NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical and Wiring (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Installing power amp - uncovered a wiring nightmare... (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64092)

Paul Huryk 10-14-2013 03:56 PM

Installing power amp - uncovered a wiring nightmare...

I picked up an Alpine 4 channel amp to add a sub and more front speaker power in the GTA. I've done about 15 of these cars, so being a perfectionist is not such a hard thing to do.

But as I was under the driver's dash to run the power wire through the firewall, I found a mess of alarm spaghetti that is both scary and impressive at the same time - not to mention a whole bunch of additional dead wires under the hood.

The wire nest includes every sensor known to man (at least back in 1989) - shock, ignition kill, pager module (quite useful today), radar sensor, and even a glass sensor - probably $750 back then for the sucker.

When i bought the car, the previous owner mentioned that there was an alarm and it was non functional (he gave me the brain in a glad bag). Never had any problems with the car - everything electrical works well, no problems so far.

Question - should I spent the time to disconnect the sucker and reattach any cut OEM wiring back to stock, or should I leave it alone?

I'd hate to have electrical problems, although I'm sure the remaining attached components are energized and if they crap out, the car is going to give me problems.

Rob WS6 10-14-2013 04:56 PM

Get rid of it. My convertible was much the same way... was driving with a group of people one night, went over a bump and suddenly lost my dash and tail lights. No biggy, put a new fuse in and popped right away. Got it home and went to town the next day, was a total nightmare under the dash. Got it all out and back to factory and wouldn't ya know it, the problem went away. Did the same thing to my 98, though it wasn't nearly as bad. Get that crap out of there and you'll never have to worry about it again. And the car will lose like 10lbs! lol

Also, most times when they install alarms, they tap INTO the wiring, very seldom do they actually cut and splice the wires, at least in my experiences its always been like that. Returning to stock is surprisingly simple.

deadtrend1 10-15-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob WS6 (Post 892309)
Get rid of it. My convertible was much the same way... was driving with a group of people one night, went over a bump and suddenly lost my dash and tail lights. No biggy, put a new fuse in and popped right away. Got it home and went to town the next day, was a total nightmare under the dash. Got it all out and back to factory and wouldn't ya know it, the problem went away. Did the same thing to my 98, though it wasn't nearly as bad. Get that crap out of there and you'll never have to worry about it again. And the car will lose like 10lbs! lol

:nod:

It was impressive. Didn't it fire over faster when we were done?

maroman88 10-15-2013 08:54 PM

i've always removed any aftermarket alarms from any car i bought, no need for all that extra mess

Paul Huryk 10-21-2013 10:20 PM

Next week the alarm and all extra wiring associated with it are coming out. Car running after the surgery might be another story...

Paul Huryk 11-07-2013 03:50 PM

About 12lbs of wiring and sensors later, we are alarm free...

http://ctw-motorsports.com/s/cc_imag...g?t=1383860852

WildBillyT 11-07-2013 03:51 PM

Good lord.

The_Bishop 11-07-2013 04:22 PM

It's amazing, the amount of spaghetti wiring that's involved with most alarm installs.

PolarBear 11-07-2013 05:17 PM

Does the car run now? lol

deadtrend1 11-07-2013 10:08 PM

Looks about right. Under dash panels should fit now and not be squisshed against wiring

Paul Huryk 11-07-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1 (Post 894224)
Looks about right. Under dash panels should fit now and not be squisshed against wiring

Hopefully!

Those poor screws holding the panel were hanging on for dear life...

Paul Huryk 11-07-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 894201)
Does the car run now? lol

Going to fire it up tomorrow...

Don't jinx me!!!

sweetbmxrider 11-08-2013 06:58 AM

Throw it on ebay :lol:

Paul Huryk 11-08-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 894237)
Throw it on ebay :lol:

I probably should.

The last owner also gave me another alarm brain and another pair of sensors, like I needed extra pieces to an alarm that probably hasn't worked since 1997.

Might be eBay gold!!!

WildBillyT 11-08-2013 10:56 AM

Think of the scrap value of all of that copper! :mrgreen:

Rob WS6 11-08-2013 12:05 PM

Hah yeah, that looks all to familiar!