NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   QQ Plate limitations (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64488)

Teds89IROC 01-27-2014 08:58 PM

QQ Plate limitations

So The IROC is 25 years old this year and Im due for inspection. I've had Collector car status for the past few years which has been wonderful. I have the regular NJ registration and then when my inspection was up I paid $10 for a voucher that I took to an inspection station, they verified my mileage (cant exceed 3k miles a year) and slapped a new sticker on. Looks like I can't continue the Collector registration due to the age but all I see on DMV website about QQ is that the vehicle can only be driven for car show and educational purposes. Any insight from you QQ owners?

PolarBear 01-27-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teds89IROC (Post 898583)
all I see on DMV website about QQ is that the vehicle can only be driven for car show and educational purposes. Any insight from you QQ owners?

While this is really the only thing you can do with Historic plates, I have yet to get or hear of anyone getting pulled over for driving outside of those restrictions AND Parades!

I guess you take you chances, but as long as you don't daily drive it you should be fine

BonzoHansen 01-27-2014 09:14 PM

I've never had an issue. I know some old guys that always have a list of cruise nights on them just in case, or of course you are repairing it, gotta do test drives right?

i suspect unless you drive like a jerk and they are looking for you you have no issues.

stoney2677 01-27-2014 09:23 PM

Honestly I thought the restrictions came from your ins company. People drive their cars whenever the hell they want to anyway, I know I do. From my ins company I'm actually allowed to drive it whenever. Only kicker is Each adult has to have a full time vehicle available for commute. Took some doing for them to accept my work vehicle and I own the dam company. I've got 5000 miles a year, like I need them.

Teds89IROC 01-27-2014 09:28 PM

Good idea with the cruise night list. My concern is driving it to work here and there or to run errands, my own cruising etc. I guess I have no choice though because i'm certainly not passing emissions :lol:

BonzoHansen 01-27-2014 09:50 PM

I've never had an issue. Cops got better things to do. I just wouldn't make a habit of it.

Your insurance might not allow going to work in it. Read your policy.

Teds89IROC 01-27-2014 10:16 PM

Policy says occasional pleasure use, shows, or parade so I should be fine.

Thanks guys!

1320B4U 01-28-2014 06:39 AM

...I'm looking forward to doing it in a few years.

KevinW 01-28-2014 06:49 AM

I have QQs, the 3 biggest differences on my policy is: must be garaged, you must have a regular registered car for each licensed driver in houshold and you can't drive it to work. There is also a line about you can't drive it more than 2500 miles (varies by insurer) per year (but since they or DMV never asks for mileage, does not really matter :)). As long as you can get by with those rules, no problem. The issue will be if you are ever in an accident and you are not following the rules, it could get ugly.

There is at least 1 car show/cruise per day in NJ from May to Sept, so no problem there, just brush up on the ones offered that day if you are taking it out :D

The less than $300 per year ins and $0 for yearly registration is a nice change from regular registered cars!

jam01 01-28-2014 07:04 AM

i have them on my malibu, i don't drive it every day but during the summer i like to cruise around in it. i have never been pulled over in it ( tho now that i wrote this i am sure i will ) or questioned by anyone. i do have haggerty insurance on it and they say not to exceed 3,000 miles a year, the first year i went over so i called them they told me not to worry about it as long as i wasnt going to work in it. this is what dmv says about historic plates/ To be considered a historic vehicle, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner. Historic plates can be purchased for $44.
keep a flyer of an event or something in the car with you.

BonzoHansen 01-28-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam01 (Post 898596)
i do have haggerty insurance on it and they say not to exceed 3,000 miles a yea

my haggerty policy has no mileage limits. is that actually in the policy language?

maroman88 01-28-2014 08:15 AM

ive got them on the 88... it hasnt left the garage in 4 years now tho lol. it is insured thru state farm as a 'pleasure vehicle', has to be garaged, and not used as a DD. ive always had it insured that way, even prior to the QQ plates.

Slow-V6 01-28-2014 09:31 AM

I had QQ plates on my old vette. I really only used the car for car events, and cruises. IDK if I would daily my car to work with QQ plates.. I also have grundy insurance on my T/A and it cant be used for Daily or driving to and from work. Only car events and leisure driving. Dont know what the penalty is if you get caught.. If someone hits your car @ your work parking lot and then finds out you are not suppose to drive it to work, I wonder how that would turn out?

Teds89IROC 01-28-2014 09:37 AM

My car has been registered in my dads name since I had it in HS to save on insurance but it was never changed. Same with the policy with NCM but I'm listed as an operator. Has to be garaged, everyone has to have another vehicle registered to them as a DD and im limited 3k miles a year, but they don't verify and I doubt I'd hit that anyway. Doesn't specify anything about work

BonzoHansen 01-28-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow-V6 (Post 898606)
I had QQ plates on my old vette. I really only used the car for car events, and cruises. IDK if I would daily my car to work with QQ plates.. I also have grundy insurance on my T/A and it cant be used for Daily or driving to and from work. Only car events and leisure driving. Dont know what the penalty is if you get caught.. If someone hits your car @ your work parking lot and then finds out you are not suppose to drive it to work, I wonder how that would turn out?

they can deny the claim

redsoxsstink 01-28-2014 09:56 AM

do you have to have a classic car insurance policy? I know the dmv won't care but will the insurance company care that the car has QQ plates and is under a regular plan? I ask since my car is eligible for QQs but I don't since I'm under 25, most places won't insurance a driver unless they are 25 years old

Slow-V6 01-28-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teds89IROC (Post 898607)
Doesn't specify anything about work

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teds89IROC (Post 898590)
Policy says occasional pleasure use, shows, or parade so I should be fine.

Thanks guys!

Think you pretty much answered your own question. My insurance company says going food shopping and going to work is not considered pleasure use. I didnt bother to ask what would happen if I did take it to work and it got hit there or in a Ship Rite parking lot, but like others have said you could be denied a claim and be screwed.. Chances of this happing are really slim but there is still a chance. Also cops may not really care about the QQ tags but if you go to work Mon-Fri the same route and see the same cops, eventually they may stop you about the QQ plates.

PolarBear 01-28-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsoxsstink (Post 898611)
do you have to have a classic car insurance policy? I know the dmv won't care but will the insurance company care that the car has QQ plates and is under a regular plan? I ask since my car is eligible for QQs but I don't since I'm under 25, most places won't insurance a driver unless they are 25 years old

You're putting too much thought into this. Neither the DMV nor the insurance companies care about the other so long as you have the proper documents. You have to go by what each says. So if you have Historic plates and INSURANCE you have to go by what MVC says. If you have COLLECTOR insurance and Historic plates then you have to abide by both. But if you can have "regular" insurance on an Historic plate vehicle.

There is also COLLECTOR Vehicle registration. That one is also limited by mileage by the MVC

WildBillyT 01-28-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsoxsstink (Post 898611)

Insurance must meet the state minimum. But that's it.

A word of caution though:

The NJ DMV has been cracking down on "modified QQ" cars, so be prepared to get into a fight if it doesn't look stock... or should I say look like the stock photos on Google Images. I think they gave Bear **** about his RS front end.

PolarBear 01-28-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 898617)
I think they gave Bear **** about his RS front end.

Yeah, but it was just Flemington's idiots that work there.

maroman88 01-28-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 898617)
Insurance must meet the state minimum. But that's it.

A word of caution though:

The NJ DMV has been cracking down on "modified QQ" cars, so be prepared to get into a fight if it doesn't look stock... or should I say look like the stock photos on Google Images. I think they gave Bear **** about his RS front end.

mmmhmmmmm

Teds89IROC 01-28-2014 02:33 PM

It was a limited production SS IROC lol. Hmm, I'm really stumped on what I should do. What's worse, having the QQ plates and potential harassment since it's modified, or keep the current up to date registration but not an up to date collector vehicle sticker.

zraffz 01-28-2014 02:46 PM

I looked into the QQ plates for my '69 and when you submit pictures of your car the exterior has to appear 100% stock with the exception of wheels. No aftermarket hoods, spoilers or so on.

jam01 01-28-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 898598)
my haggerty policy has no mileage limits. is that actually in the policy language?

i am almost positive it states that mileage limited. Flexible Usage

Classic and collector cars were made to be driven. Whether you’re going to a show or just taking a cruise to the ice cream shop, you’re protected. If you have specific questions about your car or usage, please don’t hesitate to contact us

that was on there website, i dont know if that is a custom policy or all of them.

BonzoHansen 01-28-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam01 (Post 898659)
i am almost positive it states that mileage limited. Flexible Usage

Classic and collector cars were made to be driven. Whether you’re going to a show or just taking a cruise to the ice cream shop, you’re protected. If you have specific questions about your car or usage, please don’t hesitate to contact us

that was on there website, i dont know if that is a custom policy or all of them.

you should actually review your policy. I'd be interested in seeing a hard mileage limit clause from haggery, unless you had an endorsement added to lower the cost. that was never presented as an option to me.

guys, remember your contract with the insurance company is those policy docs they send you, not what you read on the web or your broker tells you. if your broker/agent gives you bad info and something goes wrong I hope you have it in writing so you can sue the broker under his E&O policy. because the carrier goes by the actual policy (contract)

and insurance restrictions and state dmv restrictions are entirely unrelated.