NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Crawling around like a snake (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68223)

3.4 grape of wrath 12-17-2017 06:49 AM

Crawling around like a snake

After years of suffering from crawling around like a snake, I finally cracked down and bought a mechanics creeper. Recently I removed the trans from the camaro and was fixing an exhaust leak on the Altima. With all the back sliding and head raising the neck and back muscles said no more. Turning 60 yrs in August adds to the problem. Did some research and decided to try this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-97102-B...=lisle+plastic

deadtrend1 12-17-2017 08:35 AM

i find the concept of creepers great, but no matter when I use them, they seem to prevent me from doing the job because ....

-They put me just a tad too high that i cant move my body
-when trying to loosen/tighten a bolt, my im fighting to stop the creeper from moving me
-any bolt. screw, staple or small bit of dust stops the creeper dead
-i have to constant slide from the area to try and find the socket thats under the creeoer that is too high that i cant turn my head, and cant move the creeper cause its wheel is jammed on the tool that im trying to find

sweetbmxrider 12-17-2017 08:39 AM

Have the same one in red, love it.

Tru2Chevy 12-17-2017 04:01 PM

I have a very similar one from Harbor Freight. Useful for inspections and such under the Jeep, but I still don't use it all that often.

- Justin

3.4 grape of wrath 12-17-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1 (Post 945115)
i find the concept of creepers great, but no matter when I use them, they seem to prevent me from doing the job because ....

-They put me just a tad too high that i cant move my body
-when trying to loosen/tighten a bolt, my im fighting to stop the creeper from moving me
-any bolt. screw, staple or small bit of dust stops the creeper dead
-i have to constant slide from the area to try and find the socket thats under the creeoer that is too high that i cant turn my head, and cant move the creeper cause its wheel is jammed on the tool that im trying to find

That's funny, maybe I just need a mini that supports my head and is adjustable up and down.

ar0ck 12-18-2017 11:57 AM

I'd love to someday be able to use one, but until then I have to settle for a crummy sagging asphalt driveway with some cardboard.

Featherburner 12-18-2017 12:26 PM

I have pretty much retired my creeper since I installed my lift.

LS1ow 12-18-2017 02:24 PM

Ive been debating on grabbing one, but i think clearance will be an issue with my large front mounted beer and food tank.

Blackbirdws6 12-18-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 945160)
Ive been debating on grabbing one, but i think clearance will be an issue with my large front mounted beer and food tank.

The struggle is real my fluffy friend.

Teds89IROC 12-21-2017 03:07 PM

Looks like a nice one. I have a Jegs one that I used when I had a real cement floor but now that im on trap rock, plywood gets the duty

DirtyBird 12-22-2017 09:11 AM

Harbor freight moving blanket for me. Most the problems ive had with them deadtend highlighted haha

elle 12-22-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Featherburner (Post 945146)
I have pretty much retired my creeper since I installed my lift.

Same here. I have a like brand new snap on creeper that I haven't moved in prob 12 yrs

3.4 grape of wrath 12-24-2017 04:35 AM

I finished up the Altima yesterday using the new creeper, replaced the leaking exhaust flex pipe with a piece of straight pipe I had lying around. The creeper was great for moving in and out from under the car but was a pain at times hitting the car stands and ran over the drop light cord a couple of times. At one point I had to roll off of it due to clearance issue but all in all I'm glad I made the purchase. They due make a creeper with a brake on it to keep from rolling, I might try to rig something up. Next up I'll be installing the tranny back in the camaro.

unstable bob gable 12-24-2017 01:36 PM

At my last house the driveway had a steep incline. So It was always a chore to try and not roll out into traffic. Lol

IROCZman15 12-27-2017 06:15 AM

i have a nice creeper but it doesnt get much use. if I am in my garage then i just slide around on the diamondplate style vinyl tile floor. if i am out in the driveway I use some large pieces of scrap carpet or pieces of sheet foam-core board