow it down alittle

deadtrend1 09-16-2012 06:18 PM

So, you have the rear 6x9's amped? The front 4x6s are run off the headunit? What is your setup?

Phoenixfire1989 09-18-2012 08:00 PM

i'm so bad with electronics...i'm sure the front speakers run off the headunit cause they have no bass to them

deadtrend1 09-19-2012 07:54 AM

The fronts 4x6's wont put out bass due to their size. I normally filter it out to prevent any clipping. For simplicity of things, theres no reason to not run the 4 main speakers off the headunit.

greenformula92 09-19-2012 08:25 AM

How I would run them would be to run the speakers of the head unit and run the two subs off of one adequate amp. Running two amps just sounds like a headache unless one is running your speakers and the other in running the subs. Of course I care a lot less about audio systems now but I do have some experience and one of my best friends used to be an installer and does it on the side.

deadtrend1 09-19-2012 08:40 AM

Thats basically what i was sayin. To keep it simple cause by her desceiptions, its seems this is a unknown area. Ive been out of the audio game for awhile (used to do shows and done countless custom installs).

Phoenixfire1989 09-23-2012 11:21 AM

A club member that glanced at it real fast thinks whoever set it up..the wires i have aren't enough to power the units i have =/ I'll have to take it somewhere. Adjusting the gain some did help though =)

BullittSVT 09-23-2012 12:40 PM

If thicker gauge wires will solve your problem, then your lucky!

Phoenixfire1989 09-23-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullittSVT (Post 852015)
If thicker gauge wires will solve your problem, then your lucky!

I'm hoping that is all it is. It worked ok for about a year..but i was told over time it just won't do the job if the wires are too small..

deadtrend1 09-23-2012 05:09 PM

If you pick up what you need i could get you up and running

FlyingDutchman 09-23-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixfire1989 (Post 850570)
if i turn the volume up very loud the back subs go out. The sail speakers don't work at all. I'm unsure if maybe the alternator isn't putting out enough power since ive been having charging issues, but it doesn't seem to matter how high its charged..its still going out. It has two amps..one is a pioneer, other is a menace..and the subs are menace. I put them in..and they worked until i might have accidently spilled a tiny bit of antifreeze on the pioneer screws(where the wires go). I tried cleaning this out, and its no longer oily, but its still not working. When the sound goes out, it seems the light on the amp is flickering..but unsure if its a loose connection somewhere or something went bad =/

I had something similar to this when I first installed my sub. The amp pwr light did nothing but flicker and I got no sound from the amp. Turned out to be a bad ground from the amp to the body, problem solved by redoing the gnd wire. I would check the contacts of the wires and make sure you have good clean points of connection. Is it just the amp you spilled on that isn't working?

Phoenixfire1989 09-23-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97camaro (Post 852044)
I had something similar to this when I first installed my sub. The amp pwr light did nothing but flicker and I got no sound from the amp. Turned out to be a bad ground from the amp to the body, problem solved by redoing the gnd wire. I would check the contacts of the wires and make sure you have good clean points of connection. Is it just the amp you spilled on that isn't working?

well..i unhooked the one amp that i spilled the antifreeze on..it only controlled the back sail speakers... The other amp is connected the the sub box only..and if i drive for a while the amp gets real hot..and the subs go in and out. I really do think it's a power issue somewhere..

grazi 09-23-2012 06:13 PM

The one that gets real hot, Is that the one that you tried lowering the gain on and the same one that has the flickering light?

Phoenixfire1989 09-23-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grazi (Post 852048)
The one that gets real hot, Is that the one that you tried lowering the gain on and the same one that has the flickering light?

The flickering one is the one that is disconnected. The one that is still hooked up is the one getting really hot

greenformula92 09-24-2012 07:40 AM

What kind of AMP is it? That amp might be on its way out