NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PA Resident in NJ (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68473)

LTb1ow 06-13-2018 07:32 AM

PA Resident in NJ

Does anyone have any experience with being a out of state resident living in NJ?

-Big concern will be taxes, but I think PA has some agreement with NJ?
-Car registration, can that be left in NJ if DL says PA?

TaKid455 06-13-2018 08:25 AM

Fairly simple.

Keep all in PA. I assume you will retain a PA mail address? IF not, not a biggie.
Do your taxes in PA. You will do multi state filings. Accountant does that or you can.

If long term, technically there is a time frame. GF now wife retained her PA credentials for 7 years while being in NJ. No issues.

LTb1ow 06-13-2018 08:44 AM

Looking to buy a house in PA and switch residency there while maintaining current job and house in NJ.

Just curious what the ramifications will be.

Featherburner 06-13-2018 11:51 AM

To claim residence in one state over another you need to reside in one state for the majority of the time. So to claim PA residency, you would need to reside there 183 days per year. This may vary by state but the several I looked into, this was the case.

LTb1ow 06-13-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Featherburner (Post 948068)
To claim residence in one state over another you need to reside in one state for the majority of the time. So to claim PA residency, you would need to reside there 183 days per year. This may vary by state but the several I looked into, this was the case.

Yup, but not sure how they would check that. If one moves to a new state, they don't expect you to just live in limbo for a 183 days before giving you residency?

Either way, for the sake of this thread, I will meet the requirement of 183 days.

Frosty 06-13-2018 06:11 PM

When you say taxes, do you mean income tax? They just ended their agreement this year. I have a feeling that even if you're mainly living in PA, working in PA but still have stuff in NJ they're going to want their cut. I'd personally talk to an accountant, he/she would know best.

NJ is a whore when it comes to taxes. I bought my 18 Camaro a few days before moving to NJ and since I filed a partial NJ tax return(living in NJ for one month, December '17) they demanded I pay full sales tax on the car(like $3600) even though I paid that to PA. I had to jump through hoops with a bunch of documentation to prove I was a PA resident at the time of purchase otherwise they were going to slap a lien on ****....

LTb1ow 06-14-2018 06:52 AM

Yea, worried that my paycheck will get hit up by PA and NJ if I live in PA while working in NJ.

Frosty 06-14-2018 07:58 AM

You won't get hit twice, you'll pay NJ income tax. Before the law changed PA residents working in NJ paid PA tax which was nice...because it was less. If the law was the old way I would've been worried since NJ could argue that you're still a resident owning property in the state.

So now that I'm thinking about it...you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

LTb1ow 06-14-2018 08:50 AM

Alright, I mean there is nothing huge that would make me jump to be a PA resident other than what I thought would be a small tax break.

I will consult a accountant at some point pending how this journey goes.

Thanks guys

Frosty 06-14-2018 09:12 AM

Yeah unfortunately the law changed I believe it was sometime last year. So now regardless of residency any person working in New Jersey pays New Jersey State income tax

LTb1ow 06-14-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 948090)
Yeah unfortunately the law changed I believe it was sometime last year. So now regardless of residency any person working in New Jersey pays New Jersey State income tax

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

You sure Frosty?

Frosty 06-14-2018 03:34 PM

Great catch, I didn't realize Christie reversed his position on it. It was all but a done deal so I stopped following it. Disregard my post...so yeah...you're good to go.

Featherburner 06-15-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 948069)
Yup, but not sure how they would check that. If one moves to a new state, they don't expect you to just live in limbo for a 183 days before giving you residency?

Either way, for the sake of this thread, I will meet the requirement of 183 days.

Neighbors of my in-laws split their time between NJ and FL with FL being their primary residence. Florida requires receipts from purchases at local restaurants, gas stations, home improvement stores... to prove they are actually in Florida for the majority of their time.