NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   North Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Winter's here...Remote Starters? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64132)

Jersey Mike 10-25-2013 09:25 AM

Winter's here...Remote Starters?

Girlfriend wants one for her '99 Mustang. Just something basic to warm up the car from her bedroom window at 6AM during these cold winter mornings.

Anyone particularly pleased with a shop nearby Randolph or Wayne?

I spoke with Car Craft Audio in Dover & they said 300 installed.
Spoke with Rad of Radical Tunes in Wayne, and he said $150 installed.

Anyone else you guys recommend going to/staying away from?

Blackbirdws6 10-25-2013 09:31 AM

I know its a ride but I was happy with Zippos in East Brunswick off of Rt 18. They installed an Avital unit for $300 in my wifes Lex. The guy literally was whistling as he was working so that was a good sign. It's been in there for at least a couple years with no issue. It's a basic unit which is all I was looking for.

LTb1ow 10-25-2013 09:34 AM

Block heaters ftw

BonzoHansen 10-25-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 893214)
I know its a ride but I was happy with Zippos in East Brunswick off of Rt 18. They installed an Avital unit for $300 in my wifes Lex. The guy literally was whistling as he was working so that was a good sign. It's been in there for at least a couple years with no issue. It's a basic unit which is all I was looking for.

i hope their electrical work is better than their 'suspension' work. i saw some nightmares come out of there. they felt there was no better way to lower a car than with an acetylene torch to the springs.

NJ Torque 10-25-2013 09:57 AM

Stay away from AutoMate.

Blackbirdws6 10-25-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 893216)
i hope their electrical work is better than their 'suspension' work. i saw some nightmares come out of there. they felt there was no better way to lower a car than with an acetylene torch to the springs.

I wouldn't touch them for anything else but their electrical work was great from particular installer.

1320B4U 10-25-2013 10:23 AM

I had one installed many, many years ago at autosound plus in the Willowbrook mall (across from the movie theater)..never had an issue w/them or the device.

Rad from radical tunes was always a good guy too..always bought my audio stuff from him back in the day.

Anti_Rice_Guy 10-25-2013 10:44 AM

Service at Car Craft Audio is excellent. We've been doing business with them for a while.

I had them do a headunit and Sirius in my Explorer 5 years ago. When my Sirius randomly started working intermittently, I called Junior; he said to come right down, where they wired up the new antenna and I was out the door in a couple minutes, no questions asked.

FlyingDutchman 10-25-2013 11:18 AM

Mike, give Reed Audio a call over in Glen Rock. We've used them for car alarm issues/backup camera/and audio problems and they have always done top notch work and I don't think they were that expensive.

grazi 10-25-2013 03:26 PM

Jersey Michael, go to car craft.

RiggsLW81 10-27-2013 02:34 PM

I recommend Sound Waves in Parsippany. They installed a remote start on my wife's Scion 5 years ago, and it has worked flawlessly since. No issues at all.

They are a pro shop with pro installers. They are always doing very high end cars there, so that says something about the clientele. At least its not a place with slammed 95 civics out front and fartpipe exhausts, lol.

Jersey Mike 10-27-2013 03:39 PM

Some really great posts in here. Thanks guys, I'll be sure to call through all of the above.

89 Trans Am WS6 11-23-2013 06:06 AM

Orrrrrr just DIY! a 99 stang isnt to bad to do..... http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/896.html

And yes, a lot of installers will put a system in that will "be there for years"..but i have a feeling that most car guys will one day look under the dash and be rather upset about the way the wiring job looks/was done.

DEI products have always been my favorite.
Just sayin..but i am a month late with this post too. lol