NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spohn performance (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67813)

Whoboy580 06-07-2017 09:02 PM

Spohn performance

2 Attachment(s)
Let me start off by saying I thought Spohn was a good company but with my last dealing with them they showed there true colors. I have a 86 Camaro and 90% of my suspension is Spohn. Some I bought new and some I bought used.

So i bought a used Spohn k member couple years ago and it didn't have the rack and pinion mounts so in 11/2016 I bought Spohn rack and pinion kit. In 12/2016 I received my order. In December I started to installing the mounts and had a question about the install and asked for a measurement between the two mounts, and possible a closer picture since the instruction they gave with it sucked, so after a few days Spohn called me and said there was nothing they can do to help answer my question and they only thing they can recommend is to center the rack and make it level. I said you should have the measurement from your jig you use to build the k members with the brackets on them. They once again said we can't help you. So I did what they said and luckily i had a few people who used this product help me by sending me measurements and the photos.

So now by January of 2017 I get it all weld it in and painted and start making my connections from the rack to my steering column (aftermarket lighten). So I had to get a bracket machined to hold the joints up. Now work picks up at work for a few months and I have no time to work on my car. So when work slows down and I finish all the steering stuff, set up an appointment to get my car aligned. NOTE: The whole time my car is on jack stand in the garage. The shop I have a appointment at machine breaks. So they get the machine fixed and i get another appointment. So I try and get the alignment done and my mechanic notices my tie rod on the pass side is bent.

So last week I call and Spohn said we need photos, I send them the photos over the weekend. Monday morning I get an email to call this number and ask for Dan. I call and Dan tells me I bent it and they wouldn't ship something out like that. I explain once again i haven't even drove the car it's been trailered. He still says I bent it. That they can sell me a new tie rod. I tell him I am not buying it since I didn't do it and I ask to speak to the manager. He says that's himself. Now I am pissed and once again I said I am not buying for something I didn't break. So I ask to speak to the owner. Dan said he is in the shop, and I said have him call me. Monday afternoon around 4:00 I call again speak to another guy same thing he said he knows all about my tie rod and nothing he can do and once again ask for the boss to call me. Tuesday comes still no call, Wednesday (today) I call around 4:00 ask to speak to the owner. Owner is out of his office but they forward me to
His voicemail. As of right now still no call.

Look at the pictures and you will see it wasn't from me, it was from SPOHN.

ThoR294 06-07-2017 09:26 PM

holy crap thats a huge bend. I honestly have not heard good things about spohn. I hope something works out for you!

dgPltt 06-07-2017 10:17 PM

Wow that sucks, hope the owner takes some responsibility. I'm going with the BMR kit after reading this.

wretched73 06-07-2017 10:43 PM

Something about this guy is fishy...

LTb1ow 06-08-2017 06:09 AM

Looks like it was used to tie down on a trailer.

LS1ow 06-08-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 938554)
Looks like it was used to tie down on a trailer.

That.

My first thought was thats what it looks like when you throw a J hook on a tie rod and pull it onto a flatbed.

When the car was bought to the shop, did you drive it there or was it towed?

ThoR294 06-08-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 938556)
That.

My first thought was thats what it looks like when you throw a J hook on a tie rod and pull it onto a flatbed.

I would like to think people would be smarter than that :facepalm:

LS1ow 06-08-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 938559)
I would like to think people would be smarter than that :facepalm:

Smarter? im sure. Care? prob not.

Tow truck drivers are a huge range. Theres some that do every thing they can to make sure the car will make it off the bed without the bumper even touching by a hair. And theres some that treat every car like its just being dropped off for scrap. I see both ends of the spectrum with all the tow ins we get :facepalm:

sweetbmxrider 06-08-2017 07:00 AM

I know a guy that hooked an inner tie rod end once.....he learned real quick to look twice :lol: He did manage to get a new one installed before the customer picked up their car on a holiday weekend.....happens to the best of us 8-)

PolarBear 06-08-2017 07:39 AM

I saw his post on Facebook. I highly doubt this is a Spohn issue, since why would he have assembled it with the bent tie in the first place? This had to have happened after assembly and is not Spohns issue to deal with

Blackbirdws6 06-08-2017 08:05 AM

Crappy situation but the bend is noticeable enough that I would assume this would be seen out of the box or at least mocked up on the car.

Jersey Mike 06-08-2017 02:00 PM

I'm not speculating anything. Just curious to hear what Spohn has to say, or if you ever get that call back.

The_Bishop 06-08-2017 02:16 PM

Why would Spohn do anything more than say: We didn't do it?

There's *no* way that would have been un-noticed out of the box and during assembly unless the installer was completely blind and had no sense of touch. I agree with the others here: That got used as a tow point or an anchor when the car was on a trailer. Not Spohn's responsibility.

MDSheds_SS 06-08-2017 07:22 PM

Sorry about your luck... I have a flaming river manual rack for sale if that helps.

MDSheds_SS 06-08-2017 09:08 PM

http://a64.tinypic.com/4zz1us.jpg
There is always a safer way to tie down your car.

LS1ow 06-09-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDSheds_SS (Post 938591)
http://a64.tinypic.com/4zz1us.jpg
There is always a safer way to tie down your car.

Im impressed.

btw, saw the post on the Fbody Empire Facebook page. They were NOT kind to this guy lol

LTb1ow 06-09-2017 08:25 AM

No screen shots???

Cmon

ThoR294 06-09-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 938596)
No screen shots???

Cmon

that group has like 40k members and it says 931 active posts. no way im finding it lol

LS1ow 06-09-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 938597)
that group has like 40k members and it says 931 active posts. no way im finding it lol

925 of them are about doing the trap door

ThoR294 06-09-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 938598)
925 of them are about doing the trap door

i need that swat team trap door mod picture... :bertstare:

I tried skimming didnt see post

sweetbmxrider 06-09-2017 09:07 AM

I like the trailer fender anchor point

deadtrend1 06-10-2017 08:43 PM

Couldve used shorter straps by rolling the windows down and going through them....

unstable bob gable 06-11-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1 (Post 938642)
Couldve used shorter straps by rolling the windows down and going through them....

This post made me spit up a bit of Diet Dew as I started laughing. Good show!