NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   North Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Old member...thinking of getting the car back on the road (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66517)

2001orangess 11-03-2015 08:17 PM

Old member...thinking of getting the car back on the road

Hi everyone, some of you guys may remember me but im sure many of you won't.

I've been a member of njfboa for many years now but haven't been active in the past 8 or so years because I was overseas. Now that I'm back in NJ, I having the itch to get the Camaro back on the road..

however, all the shops that I knew before are no longer there and I don't know any mechanic who can or will work on my car (car is slightly modified.... to be honest, i can't even remember my mod list anymore)

if anyone can point me in the right direction..that would be most appreciated.

thanks

WSex 11-03-2015 11:27 PM

Welcome back!

The_Bishop 11-04-2015 06:48 AM

What part of NJ, and what's up with the car?

Also: Welcome back! :)

Tru2Chevy 11-04-2015 07:20 AM

Welcome back RJ!

- Justin

ThoR294 11-04-2015 07:35 AM

more details on the car? :P and welcome back!

2001orangess 11-04-2015 08:52 AM

Good to be back.

So let me preface by saying the the car is a 2001 ss. It hasn't moved in about 8 years because I went overseas (also the keys were lost during the renovation) and I just got back for good. Honestly thought I had to go to GM for a copy of the keys.. but i did find it in a box in the attic (talk about lucky)

Anyway I got the keys but still haven't started it because it's under a bunch a crap so I have to move stuff around.. Don't worry car was covered the whole time.

Now the shop I went to is out of business and I've been out of the scene for soo long. All I remember is cartek, but I haven't contacted them it. I was looking for other suggestions.

Anyway, for the mod list.... I can't remember much. But it does have the sts turbo w fmic, stall converter, cams... etc. Got it dyno'd and it made around 550hp with a stock bottom end...I know it was a dynamite ready to blow so after the dyno I drove it conservatively until I left.

So I guess I have to get the bottom end done along with implementing the nitrous which was disconnected in lieu of the turbo

So can anyone recommend me a shop?

2001orangess 11-04-2015 08:54 AM

Oh and I'm in North jersey

sweetbmxrider 11-04-2015 09:41 AM

Fresh fuel, oil change for peace of mind, and tune time performance in lakewood would be my recommendation.

2001orangess 11-04-2015 10:03 AM

Tune time performance? Do they have any experience with force induction?

sweetbmxrider 11-04-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001orangess (Post 922181)
Tune time performance? Do they have any experience with force induction?

Lots, that's why I recommended them.

Blackbirdws6 11-04-2015 10:20 AM

Def give the car a good once over and change all the fluids as mentioned. My concern would be your fuel quality. I would see how it runs with no boost and go through a couple tanks of fresh fuel before getting into it more. Check tires for dry rot and usual defects from sitting. I've been happy with Tune Time so they are worth a call. There are certainly others so do your homework and go with whoever you are comfortable.

ar0ck 11-04-2015 04:07 PM

Welcome back to America RJ!

omarcamaro 11-04-2015 05:23 PM

are you from Clifton I remember a orange ss with a sts turbo running around years ago

2001orangess 11-04-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omarcamaro (Post 922188)
are you from Clifton I remember a orange ss with a sts turbo running around years ago

if by a few years you mean 8 years or so, than yes it is me. i'm from clifton

2001orangess 11-04-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 922183)
Def give the car a good once over and change all the fluids as mentioned. My concern would be your fuel quality. I would see how it runs with no boost and go through a couple tanks of fresh fuel before getting into it more. Check tires for dry rot and usual defects from sitting. I've been happy with Tune Time so they are worth a call. There are certainly others so do your homework and go with whoever you are comfortable.

thanks, i havent lifted the covers off her yet so i dont know what im expecting in regards to the tires. but other than the engine and oil and the gas. should there be anything I need to look at?

where is tune time? are you allowed to post the info here or does it need to be pm'ed (I dont know if they are a sponsor or not)

any reviews on any other shop? or even any suggestions. I'll probably start calling around/checking them out

The Fixer 11-05-2015 10:48 AM

I would also pull the wheels off and look make sure the rotors aren't completely rusted, and that the caliper pistons are not seized up. After 8 years, that's definitely a possibility, especially if the garage gets damp in the winters. You certainly don't want to get the car moving only to find out you can't stop it. ;) Welcome back, and good luck with the project!

BonzoHansen 11-09-2015 03:59 PM

Give JS Performance a call ---------->>>

2001orangess 11-09-2015 07:17 PM

Since I had the morning free today, I decided to take a drive down to a shop and talk to the individuals working there. I previously contacted them before so they knew i was coming in. First of all, they were very accommodating and acted very professionally

(i wont mention the shop for now)

We started talking about the car itself (and I know its difficult for someone to give a hard estimate without seeing the car itself. I told him the mods that I remember were on the car and the situation of the car (sitting for 8 years etc)

They gave me 3 estimates. based on 3 different scenarios. I guess worse case scenario thing. First estimate they gave me was if the block was still good, 2nd one was with an ls2 block and 3rd is if we did a crate motor.

Now i dont know what the going rate for labor/parts are so I dont know if I'll be over paying or if it seems ok. So if anyone can chime in and let me know.. that would be great

Quote:
Custom cam 450
Dual valve spring kit with titanium retainers 299
lsx hi performance timing chain 179
piston and ring kit 850
forged rods 375
gaskets 685
assembly of engine 1250
hone with plate 350
competition valve job 325
deck block 250
fuel injectors 500
fuel pump bucket assembly 535
walbro fuel pump 200
misc. fluids (oil, filter, coolant) 150
spark plugs 32

parts cost comes out to about 6430
than the labor for 2310
dyno tune for 350

so it comes to about 9400.00

idk looks kinda steep to me but than again, I'll ask the experts

so let me know what you guys thing

thanks

The_Bishop 11-09-2015 07:51 PM

Is the motor damaged? Why look into a rebuild?

2001orangess 11-09-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 922250)
Is the motor damaged? Why look into a rebuild?

it was... i dont know the extent nor the nature. i guess it would be a good time to do. dont know how much the stock bottom end can last with boost

Jersey Mike 11-09-2015 09:06 PM

We got 18 posts in before getting mention of a damaged motor?!
From having read the original post and your posts thereafter, I got the impression that the car was sitting simply because the was no one around to drive it/no keys... not that it was impossible to drive because a motor was blown.

What happened to the car/motor that makes you say "if the block is still good" & "the motor was damaged?"

Let's start here...

omarcamaro 11-09-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001orangess (Post 922191)
if by a few years you mean 8 years or so, than yes it is me. i'm from clifton

Yea that's the car I remember years ago. I have a white lt1.

Omar

2001orangess 11-09-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 922253)
We got 18 posts in before getting mention of a damaged motor?!
From having read the original post and your posts thereafter, I got the impression that the car was sitting simply because the was no one around to drive it/no keys... not that it was impossible to drive because a motor was blown.

What happened to the car/motor that makes you say "if the block is still good" & "the motor was damaged?"

Let's start here...

yes you are correct...the car was sitting because the keys were missing and i went overseas to for school. I did come back a couple of times here and there, but yes the keys are misplaced

so next.... to be honest, from me getting the car back from ttp and leaving overseas was only a couple of months, therefore I didn't get a chance to fix it or dwell upon it...
Recently I decided to try to contact Matt about the mods list, he said the only thing he had was the post from ls1tech

http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...w-fmic-a4.html

so yea, than that's when I remembered that something was wrong with cylinder 7

edit: i think it happened when we went to 10lbs of boost on the dyno

Jersey Mike 11-10-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001orangess (Post 922255)
http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...w-fmic-a4.html

so yea, than that's when I remembered that something was wrong with cylinder 7

edit: i think it happened when we went to 10lbs of boost on the dyno

Quote:

Originally Posted by OP from RJ's LS1Tech Link
March 09, 2006, TTPMatt:

This is the STS rear-mount turbo system with a GT-67 and custom front mount intercooler. Here are the details:

2001 Camaro SS
TTP Built Stage 3 4L60E
Vig 3200 Converter
Stock LS1 Heads
Stock Bottom End
TTP Equalizer V.3 Camshaft
Crane Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers
SLP 1 3/4" LTs with Cats
STS Turbo, GT-67 - 10PSI
TTP FMIC Setup (OBX Intercooler)
3" into I/C, 4" stepped out to SLP 85mm MAF, NW 90mm TB
FAST 90mm Intake
TTP Custom Standalone Fuel System utilizing stock plastic gas tank, A/M A1000 pump, A/M fuel rails

Note: Still have some A/F changes to make, currently the car is down, hurt #7 cylinder.

Compression and Leak Down tests pronto. Post the results. Assess & go from there.

sweetbmxrider 11-10-2015 09:49 AM

#7 is the one that likes to go lean. Prob put a hole in the piston if you pushed it hard.