NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Referral Needed: Scratch in Windshield. (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67041)

Jersey Mike 07-06-2016 04:32 PM

Referral Needed: Scratch in Windshield.

3 Attachment(s)
I have a scratch in the windshield of the 'Bird. I'd prefer to have it removed, rather than replace the entire windshield.

Can anyone recommend a good Detail or Glass guy that can remove this scratch for me? I'm located in Wayne, but can drive if need be.

Thanks!

*edit* attaching pics of the scratch in question. Seems like it's from the wiper blade. Hopefully I don't need to replace the windshield.

6spdg37s 07-06-2016 05:54 PM

my friend does glass replacement. but thats all i know of.

NJ Torque 07-08-2016 02:13 PM

Contact the company Novus. Theyre a franchise, I have a guy that comes down here if you need.

Jersey Mike 07-09-2016 05:41 PM

Thanka for the info, guys.
I've updated the first post with a few pics for reference

sweetbmxrider 07-10-2016 07:38 AM

Can you feel it with your finger nail? Looks like it can be polished out to me.

Jersey Mike 07-10-2016 09:02 AM

Yeah, Adam. I can.

sweetbmxrider 07-10-2016 05:02 PM

Is it possible to polish the scratch out of the glass?

Jersey Mike 07-10-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 927799)
Is it possible to polish the scratch out of the glass?

Well that's the basis for this thread. I honestly don't know where the limits of polishing/glass cutting are, so I was hoping these photos may make their way to some more experienced eyes.

I sure wish I could summon Rich189 or the like to this thread right about now :-?

Blackbirdws6 07-11-2016 05:16 AM

Honestly if you can feel it with your finger, polishing may just soften the appearance of the scratch but it won't be removed. IMO your money is best spent towards new glass.

sweetbmxrider 07-11-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 927810)
Honestly if you can feel it with your finger, polishing may just soften the appearance of the scratch but it won't be removed. IMO your money is best spent towards new glass.

This is what I thought.

V 07-11-2016 07:35 AM

How's the glass on the rest of the car? I ask because eastwood sells glass polishing kits. For 45 and 70 bucks. If the other windows could use a little work, may be worth getting one of the kits. Do the rest of the glass and try the windshield. If it comes out enough, great, if it doesn't do much, the money for the kit still wasn't wasted since you most likely made the other glass better. Worth a shot I think compared to a whole new windshield with installation.

Jersey Mike 07-11-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 927813)
How's the glass on the rest of the car? I ask because eastwood sells glass polishing kits. For 45 and 70 bucks. If the other windows could use a little work, may be worth getting one of the kits. Do the rest of the glass and try the windshield. If it comes out enough, great, if it doesn't do much, the money for the kit still wasn't wasted since you most likely made the other glass better. Worth a shot I think compared to a whole new windshield with installation.

Off memory, the other glass is good. But I'll examine them all more closely this evening & see if I should go that route. Thanks for the lead, Paul.

The_Bishop 07-12-2016 05:54 AM

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, by the time it's polished out your view through that part of the windshield will probably be distorted if that matters at all. It might be similar in cost to just replace the windshield, especially if the rest of the car is now new looking. All the light pitting and wiper haze will stand out like a sore thumb.

sweetbmxrider 07-12-2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 927845)
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, by the time it's polished out your view through that part of the windshield will probably be distorted if that matters at all. It might be similar in cost to just replace the windshield, especially if the rest of the car is now new looking. All the light pitting and wiper haze will stand out like a sore thumb.

I always wondered what caused that distorted look. I put a cheap aftermarket ($60) windshield in mine and could see that on certain angles especially on the curved area. So is that high low spots in manufacturing most likely?

Blackbirdws6 07-12-2016 08:22 AM

Yes, different thickness in the material at those points. The higher end stuff will keep the material thickness even across the glass to avoid the distortion.